Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA question

• 06-09-2011 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I am looking to start MMA. Is there a definition of what MMA is or is it any mix of any martial arts?

I live in Ballymoney so could go to Ballymena or Coleraine if needs be

I was on mma Ireland and there's one listed for Coleraine saying their style is "boxing" and for Ballymoney their style is "ju-jitsu"

what does this mean?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Alopex wrote: »
    I am looking to start MMA. Is there a definition of what MMA is or is it any mix of any martial arts?

I was on mma Ireland and there's one listed for Coleraine saying their style is "boxing" and for Ballymoney their style is "ju-jitsu"

what does this mean?

thanks

There is no hard and fast definition of what constitutes "MMA", but I think most people would agree that any mix of stand up striking, ground fighting and wrestling would fit the bill. Some styles in each range have proven to more effective in competition than others though.

If a club says their style is Boxing it most likely means that it is a boxing gym that has started to encorporate grappling. Jiu jitsu is probably traditional jj rather then bjj.

My personal opinion(based on a guess) is go for the boxing gym rather than trad jj, the reason being that boxing gyms nearly always encorporate live sparring into their training, where as many trad jj clubs don't. Live sparring is the most important part of training any combat sport for competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

As Plastikman_eire says, its a hybrid of different martial arts. From my experience it depends on the club as to what the mix is but a lot of places favour Muai Thai & BJJ as it covers both stand up and grappling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I've never heard of a boxing gym turning to Mma, ever! Lots of kickboxing gyms have and Thai boxing but not boxing, not in Ireland anyway, either it's a boxing gym or an Mma gym with boxing been it's main strength, usually meaning the coach was a boxer

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

http://www.mmaireland.org/club-info.php?id=233

this it here if thats any help. Do normal boxing clubs advertise on mma ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

Places that may be of use to you would be Causeway Giants http://www.britishwrestling.org/clubs.asp?section=29&sectionTitle=Find&itemid=183 or Ashcroft Vale Tudo which I can't find an address for

• Advertisement

manga_10 wrote: »
    Places that may be of use to you would be Causeway Giants http://www.britishwrestling.org/clubs.asp?section=29&sectionTitle=Find&itemid=183 or Ashcroft Vale Tudo which I can't find an address for

cheers man.

MMA in an orange order hall. sounds like fun lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

cheers man.

ur reflexes and reaction time will be quicker :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

cheers man.

Buy a tri colour gum shild before you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 squigs55

Imma gym in Ballymena. Anybody welcome to the club. Top coach in Rod Moore. You can train just to learn skills, fitness or to work towards competing.

They have a facebook page that details times and this web page:

http://www.imma-ni.com/index.html (this is an old site tho so ring Rod first or check out facebook for up to date info)

This is a real high standard mma club - would def recommend checking it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

what does this mean?

thanks
    I see your from Ballymoney, home of the greatest motorbike road racer in history, Joey Dunlop, but anyway. No offence, but have you done a Martial Art or boxing or whatever before ? Not trying to be condesending, but to jump straight into MMA if you don't have some MA experience or a good fitness level, is let's say in swimming terms, might be jumping in at the deep end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

HellsAngel wrote: »
    No offence, but have you done a Martial Art or boxing or whatever before ? Not trying to be condesending, but to jump straight into MMA if you don't have some MA experience or a good fitness level, is let's say in swimming terms, might be jumping in at the deep end.
    Not really. Most mma clubs and coaches all have experience taking complete beginners and many even have a specific class for beginners.

HellsAngel wrote: »
    I see your from Ballymoney, home of the greatest motorbike road racer in history, Joey Dunlop, but anyway. No offence, but have you done a Martial Art or boxing or whatever before ? Not trying to be condesending, but to jump straight into MMA if you don't have some MA experience or a good fitness level, is let's say in swimming terms, might be jumping in at the deep end.

Fitness decent enough. Can bench 60kg for 5 reps and squat 100kg for 8-10(5'7 male)

no real martial arts experience. Did kenpo a few years ago in Dublin but dropped out before any belts cos i was only around for the summer. was only really going cause mates did it but am up for taking it more seriously now.

by the way I wasn't being smart. I appreciated you posting a link to the place. Just thought it funny it was in an orange lodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

by the way I wasn't being smart. I appreciated you posting a link to the place. Just thought it funny it was in an orange lodge

Ashcroft in ballymoney
    IMMA in ballymena
    Evolve in Limavady

These are all the respectable clubs in that area that I am aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lighting1

Rodney moores gym IMMA in balleymena is great all round gym for beginners or experienced fighters, check out there Facebook page for details :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Lighting1 wrote: »
    Rodney moores gym IMMA in balleymena is great all round gym for beginners or experienced fighters, check out there Facebook page for details :)

Now "Next Generation NI" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lighting1

thanks for the update john ;)

Advertisement