Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wind turbine

• 06-09-2011 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭

a question for the tech heads out there.i put up a home made vawt made out of blue barrels and it seems to be okay but i have 2 barrels on a shaft between bearings and one above it in savigion fashion at 120 degrees to each other .i reckon now the top barrel will be subjected to too much centrifugal force and will bend.would the turbine be as effective with extra barrels between the two bearings on the shaft ,either at 90 or 120 degrees to each orther .hope you get the gist of what i am tryin to ask

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I understand the question - and I have no answer... :(

But am very intrigued - any chance you could put up a few pics? What is the turbine doing exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have a half grasp of the question, I had to read it 4 times. It would be so much easier to read if you used proper punctuation such as capital letters, commas, spaces between words and full stops.

sorry for being a nitpicker

I recon that you would have less chance of the barrels bending if you put them at 90 degrees to each other.

Would love to see some pictures too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Sorry,a bit of a texter ,will try and do photos. Pumping water,might get it pumping today if i can bet the kids to finish their homework,google " diy windturbine"that will give you an idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

keep going wrote: »
    Sorry,a bit of a texter ,will try and do photos. Pumping water,might get it pumping today if i can bet the kids to finish their homework,google " diy windturbine"that will give you an idea

Jaysus, keep_going - more information again needed now... ;)

Pumping water - how? What height?

You'll have to explain it all now, no other way around it, now that we know it exists... ;)

On a serioous note, I am madly interested in it, and would love to hear more on how you went about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Im trying to pump it up to a tank maybe 50+ft up.yerra everything im using was in the yard bar a length of flat galv 50mm bar.i tried an old diaphram milk pump this evenin and it pumped away but only reachs just below the tank. The milk pump pumps too much water at a time and slows down the turbine.what i need is some sort of small piston pump or diaphram pump and i,m going to work it off a crank.a sprayer pump or some sort of ram with 2 one way valves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Gear it down slightly? Pump at a slightly slower speed to take the load of the turbine.. You may have a problem in a gale that the turnine will spin it'self out of control.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi OP, well done so far. I think you have 3 barrels up, 2 at one level and one on top? You are thinking maybe of trying 4 barrels all at one level, at 90 degrees?

You should be able to gear down the milk pump by putting a bigger pulley on the pump and smaller pulley driving it. (think of the gears on a bike)

Good windy weather for it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement