Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Shed- Smart Sheds

Options
  • 06-09-2011 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hi

I ordered a shed from this place www.smartsheds.ie about 6 weeks ago, at the time I paid a small deposit for a garden shed 3m x 3m and was advised there would be a 4 weeks lead time.

Unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet and I'm getting worried, the landline at the office we purchased from appears disconnected, the mobile number we spoke to the supplier on now either rings off or is on voicemail constantly...

Having left numerous messages and recieved no response I am getting concerned. As anyone has any similar experiences with this company?

Ta.

BG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

The Tralee branch has closed. There unit is now up for rent I saw this morning. As far as I know they are based in Mallow also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 vHOST

have you paid advance using credit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Biker1892

The company is still operating from Tralee, Bishopstown and Mallow in cork not sure of Dublin but the unit that is for rent in Tralee is the old production office which is now in Mallow, the sales office is still there and they have a sales outlet in Bishopstown in Cork, best bet would be to ring Mallow if possible of get on to one of the sales offices and get the number, I know the sales office is still in Tralee as I was in there today and I found out the info on the old building and Dublin, when I was there I seen fitters leaving on a truck with a fill loan so sheds must still be being made and fitted, hope this helps you but keep on to the sales offices to get the manufacturing number if it's not on golden pages that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Curtin

As far as I understand Smart Sheds is also Cork sheds, I believe they are the same company. They use the same logo on their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

A similar garage/shed company has closed 'again' this past few days on the dock road in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Curtin

That was the company hannons sheds, as far as I know they have opened and closed several times over the past few years and that they have had a few offices around Munster that have come and gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

Hannon sheds manufacturing base is in Tralee down the road from smart sheds. They are still open as they are next to where I work. They have closed a few show rooms/ yards over the years when they have got quite in that area.

Hannon sheds have closed their depots in Limerick and in Tralee as I know one of the guys working in Hannon Sheds and the owner closed up doors last Tuesday I think and from what I haev heard he has left the country and like people have said before they have opened and closed a few times. As for smart sheds and cork sheds they are the same company as I found this out when I was in their too they have the manufacturing depot in Mallow and a sales office in Bishopstown I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

Update- The Smart Sheds centre that I ordered from has gone to ground. Their Office is gone all the display sheds have gone and the number I had is just going to voicemail.

I phoned their head office and after 10 weeks of phonecalls I eventually cancelled my order and requested my deposit back. So 14 weeks now in total since I first ordered my shed and had a foundation built and I am without a shed and my deposit.

From what I have heard there are others in this situation, so word of caution before dealing with these people, they have failed to return my deposit after weeks of promising they 'would post it today', they failed to deliver a shed after weeks of promising it would be 'this week'.

Avoid SmartSheds.ie- Poor Customer Service, and shoddy practices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

If you paid by credit or bank card,then the banks can get your money back for you.

I think that there also might be a way of getting back money from a bust company vith the govermeant,but Im not 100% sure on that.

Once you have proof of deposit/purchase reciept though.

The consumer right authority will best advize you on this.

www.itsyourmoney.ie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

CTU_Agent wrote: »
    Update- The Smart Sheds centre that I ordered from has gone to ground. Their Office is gone all the display sheds have gone and the number I had is just going to voicemail.

I phoned their head office and after 10 weeks of phonecalls I eventually cancelled my order and requested my deposit back. So 14 weeks now in total since I first ordered my shed and had a foundation built and I am without a shed and my deposit.

From what I have heard there are others in this situation, so word of caution before dealing with these people, they have failed to return my deposit after weeks of promising they 'would post it today', they failed to deliver a shed after weeks of promising it would be 'this week'.

Avoid SmartSheds.ie- Poor Customer Service, and shoddy practices.

small claims?

paddy147 wrote: »
    If you paid by credit or bank card,then the banks can get your money back for you.

I think that there also might be a way of getting back money from a bust company vith the govermeant,but Im not 100% sure on that.

Once you have proof of deposit/purchase reciept though.

The consumer right authority will best advize you on this.

www.itsyourmoney.ie
    MidlandsM wrote: »
    where are you based CTU?
    I can recommend a good guy to sort you if required.

Thanks, Embarrisingly, I have no reciept believe it or not. :o Not sure why I didn't get a copy of one..And I paid my deposit in cash at their office in Dublin. Wudn't mind but when we ordered he phoned me twice looking for the deposit so he could 'order the shed straight away'. I am in Meath myself, and I have since arranged another shed with another company. Even an hour ago when I phoned their supposed accountant -number I got from their head office- I was told I will check that for you and get back to you. FFS what is it going to take to get this shower to actually follow through on something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

CTU_Agent wrote: »
    Thanks, Embarrisingly, I have no reciept believe it or not. :o Not sure why I didn't get a copy of one..And I paid my deposit in cash at their office in Dublin. Wudn't mind but when we ordered he phoned me twice looking for the deposit so he could 'order the shed straight away'. I am in Meath myself, and I have since arranged another shed with another company. Even an hour ago when I phoned their supposed accountant -number I got from their head office- I was told I will check that for you and get back to you. FFS what is it going to take to get this shower to actually follow through on something.

You can get a copy of your phone records from your phone service provider,and you can actually request a transcript of the phone call,this would be proof enough that you paid a deposit and paid for a service that you failed to get.

You can also go to the small claims court and get your money back this way too.

