Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan Road - Speed now 60kph + Speed camera

Options
  • 06-09-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Turned from Aurburn Ave onto Navan Raod (heading towards Dublin) & spotted a 60kph sign which applies from the turn until just past the garage.

Not sure how long it is there, but it's the first time I've noticed it.

Then, tucked in just before the road diverts back to 80kph was a speed van....they were there yesterday & today (saw them about a half hour ago).

There are 4 lanes along that first 60kph stretch, so I don't think it is needed. I reckon it will be like shooting fish in a barrel until people realise it has changed. Does anyone know how long it has been changed?

I reckon I should be OK, but just a heads up for anyone else travelling along there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That section has been a 60 for a long time (if not from the start) due to the petrol station. Only realised a few weeks ago when I was doing 80 and a large green Landrover pulled out of the garage straight in front of me and I missed them by centimetres. Not good for the heart.

Was looking for skid marks etc the next day when I was driving there again and saw the speed limit. After what had happened to me the day before it made sense and I've always stuck to 60 or less since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

For once I agree with the 60 speed limit there. They have a poorly thought out pedestrian crossing and it's easy to miss the lights if you're booting it along and not expecting them.

I dislike how they hide the speed vans though. It's ment to be open and transparent. Hiding it makes out that it's a money making exercise.

Those speed limit signs are only there in recent weeks. For a time they were missing both 60 and 80 signs (unless you were coming down the slip from the train station).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

You'd be lucky to hot 60kmph on that stretch in the morning.
    Ever since they redesigned the N3/M50 interchange, it's a crawl from the Auburn Avenue lights down to the Ashtown roundabout every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

athtrasna wrote: »
    That section has been a 60 for a long time (if not from the start) due to the petrol station.

Been driving that road for years & never seen 60kph sign - I know alot changed on the speed limits on the stretch from the Blanch Centre to the Little Chef, but I pretty sure it was 80kph after that. Lots of garages on the side of roads where the limit is 80kph - the person pulling out needs to move out when it is safe.
    Random wrote: »
    For once I agree with the 60 speed limit there. They have a poorly thought out pedestrian crossing and it's easy to miss the lights if you're booting it along and not expecting them.

I dislike how they hide the speed vans though. It's ment to be open and transparent. Hiding it makes out that it's a money making exercise.

Actually, I recall they were on & I agree (I was away most of the summer so only started to use that stretch again & the ped crossing is now activated - that makes sense......but I reckon they should have some (even if they are temporary) sign to indicate "New Ped Crossing - reduce speed to 60kpm"
    Same with the speed vans - tucked up in the long grass & right b eside the new 80kpm sign (that is definately new!!). They are ment to encourage people to slow down & not just be a money making exercise. I should be fine as I saw the new sign but the 10 or so cars which went past me (at about 80kph) will probably get a shock in a few weeks...so watch out!!
    Heroditas wrote: »

Ever since they redesigned the N3/M50 interchange, it's a crawl from the Auburn Avenue lights down to the Ashtown roundabout every morning.

They weren't there until the afternoon when the traffic could flow!! Reinforces my point about fish in the barrel.

I'm not a speeder & I have only had 1 fine in my life when they changed a stretch of road (actually just around the courner from here) from 80 to 50 overnight with the most tiny signs posted right as you turn & very difficult to spot....they had a cop with a speed gun there for the full first week. The postman said he had delivered HUNDREDS of fines for that very stretch. Luckily it was just before the points system!!

Heroditas wrote: »

There was always a queue on that section? I moved out here 7 years ago and there has always been major traffic queues there. Not helped by people sliproad surfing the ramps to the train station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I presume these are Garda camera vans as opposed to the GoSafe ones as that stretch of road isn't on the GoSafe map.

Yes, it was a Garda one.

Seems to be a push on garda speed checks lately. Have seen them on auburn ave twice in past month (and only once in previous 7 years!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

if your on the blanch bypass heading for the city and pass by total fitness on your left, and head up the two lane ramp where the old roundabout over the m50 used to be; it states 30mph. now who on earth is going to drop from 80 to 30 as when you get over that ramp it goes back to 60 and then to 80.

anyone that drops to 30 will be abused by other motorists.....it's madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

60? Whats the limit on the other side coming from ashtown out of dublin?

