Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermoid Ovarian Cyst, Going to cause problems?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

This is the only forum I think this is appropriate for:
    I was just wondering if anyone here has suffered with Dermoid Cyst on their Ovary?? I have one on my right ovary, its only small but has to be removed. I did have keyhole surgery last year but that was just for a look. I was told that my ovary might also have to be removed and I am just wondering has anybody experienced this and is it going to be a big problem for me trying to conceive down the line? All opinions, experiences and help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 purejuice

Hi I had a small Dermoid cyst removed last year, I was also told there could be a chance of losing an ovary but I came away with two perfect ovarys. I went on 2 have 2 pregnancys, both ended in miscarriage :((nothing to do with the cyst being removed) but it goes to show that after having that done there's nothing to stop you having children afterwards. It is painful after the surgery but I was up and about about 4 weeks after the surgery and the scar healed great. Best of luck with it and dont worry as all will go fine :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Aw thanks for that, Ye I am prepared for the pain alright.:( Hopefully they will be able to hold on to both my ovaries too. Thanks for reply and best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nedzer99

Hi, I'm not trying to conceive, but, I'm 32 with no kids and have just been diagnosed with a 15cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary. I've had MRI and they've told me that it's benign so, that's one worry over. I'm waiting on the hospital to organise meeting with Gyne & Surgery, but they seem to be reluctant to answer the question 'will i loose my ovary'. Should I be worried or, am I ok to just wait patiently for them to get back to me with an appointment?

I was diagnosed with it about a year ago,I've been in and out for lots of different app's. To be honest, I don't think they know if they will have to remove ovary until you are in surgery . It depends how attached it is etc. but you will have to sign a consent form before surgery giving them permission to remove it if necessary. My doctor told me though that having one ovary does not mean you only have 50/50 chance of getting pregnant, you still have 70% chance as your one ovary nearly works harder!this put me at ease a bit.As I am in my mid 20's it took me a while to decide whether or not to go for the surgery as I will soon hopefully be thinking about children. But I figure I was just delaying the inevitable! try not to worry until you have your app's. I had myself in an awful state about it but its just not worth it!

Gee_G wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with it about a year ago,I've been in and out for lots of different app's. To be honest, I don't think they know if they will have to remove ovary until you are in surgery . It depends how attached it is etc. but you will have to sign a consent form before surgery giving them permission to remove it if necessary. My doctor told me though that having one ovary does not mean you only have 50/50 chance of getting pregnant, you still have 70% chance as your one ovary nearly works harder!this put me at ease a bit.As I am in my mid 20's it took me a while to decide whether or not to go for the surgery as I will soon hopefully be thinking about children. But I figure I was just delaying the inevitable! try not to worry until you have your app's. I had myself in an awful state about it but its just not worth it!

thanks GEE G

• Advertisement

Just got date for my op..coming up v soon! Here goes!!

GREAT!! Best of luck with it. Let me know how you get on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shinnyjosiedan

Going in for MRI scan tomorrow to get confirmation of dermoid cyst. Will be meeting gynae on 5th of oct to discuss results. if it is a dermoid cyst, will have to have surgery. How long is the recovery time after surgery?? My husband and I will be using IUI to conceive (hopefully) as DH has sperm issues. Would be grateful for any feedback. :)

I had Laparoscopy(keyhole) last year and it took me only a few weeks to get over that but that was only for the Docs to have a look around. I am having open surgery in a few weeks and I was told I will be in hospital this time for 4/5 days and as far as I know, recovery time is 4-6 weeks. Are you in much pain with it shinnyjosiedan??

thanks Gee_G for getting back to me. Have no pain at all...but would get cramps when AF arrives. It only showed up when went for HSG xray to see if tubes were ok...so came as quiet a shock. Gynae says if its dermoid will need open surgery too. Have you much pain with yours??

• Advertisement

Yeah quite a lot, in my side and bottom of my back too. Not constant pain but it does like to remind me its there!!Its been hanging over me for over a year now and just want it gone. Try not to stress too much about it until your app with Gynae, as if it is not Dermoid they probably won't remove it and you might only have to have keyhole. Let me know how you get on and Best of Luck!x

Thanks Gee_G. Best of luck to you too! and keep me posted:)

Appointment with Gyne today!! Am so nervous, I don't know why!! Have my list of questions printed out and ready to ask. Just want this damn thing out at this stage, I look like I'm 3 / 4 months pregnant and I think it's getting bigger. Still no major pain, just really uncomfortable, and, I miss my skinny jeans! :)

Aw don't be nervous, Best of luck! Let me know how it goes!x

Didn't go great to be honest. Why do gynes have to be male and so flippant. Was basically told that I'll loose one ovary and strong possibility that I'll loose the other one aswell. Had prepared myself for loss of one, but, not two! And he said it like, well, you know, your tough luck you've left it so late to be deciding to have kids. ... .. was so mad leaving the appointment!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Nedzer99 wrote: »
    Didn't go great to be honest. Why do gynes have to be male and so flippant. Was basically told that I'll loose one ovary and strong possibility that I'll loose the other one aswell. Had prepared myself for loss of one, but, not two! And he said it like, well, you know, your tough luck you've left it so late to be deciding to have kids. ... .. was so mad leaving the appointment!