I think its around 15 or 20 euro to make a claim with the SCC,but it might very well be the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emmaj1

smart sheds and cork sheds are the same company and i know they took a €15000.deposit of a customer .they never got their shed.the director thomas o sullivan is so gutless he wont even answer the phone now. their is a shed company based in newmarket co cork and they do a very good steel shed.i was very happy to deal with them (munstersheds.ie)

emmaj1 wrote: »
    smart sheds and cork sheds are the same company and i know they took a €15000.deposit of a customer .they never got their shed.the director thomas o sullivan is so gutless he wont even answer the phone now. their is a shed company based in newmarket co cork and they do a very good steel shed.i was very happy to deal with them (munstersheds.ie)

Hey, yes these are the same people, I've spoke to Thomas before and listened to his empty promises about when I will get my shed and then when I will get my deposit back.. !

I eventually got the number for the person responsible for issuing refund deposits- Frank 083 1055580. If anyone else is stuck without a shed and without their deposit back phoning him seems to have worked for me...

I too have heard from people that dealt with Smart Sheds and have been let down badly and not recieved any refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rasher2

does anyone know if this crowd are still operating out of their premises in Tralee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gwinger

No, they are gone since last week, just some sheds still there, but lots of people calling looking for them.

Also gone in Mallow and Bishopstown in Cork, Cork Sheds that is, as they are the same company. All phone numbers disconnected. Impossible to contact anybody to get my substantial deposit back. The number mentioned above for Frank is also out of use. Any other suggestions on getting my money back?

Fecker called Jonathan from Tralee Office told me week before last that I'd have no problem getting my money back. Also a guy called Martin Murnane in Cork Sheds said he'd never do the dirt on me. Well unless they can change their names and move home there gona have a few 'guys' looking for them so if your readin ths lads.............

Smartsheds have totally gone from Tralee there was a flat bed truck in there on Saturday and carried all the sheds that were there at the time. Also if people have a gripe with employees such as Martin, Jonathan and Frank it is not their fault it all boils down to the MD of the company so putting threats online about them aint a good idea as they were doing their job and probably been told what to do and say from Tomas.

• Advertisement

Sounds like Biker 1892 you know a bit more. So please let us have it as I'm one of those who's been ripped off by more than one, and probably all, of those you speak so kindly of. I'm left without shed and money!

Friend of mine works in the same yard and has been talking to the ex fitters there and he tells me company is totally gone and that a flat bed truck took all the remaining sheds out of the yard on Saturday all I know is alot of people have been calling into my friend asking questions I'd there were still in operation and he tells me that the fitters were gone first and Jonathan dis not come back after the bank holiday weekend and he was on holidays the week before that, and from what I've been told alot of the employees are owed alot of money so it ain't just people with sheds ordered who have got caught, tralee is a small town and word gets round very fast

Biker you'll forgive me if I lack a little sympathy for these guys.

I was waiting for two months to get my shed and at all times I was told in no uncertain terms by all of the aforementioned gentleman (except Frank who I could never reach) that not only would I have no problem getting my shed but there was no problem with the solvency of the company (even when I specifically asked this question) and that if I wanted I could get my money back at any time. This charade continued right up until a couple of weeks ago when Jonathan told me he was going on a 'weeks holiday' and would refund me my deposit if I so wished on his return. Martin Murnane said he would never do the dirt on me yet he must have known something was going as he never got back to me. I always had to ring him. When I did speak to him there was always some new problem or some missing details which were delaying my order. I began to suspect and I think he knew all along that there was another reason.

I am self employed and out of work for the next four months because of an injury. I am not entitled to any social welfare payments. These guys took €1200 from me for something which I believe they knew they could never supply. I know businesses go bust all the time but it was the two faced bravado with which our 'acquaitance' Jonathan constantly assured me on the phone that nothing was wrong. Thinking back his demeanor on the phone belied any trace of conscience about what he knew was going to happen

I can sense your frustration but my friend, who used talk to Jonathan alot as they worked in the same yard tells me that Jonathan had no idea that the company was going to close and that he himself is owed money and its more than twice of your deposit so to say that he knew that the company is going to close I dunno if thats right as he was waiting for a completion of a job to get his wages to what he was owed, and as for the fitters they were also in the same boat. I dunno what the story is going to be with the money owed to everyone and owed to employees but I think that Tomas (MD) needs to step up to the plate and do the decent thing.

It sounds like your friend is swallowing the said Jonathan's salesman's bulls..t as the guards are now investigating him for taking deposits that he did not turn into the company, so in other words, no shed ordered as such. So the guards are worth a call, hoping that they'll shed some light on things (excuse the pun, but I'm not going to let them take our sense of humour too).

any further word on whats happening with this crowd in Tralee or how you might go about getting your money back from a receiver or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Hi guys,
    I had been looking at ordering from this crowd, but thankfully hadnt paid in a deposit before they closed down.

Does anyone know is there anyone else in Ireland who supplies fibre cement sheds, similar to smart sheds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emmaj1

skywalker wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I had been looking at ordering from this crowd, but thankfully hadnt paid in a deposit before they closed down.

Does anyone know is there anyone else in Ireland who supplies fibre cement sheds, similar to smart sheds?
    munster sheds in cork do fiber cement sheds
    www.munstersheds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭chili_fecker

Lads any update on people getting their money back from this shower of gangsters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have heard of smartsheds, did not know they had finished operations, another sad story, fine businesses shutting down, people out of work, where and when will it stop.

Advertisement