Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going travelling, what to do with guns?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

hey can anyone help me out, im heading off for a year and wondering what the best thing to do with my guns while i am gone.

they are all licenced and will be for the duration of my trip. but as far as im aware they cant be left in the house while im not there.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Leave them with an RFD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

As above

I put all my fire arms in with a good friendly dealer who kept them all safe and sound while I was on a sun soaked piss up of a holiday in Benidorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

but as far as im aware they cant be left in the house while im not there.
    First iv'e heard of that,If they are locked in the safe I don't see a problem,when people are on holiday or just in work isn't it the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

If you live in Dublin, storage may cost you.
    I know one RFD who was charging to store firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

marlin vs wrote: »
    First iv'e heard of that,If they are locked in the safe I don't see a problem,when people are on holiday or just in work isn't it the same.
    No law against leaving them in the safe - it's meant to be secure storage, after all, approved by the CPO.
    That said, I wouldn't do it myself - being away from the house for two weeks has a slightly higher risk level than being away from it for ten or twelve hours; if someone got in, they'd have a lot more time to work on getting the safe off the wall and out the door unless you've a house alarm. I'd leave mine in with an RFD (which is where mine actually live at the moment since my RFD and my range are in the same spot).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

hey can anyone help me out, im heading off for a year and wondering what the best thing to do with my guns while i am gone.

they are all licenced and will be for the duration of my trip. but as far as im aware they cant be left in the house while im not there.

I went to America there last year to work. Was enquiring with a RFD about storage, He wanted €5 per gun per week ! thats grand if your away for a week or two but I was away for nearly a year. Left them at home in the safe and hid the bolts of the rifles and the fore grips of the shotguns along with all ammo in the attic just in case. There was nearly always someone here in the house but i wasnt takin any chances.

I was able to leave my firarms in with my local friendly RFD while I was away in Benidorm for my yearly break of Sun Sea Sex and Booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

as said above id take all bolts, slides and fireing pins out of the guns and leave them in the house. give all the bits to a friend that will keep them safe for you.
    that way if anything did happen you would have all the working bits. and that is how i store my firearms every day. l leave all working parts in my moms so firearms are useless without them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

dax121 wrote: »
    as said above id take all bolts, slides and fireing pins out of the guns and leave them in the house. give all the bits to a friend that will keep them safe for you.
    that way if anything did happen you would have all the working bits. and that is how i store my firearms every day. l leave all working parts in my moms so firearms are useless without them. :)

Dax121 - Your idea sounds good but technically your mom would be in possession of illegally held firearms if the Gardai find parts of your guns in her house. Every individual part of your firearm (bolt, stock, trigger, down to the screws etc etc) is classed as a firearm when split up so technically your Mom could be "done" for having the bolt off your rifle in her possession. Sounds stupid, I mean how can a stock (which is basically a piece of wood) be classed as a firearm, but unfortunately it is.

I'd go with the RFD option. It might cost a couple of quid, but well worth it for peace of mind.

And don't go giving a gun dealer €5 per week as mentioned earlier in the thread. That would be mad money. There must be cheaper RFD's out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

thanks for the advice, there will be someone in the house almost all the time when im gone and there are all in alarmed safes which have been inspected and approved by the cpo but i might still ring rfd to get prices on leaving them in.

do the gaurds take them in the park by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Dax121 - Your idea sounds good but technically your mom would be in possession of illegally held firearms if the Gardai find parts of your guns in her house. Every individual part of your firearm (bolt, stock, trigger, down to the screws etc etc) is classed as a firearm when split up so technically your Mom could be "done" for having the bolt off your rifle in her possession. Sounds stupid, I mean how can a stock (which is basically a piece of wood) be classed as a firearm, but unfortunately it is.

I'd go with the RFD option. It might cost a couple of quid, but well worth it for peace of mind.

And don't go giving a gun dealer €5 per week as mentioned earlier in the thread. That would be mad money. There must be cheaper RFD's out there.
    i actually have them in a safe in my moms and the guards would have no reason to search my moms house.
    anyway i think the gardi in all their wisdom would agree it better than said scumbag getting a hold of a complete firearm. and if i could bring down all bolts etc if anything ever did happen id think they would be happy that my full working kit isnt on the streets :)

dax121 wrote: »
    BattleCorp wrote: »

i actually have them in a safe in my moms and the guards would have no reason to search my moms house.
    anyway i think the gardi in all their wisdom would agree it better than said scumbag getting a hold of a complete firearm. and if i could bring down all bolts etc if anything ever did happen id think they would be happy that my full working kit isnt on the streets :)

Sense prevails.
    To me what your doing is as good as gets

Advertisement