Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation- worth doing yourself?

• 06-09-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Parents house does not have any insulation in the attic. Approx area is 140sqm. Currently looking for quotes to have this done.

Would be interested to hear if there is much to be saved in doing this job myself or how difficult it is. No experience in doing it before. aprox how much would it cost to buy insulation, 12inches, to install myself based on peoples experience and is there a specific insulation type i should look at?

Thanks in advance for replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never done it but it the attic space is straightforward in nature I can't see why you couldn't do it. Is it well lit is it full of stuff,and does it already have wood fixed down for walking on? Planning and Preparation is the key to this sort of job.

standard roll from woodies
    http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=2048&loc=P&catid=110.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

bouli73 wrote: »
    Parents house does not have any insulation in the attic. Approx area is 140sqm. Currently looking for quotes to have this done.

Would be interested to hear if there is much to be saved in doing this job myself or how difficult it is. No experience in doing it before. aprox how much would it cost to buy insulation, 12inches, to install myself based on peoples experience and is there a specific insulation type i should look at?

Thanks in advance for replies

Yea defo worth doing yourself, just make sure not to block any of the vents in the soffit. If there's no insulation down at the minute, they would probably notice a major difference with some put between the joists. The DIY Chains always do specials on it, some times when they are getting ready for their "christmas" shops (should be any time now really :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Have you thought about applying for the government insulation grant see www.seai.ie/hes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

do it yourself, just don't forget about retaining a 50mm airspace at the eaves between felt and insulation to allow external air to circulate and stop things getting damp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

as Smcgie suggested it is worth looking at getting a grant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mike65 wrote: »
    Never done it but it the attic space is straightforward in nature I can't see why you couldn't do it. Is it well lit is it full of stuff,and does it already have wood fixed down for walking on? Planning and Preparation is the key to this sort of job.

standard roll from woodies
    http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=2048&loc=P&catid=110.0

Jesus Christ allmighty.......

Why do people think that Woodies is a good place and cheap too???:rolleyes:

Total ripp off.

ANY builders providers will hammer Woodies prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I didn't I merely used that as an example. People are free to check other suppliers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Price around the insulation companies. When I was building two years ago I got a firm to supply and install for slightly less than I could purchase myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Price around for the price of rolls. I think there is 100mm rolls and 200mm rolls - you could put the 100mm between the joists and then rolls the 200mm over them giving you a total of 300mm which is now reccomended. You'll need about 20 rolls of each though.

As someone said get the attic clear and have access. I wouldn't take it on by myself - get some help - 1 or 2 extra lads and you should get it done in a day.

A couple of rules to keep in mind - dont block the eaves to allow ventilation to attic. Dont cover recessed lights - leave about 3" gap around; dont cover high voltage cables - they can overheat; dont insulate under the water tanks - let heat from house up to it so it doesn't freeze. With the attic that well insulated you better insulate the pipe work up there so it doesnt freeze up and burst in the winter.

If your parents own the house, it was built before 2002 and they are recieving a fuel allowance then they may be entitled to get it done for free (or a little charge depending on the area) under the Warmer Homes Scheme run by SEAI - the work is carried out by your local Community Based Organisation.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement