Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could live the life of a fictional character?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

As it says.......who would it be?.
    I have read hundreds of books containing some brilliant characters ,but for me the life that most appeals to me would be that of Uhtred of Bebbanburg , in Bernard Cornwells series set in anglo/saxon britain.

I love RR Martins ,Game of Thrones series,but none of their lives appeal to me.........too short:D.

So if you could ,who would it be Sherlock Holmes?,Paul Atreides from Dune?,Leopold Bloom from Ulysses?,Judge Holden from Blood Meridian?....or something more sedate?.....Huckleberry finn?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Raoul Duke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Sir Harry Paget Flashman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

A toss-up between Shantaram and Jack Shaftoe, King of the Vagabonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

Dr Doolittle (a female version) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Twoflower from the Discworld novels, what a happy, innocent life that would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Henry Chinaski or maybe Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Emiko wrote: »
    ...Jack Shaftoe, King of the Vagabonds.

Aka 'Half-cocked Jack'? Err, no thanks! Harry Flashman is more the thing, well maybe not the slave trading stuff, or the frequent torture, or the constant state of terror, so well maybe not Flashy either.

It's Jack Aubrey for me. Or maybe Samwise Gamgee,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Sal Paradise On The Road

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Pip from Great Expectations. It would be amazing to see London back then, and the marshes which for me were kind of hard to understand until you realise the huge lack of infrastructure as we know it. And that horrible class system.
    Actually, any of Dickens characters

Also, John Blackthorne from Shogun. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to discover such a culture, at first savage but after a time, in some ways so progressive, hygiene and sex for the main part

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

Gandalf the Grey :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

Casanova

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Mara from Feist's Empire Trilogy as I find her development and view on the world interesting, or maybe May-May from Tai-Pan...cunning, clever but delicate to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Tom Sawyer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Mr. Darcy of Pembleton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Brandon Stark. I want to inhabit trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Lady Chatterleys lover

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Great thread.

Tomas from Feist's series.

Kemp or Yehman from the rum diary.

Toru or Naoko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Billy Pilgrim from Slaughterhouse 5. Not knowing what part of your life you are going to wake up in...excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Manach wrote: »
    Mr. Darcy of Pembleton.
    Do you mean Mr Darcy of Pemberley or is this one of his cousins?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Also, John Blackthorne from Shogun. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to discover such a culture, at first savage but after a time, in some ways so progressive, hygiene and sex for the main part

Yeah I agree Blackthorne's experience is one that would be interesting to live through.

• Advertisement

Do you mean Mr Darcy of Pemberley or is this one of his cousins?
    Any one of his landed cousins would do. So long as it is not in one of those alternative histories worlds (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Desmond 'Coyote' from the Mars trilogy, stowaway about the Ares, colony ship to Mars, living in the ships greenhouse and being hidden by the farm crew, eventually becoming a critical part of the rebellion and uprising, living in the city zygote under the south polar cap and being an ambassador for the Mars underground.

The guy sure gets around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Tyler Durden, cant get more fictional than that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

Dirk Pitt ... from the Clive Cussler books
    #

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Jesus, from best selling book 'The Bible'. Nice guy, popular with his friends. He hit a few rough patches, but it all worked out in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Jesus, from best selling book 'The Bible'. Nice guy, popular with his friends. He hit a few rough patches, but it all worked out in the end.

Its fictional not fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

If we're allowed Fantasy and Sci-fi then I'd opt for either Aiken Drum or Marc Remillard from Julian May's The Saga of the Exiles.

If we're being more realistic then how about the narrator of At Swim-Two-Birds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Dorian Gray

KTRIC wrote: »
    Its fictional not fantasy.
    Historical figure, not fictional. (IMO based on a classics course.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Bertie Wooster - a comfortable, carefree life!

Advertisement