I generally don't head into town that way, but I always thought that was all 80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

if your on the blanch bypass heading for the city and pass by total fitness on your left, and head up the two lane ramp where the old roundabout over the m50 used to be; it states 30mph. now who on earth is going to drop from 80 to 30 as when you get over that ramp it goes back to 60 and then to 80.

anyone that drops to 30 will be abused by other motorists.....it's madness.

It's 30 kph which is really slow.

BostonB wrote: »
    60? Whats the limit on the other side coming from ashtown out of dublin?

I generally don't head into town that way, but I always thought that was all 80.

80 as far as the garage, then 60 as far as the old blanch village junction then up to 80 again. It's still at 80 when I come off at the 2nd slip road for blanch centre but I presume it goes up to 100 at some stage before the motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jjppgg

Wish I had read this before....
    I head off from racecourse apartments every morning towards Blanchardstown...have seen them lots of time on the past month with the speed camara but I thought the limit was 80 as there is a sign with this...but...
    today I got a letter with a nice fine for driving at 73kmph last thursday... pointless to try to complain... so guys be careful....better to do not go over 60 in all this part of Navan Road.

Good Luck!

80 as far as the garage, then 60 as far as the old blanch village junction then up to 80 again. It's still at 80 when I come off at the 2nd slip road for blanch centre but I presume it goes up to 100 at some stage before the motorway

I meant the other direction.

jjppgg wrote: »
    Wish I had read this before....
    I head off from racecourse apartments every morning towards Blanchardstown...have seen them lots of time on the past month with the speed camara but I thought the limit was 80 as there is a sign with this...but...
    today I got a letter with a nice fine for driving at 73kmph last thursday... pointless to try to complain... so guys be careful....better to do not go over 60 in all this part of Navan Road.

Good Luck!

Bad luck. Whats the fine?

Driving toward town:
    60 just before Auburn lights, 80 just before train station slip, 60 just before Halfway House roundabout.

Driving foward Navan:
    80 at start of dual carrigeway, 60 just after the train station down ramp, 80 just after Blanch hospital turn.

(from memory anyway)

Ok thanks. Its all a bit daft tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Probably best to keep it at 60 all the way to save yourself getting caught out?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I fear i got done 2x in the last 2 weeks on that stretch of the road. Saw them a 3rd time though.

1st early in the morning, 7 o'clock direction Navan.
    Camera van was located just after the Esso, basically pointing the camera at the the 60 km/h sign that is there. I was slowing down from 80 to 60 but setting the camera exactly at the point where the sign is, is ridiculous.

The 2nd time was in the afternoon going direction City centre.
    Van positioned also just after the fuel station, after the traffic lights, just before the sign 80.
    This is after coming of the M50 where they should have been checking on people doing 80 in the middle lane or even on the outer overtaking lane.

In 21 years of driving i have collected 3 tickets, 2 for speeding on the motorway, less than 15 km too fast, one for parking.

So now the possibility to have collected 2 more, certainly the way they might have caught me out, is pretty hard to accept.

Those 2 speed traps had nothing to do with safety, all to do with collecting money.

It is a ridiculous piece of road where over the stretch of maybe 1500 meters the max speed changes 3 times.

Completely daft. A dual carriage way with no housing on it. Has a lower speed limit that much smaller country lanes with houses directly on it. Then it change up and down along its length.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jjppgg

Bad luck. Whats the fine?

It is 80€ and 2 penalty points if paid in 28 days, 120€ and 4 penalty points otherwise...:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Completely daft. A dual carriage way with no housing on it. Has a lower speed limit that much smaller country lanes with houses directly on it. Then it change up and down along its length.

There is the entrance to Phoenix Park apartments, and the halting site near the Esso, maybe they're part of the reason for the speeds set.
    You also have the issue of lanes of traffic merging around the bridge, and into/out from the garages to complicate things, so maybe they contribute to the 60kph speed.
    I think 80 is more suitable myself, but having it set at one speed for the entire length would be preferable then this up/down business, even it is 60kph.
    A lot more signs would help too. This city is terrible for speed signs.

Still no direct residential property directly on to it. This is 2 lanes with a layby lane, so theres plenty of time and space to get up to speed.

The main issue is as you say theres zero consistency about these limits.

Gaspode wrote: »
    There is the entrance to Phoenix Park apartments, .

The limit is 80 here though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Gardai out with their hair dryers this morning (9am or so) down at the bridge (inbound) where it goes from 2 lanes into 1. It's 80kmph here and I doubt many are exceeding that there so I don't know how many they were catching.

Having said that, there was one lad pulled over.

Advertisement