Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septum Piercing & Tonsillectomy

Options
  • 06-09-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hey everyone,
    I currently have a septum piercing and have been booked in for a tonsillectomy on the 27th of this month... Now I was talking to the admissions office in the hospital I'll be in, and while they said there should be know problem, they said to bring a retainer if I have one.
    The only problem is, if they wanted to do anything with my nose while the retainer I have was in, the shaft (dunno what else to call it?) of it would be nearly touching the side of my nostril on one side. As well as that, it's titanium, I was reading somewhere that plastic would be more suitable.
    Has anybody experienced a tonsillectomy with a septum piercing? Or if possible, would anybody know where to get a short plastic retainer, preferably in Dublin?
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Yeah, it's not recommended to keep metal jewelry in while in hospital.. No idea why, maybe it can interfere with things.

But if you go into any piercing place, they should be able to replace it with a plastic retainer, or even a plastic bar no problem. Maybe call up a good few days before your surgery and then arrange to go in soon before it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Think metal interfere's with xrays and mri machines will just rip it out.
    retainer should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

seanybiker wrote: »
    Think metal interfere's with xrays and mri machines will just rip it out.
    retainer should be grand

MRI machines have no problem with Titanium, as it's non-magnetic. You'd wanna be sure it's titanium and not surgical steel though!

Advertisement