Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best in season irish fish

Options
  • 06-09-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    just wondering if people could recommend the best fish for this time of year?

Obviously oysters are back in season but I'm cooking for a dinner party for five on Friday. It's a special birthday so I'd really appreciate any recommendations or even reciepes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hake is great this time of year.
    Mackerel is also good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hake and Mussels. Queen scallops are awesome aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Hi,
    just wondering if people could recommend the best fish for this time of year?

Obviously oysters are back in season but I'm cooking for a dinner party for five on Friday. It's a special birthday so I'd really appreciate any recommendations or even reciepes.

You're gonna love this link www.eattheseasons.co.uk

They update it every Wednesday with the latest list of what's in season! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

+1 for hake. Good dinner party fish too.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    +1 for hake. Good dinner party fish too.

and it's stocks are really really healthy at the mo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

duploelabs wrote: »
    and it's stocks are really really healthy at the mo

I find it hard to believe that the stocks of any wild fish are healthy at the moment. World wide fishing practices and the waste involved has really put me off eating wild fish that I haven't caught myself (and I haven't fished in over a year!:mad:).

I do love hake, though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Thanks everyone,

hake it is! Found a lovely Rick Stein recipe for hake en papillot with a home made tapenade and slow roasted tomoatoes.

Looks absolutely gorgeous.

There was another one wtih a morel mushroom sauce which looked fabulous.

Scallops crossed my mind but I was worried they'd be terribly pricey. I'm cooking for five including a very hungry person who usually eats an extra portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Hake is very tasty. Fish for dinner me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had Hake tonight.
    Singapore style
    OT
    Most Hake is caught by Gillnet boats which is actually quite a selective way of catching fish and any bycatch is usually fish which is of a good marketable size.
    The Hake stock is pretty healthy right now, due in part to the Spanish Gillnet fleet being kept out of some areas in the Irish Box for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

This fish stew recipe from Valentine Warner works really with a firm white fish like hake - and it is stunningly delicious. If it's a little rustic for a dinner party, it is perfect for large crowds like a bonfire party.

• Advertisement

I find it hard to believe that the stocks of any wild fish are healthy at the moment. World wide fishing practices and the waste involved has really put me off eating wild fish that I haven't caught myself (and I haven't fished in over a year!:mad:).

I do love hake, though;)

Hake, Mackerel, sardines, skate, flounder, dover + lemon sole, john dory (one of my favourite), Ling and Pollock are all really healthy. And before you mock the latter, I'll dare anyone to take the Pepsi challenge with cod on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

duploelabs wrote: »
    Hake, Mackerel, sardines, skate, flounder, dover + lemon sole, john dory (one of my favourite), Ling and Pollock are all really healthy. And before you mock the latter, I'll dare anyone to take the Pepsi challenge with cod on it.

I have a problem with any fish that's caught in a drag net ie the skate, flounder, dover, lemon sole and John Dory you mention.
    Those fish might have healthy stocks but what about all the other species that are indiscriminately dragged off the sea bed and chucked overboard, dead. Not to mention what it must do to the sea bed!

I have a problem with any fish that's caught in a drag net ie the skate, flounder, dover, lemon sole and John Dory you mention.
    Those fish might have healthy stocks but what about all the other species that are indiscriminately dragged off the sea bed and chucked overboard, dead. Not to mention what it must do to the sea bed!

you never mentioned about how they're caught???? I was referring to the stock levels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

mussels are so cheap at the moment and absolutely delicious, to be honest i've actually reached saturation point as i've eaten so many in the last few weeks.

haddock is plentiful at the moment and gorgeous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Picked up 2 large fillets of hake from a place in the Liberties for €2, how can they sell it that cheap, is it down to surplus?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This thread hasn't been posted in in 3 years, so I'm closing it as a zombie thread. Feel free to start a new thread with your question in the main Food & Drink forum if you'd like.

In case anyone wonders why I'm doing this, it's because a lot of people will reply to the first post without noticing the date, rather than replying to the post that bumped the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement