Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorola XOOM €399 (32Gb)

Options
  • 06-09-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Motorola XOOM is now €399 on FNAC.com

Great offer for those who have the €100 voucher on the way!

Link

A fair few retailers in Europe seem to be dropping the price. At that price it'll cost you the same as a 16Gb model ASUS Transformer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Same price in Curry's and PC World too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

The reviews are really poor. Seems support this side of Atlantic is muck. See Amazon reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

A little off topic but.. I bought a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab on ebay for £307+$10p&p - it was refurbished but when I opened it it was as good as new. Im very happy with it. The ebay supplier has a good rating and the delivery was next day (to aunts in NI).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alt_M

settings wrote: »
    A little off topic but.. I bought a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab on ebay for £307+$10p&p - it was refurbished but when I opened it it was as good as new. Im very happy with it. The ebay supplier has a good rating and the delivery was next day (to aunts in NI).

That's pretty decent value, I'd love a Tab 10.1 but its a bit out of my price range!

As for the poor support, kinda put me off it! had made up my mind that I wan't the XOOM over the Transformer (Xoom has double the storage for the same price)

This tablet craic is wreaking my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

bazwaldo wrote: »
    The reviews are really poor. Seems support this side of Atlantic is muck. See Amazon reviews.
    Have a friend that has one in the US. It's essentially an expensive paper weight. Do not buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

That's a bit drastic, its a very capable tablet, same spec as the galaxy tab 10.1 and the Transformer.

Some thoughts on it from the Android Forum

Oh and its £329 from Amazon.co.uk for those people without FNAC vouchers...

Have a friend that has one in the US. It's essentially an expensive paper weight. Do not buy.

Hmmm initially it was suppose to be dire but a fair few bugs have been fixed in honeycomb 3.1 & 3.2, might be a good option now that it's been patched up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Em, that has been proven to be incorrect. Its one of the more capable devices out on the market at the moment with a extremely solid build.

Re read the reviews on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Thing that lets it down, in my mind, is no IPS screen. Otherwise should be decent until the next round of tablets in December. Currently your options are hannspad for 200, xoom/iconia for 300 (fnac) , transformer for 400 and samsung 10.1 for 479. The xoom/iconia is a very tempting price at 300

voxpop wrote: »
    Thing that lets it down, in my mind, is no IPS screen. Otherwise should be decent until the next round of tablets in December

Is it really that necessary on a tab? coupled with battery life ?

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Is it really that necessary on a tab? coupled with battery life ?

Nah just nicer - xoom has v. good battery life. Ive ordered one so Im stuck with it now :)

Nah just nicer - xoom has v. good battery life. Ive ordered one so Im stuck with it now :)

Xoom minus IPS = good battery life ;) but slightly poor in sun, i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭jacool

but slightly poor in sun, i suppose.
    Thank God we live in Ireland then and "unusability" is restricted to about 10 days per annum!

Xoom minus IPS = good battery life ;) but slightly poor in sun, i suppose.

No actually the IPS screen are poor in the sun - they have nicer colours and are just a better screen technology, better by a small bit not a huge bit. Honestly I didnt notice much difference, screen wise, when checking the xoom,transformer and samsung out (samsung seemed a bit more vibrant). Plus, as you said, the xoom has something like 10hours battery life.

PCWorld has a bunch of tabs - xoom included you can mess with and see the difference. There isnt much difference - the hannspad I tried in HN was a bit slow and clunky (might just be the software) and heavier than Iconia which is right beside it - kinda put me off it. Transformer is what I wanted from a few months ago, but voucher doesnt work, so im left with xoom and iconia - which are practically the same. Xoom looks nicer, made the decision.

No actually the IPS screen are poor in the sun - they have nicer colours and are just a better screen technology, better by a small bit not a huge bit. Honestly I didnt notice much difference, screen wise, when checking the xoom,transformer and samsung out (samsung seemed a bit more vibrant). Plus, as you said, the xoom has something like 10hours battery life.

PCWorld has a bunch of tabs - xoom included you can mess with and see the difference. There isnt much difference - the hannspad I tried in HN was a bit slow and clunky (might just be the software) and heavier than Iconia which is right beside it - kinda put me off it. Transformer is what I wanted from a few months ago, but voucher doesnt work, so im left with xoom and iconia - which are practically the same. Xoom looks nicer, made the decision.

Yep, Samsung do produce some sexy screens, Although I have found a blue hue off many of their devices compared to 'truer whites' on other marques.

Transformer is what I wanted from a few months ago, but voucher doesnt work, so im left with xoom and iconia - which are practically the same. Xoom looks nicer, made the decision.

Same! My mind has been made up!

CombatCow wrote: »
    That's a bit drastic, its a very capable tablet, same spec as the galaxy tab 10.1 and the Transformer.

Some thoughts on it from the Android Forum

Oh and its £329 from Amazon.co.uk for those people without FNAC vouchers...
    Alt_M wrote: »
    Hmmm initially it was suppose to be dire but a fair few bugs have been fixed in honeycomb 3.1 & 3.2, might be a good option now that it's been patched up a bit
    Em, that has been proven to be incorrect. Its one of the more capable devices out on the market at the moment with a extremely solid build.

Re read the reviews on it.

Had a chance to play around with it yesterday... it crashes, A LOT.
    It's not exactly bug free and IMO quite overpriced for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Same! My mind has been made up!

I wouldn't be making any decisions until I see the Sony S1, out friday. £399 lanch price on pcworlrd.co.uk. Looks the biz, and has an SD and usb slot.......

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭jefferson73

Got one a few days back, updated it to 3.1 Android straight away.
    Honestly it has not crashed once, default time out was 30 seconds so changed that immediately.
    Using a 16 GB Micro SD card with it for extra storage. Drag and drop makes it dead easy, video playback is excellent.
    Build is very solid, skyped friend at the rugby world cup camera excellent.
    Battery life is good. Really have no complaints, would pull the trigger on it again in a heart beat.
    Suggest anyone intereted, go to pc world and compare it to the other display models, Acer, Samsung, Dell etc. Spend some time with it, mess around with settings, very capable. my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Motorola XOOM is now €399 on FNAC.com

Great offer for those who have the €100 voucher on the way!

Link

A fair few retailers in Europe seem to be dropping the price. At that price it'll cost you the same as a 16Gb model ASUS Transformer

So with the 100 Euro voucher it would come in at 299?? That good value lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

Just got a xoom a few days ago from the Us quiet cheap with the conversion. Im very happy with it so far!! Updated to 3.2 straight away, screen is unreal imo so bright and responsive. All the apps fit screen perfect too. Only problem is I cant get off it!

Had a chance to play around with it yesterday... it crashes, A LOT.
    It's not exactly bug free and IMO quite overpriced for what it is.

Overpriced for what it is...... Erm no.

Secondly if you were playing around with a demo model in any of our fine electrical stores you will be sorely disappointed. no updates are ever applied to these things, and i have yet to find a demo model of any marque in a bricks and mortar that is as responsive as it should be. Too many people messing around with them and they are on near 16 hours a day everyday. Bound to have an impact on them. Best off cleared down and updated.

Overpriced for what it is...... Erm no.

Secondly if you were playing around with a demo model in any of our fine electrical stores you will be sorely disappointed. no updates are ever applied to these things, and i have yet to find a demo model of any marque in a bricks and mortar that is as responsive as it should be. Too many people messing around with them and they are on near 16 hours a day everyday. Bound to have an impact on them. Best off cleared down and updated.
    Not a demo model.

Got one a few days back, updated it to 3.1 Android straight away.
    Honestly it has not crashed once, default time out was 30 seconds so changed that immediately.

So it comes with 30 out of the box but the 3.1 update is waiting? Nice. I'm going to stick in my order at the weekend. With the €100 FNAC voucher its a good price.

Seeing as the US model has 3.2 I'm guessing the European model won't be far behind.
    So with the 100 Euro voucher it would come in at 299?? That good value lads?

I think so. €299 for 32Gb is decent seeing as the other Honeycomb tabs are that price for 16Gb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Can I ask people can anyone get €100 back from FNAC or how do u apply? I'm thinking of getting the motorola xoom and I read u can get €100 euro back from FNAC, how do i do this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Not a demo model.

How about a faulty model. I got mine from the US. It had v3.0. Even then it was reliable for me. 3.1 made it snappier. 3.2 hasn't changed anything on it to make the usability any different.

So if the one you were trying was crashing all the time it may have been faulty or had some crap installed that was causing instability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I have had a 16Gb one for quite a while. I love it. I have had one or two crashes in the six months that I have had it. A quick reset did the job.

My wife and daughter love it. So much so I never get a chance to use it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Not a demo model.

I have one.

It does not crash very often at all and the online reviews are generally very good. I tend open a lot of tabs and applications on it and after a while (lets say a week) of uptime it can slow down a bit, which isn't "supposed" to happen. I like the device a lot though.

I will say that Android isn't as snappy as iOS. Whether the increased functionality of Android makes up for that is up to you. I'm torn myself, ideally I'd like iOS for everyday browsing and Android for everything else. To me even the first iPad feels smoother in hand, regardless of its lower specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

leemaree wrote: »
    Can I ask people can anyone get €100 back from FNAC or how do u apply? I'm thinking of getting the motorola xoom and I read u can get €100 euro back from FNAC, how do i do this?

It's not an open cash back offer, basically they gave 100eur voucher to people who ordered a hp touchpad which fnac subsequently cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

How can I order in English when the website is in french

Advertisement