Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a car and insurance

Options
  • 06-09-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Im going to buy a car later on, and have one question ab. the insurance.

If i buy the car from private seller, and he has insurance etc, can i legally drive it to my home, and take the insurance at home via internet etc, or do i need to have the insurance at the excact moment when im starting driving the car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

finnteme wrote: »
    do i need to have the insurance at the excact moment when im starting driving the car?

Yes. Once the deal is done and you own the car, the other person's insurance won't cover you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Your best bet is to ring around for insurance BEFORE buying the car, that way you can call them right before you go up to buy the car, and they can put you on cover from then.

If you are undecided on which car, save all the reference codes you will get on the calls to the insurance company. When you call back, all they need to do then is switch the make/model of the vehicle and give you your new premium. So you won't be going back-and-forth for hours on end, and starting from scratch if you change your mind on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

yeah, i did just that..
    took a quote, and retrieved it when i was sure im going to buy the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 PARANA

When I bought the car last year the garadge insuarance expired the moment my car was outside my house. On the same day I got insuarance disk from AARAN INSUARANCES in Harolds Cross. Tried 5 different companies, but this one was so much cheaper. Here is their phone number if anyone wants to check them out: 01 478 2020, info@aaran.ie

Advertisement