:eek: What a dick. I'd have asked him if he would be so flippant about lopping off his own gonads at the "old" age of 32!
    ... and then I would be reporting him to whoever I could. Dick! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Neyite wrote: »
    :eek: What a dick. I'd have asked him if he would be so flippant about lopping off his own gonads at the "old" age of 32!

+1

It makes me so angry to hear things like this. Would a bit of sensitivity kill these people??

op on tuesday! !!

Neyite wrote: »

i think it's hillarious, he has seven kids himself and I wonder would he be happy if someone was the same way with one of his daughters.. the only reason I haven't asked to go to someone else is he's supposed to be the best gyne & surgeon down here!

So ur op is next Tuesday??What an ass...Jesus christ, things are hard enough for ya without listening to someone like that. That makes me mad too! So is there cysts on both?? I presume so when he said that, What about goin to somewhere like the 'HARI' Unit and seeing about freezing some eggs??Hope your ok x

• Advertisement

So ur op is next Tuesday??What an ass...Jesus christ, things are hard enough for ya without listening to someone like that. That makes me mad too! So is there cysts on both?? I presume so when he said that, What about goin to somewhere like the 'HARI' Unit and seeing about freezing some eggs??Hope your ok x

it's quite a large cyst and is kind of taking over my abdomen, about 15 - 18 cm's and going from right to left. I honestly think both ovaries is worst case secnario, he just doesn't know what damage is done until he goes inside. I've enquired about freezing eggs and in my current 'state' it's not possible, there's also a family history of Ovarian Cancer so stimulation of ovaries / eggs is not medically advised! At least it'll be all over and done with this time next week!

Yeah exactly, at least then you will know where you stand either way! Thats how I'm looking at my op now..Just get it over and done with!! Well I am in the week after you so we can moan to each other about the recover process :D Best of luck with it all, Hope it goes well!;)

Yeah exactly, at least then you will know where you stand either way! Thats how I'm looking at my op now..Just get it over and done with!! Well I am in the week after you so we can moan to each other about the recover process :D Best of luck with it all, Hope it goes well!;)

thanks a mill!! will let you know how I get on before you head in!! Can't wait to get rid of it. i won't know myself, no feeling of constant uncomfortableness!!

`Had op last Tuesday and am doing great. left ovary fully intact right ovary.. damaged 'bit' taken off - never been so delighted in my life. Am very sore but, have no problem putting up with it considering what i could have been faced with. As far as i know op was pretty quick, an hour was all, cyst was 18 x 12 cms, sent off for biopsy but, have been told already that it's benign so I'm not worrying about that. have a pretty sizeable scar.. 10 cms and 20 not so pretty staples which are coming out on Friday (hopefully) . Not enjoying being a patient too much, hate depending on people to do stuff for me and HATE not being able to get up and go / do whatever I want.. Hopefully, that's the end of it all!! :)

Aw I am delighted it all went well for you and your still all intact :D
    I am in tomorrow, just can't wait to get it over and done with!! Did you have to stay in for long? I'm dying to get home already :) Really am delighted for u!

Glad op went well. I'm in on the 13th December to get mine out.. Were you in hospital for long??? Really hate the thought of being in hospital! Hope you're not getting too crazy being a patient ;)

Had mine Last week...Thankfully all is still intact, they didn't need to touch my ovary!!I had a laparotomy(open surgery,sorry if spelling is wrong!) Was kept in for 4 nights but to be honest I didnt mind as I didnt think I was fit to be at home, twas good havin their pain relief on hand too ha ha!! First few days are sore, quite awkward to move around, sleep etc but I found once you get used to that and take it slow its ok! as for being a patient, not getting to me as yet. There's lots of minders around during the day with me, so will see in another few days!!!Nedzer99 : Hope your doing well and recovering quick and Shinnyjosiedan: Best of luck with yours, it will be fine and keep me posted on how it goes! Good luck!x

Glad to hear you're keeping well.. All's great with me apart from infection in scar (had 20 staples so it's at the bottom ten - antibiotics are sorting that) was the same as you awkward and like a turtle on it's back trying to get out of bed or off the sofa but was strange just all of a sudden was so much more able to get around - am delighted with everything - infection i can get over like yourself at least we're fully intact (Internally)!! :)

Nedzer99 How's recovery going?? I am nearly back to normal now but like you, I got infection which slowed things down a bit but getting there!! Still sore and that but that I can live with!
    You back to normal yet??x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi girls, I am due to have a laproscopy next friday to remove a dermoid cyst from each ovary. The largest one is 6cm. I've had an MRI and both are benign. I've been told that 3 small incisions will be made a drain will be left in overnight to drain the fluid. I'll go home the next day. I was told that recovery can take up to two weeks...is that correct?

Were you told anything about ovulation returning to normal afterwards? My doctor mentioned that it might not return that quickly?

Also, are both of you girls trying to concieve at the moment? We are, although doc mentioned that dermoid cysts have no effect on fertility so there could be other problems :(

Advertisement