Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermoid Ovarian Cyst, Going to cause problems?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nedzer99

Gee_G wrote: »
    Nedzer99 How's recovery going?? I am nearly back to normal now but like you, I got infection which slowed things down a bit but getting there!! Still sore and that but that I can live with!
    You back to normal yet??x

Hey how are you?
    I'm good, back in work since november 1st (4 weeks after op) couldn't cope with doing nothing. Infection is all cleared up thank god but scar is still really sensitive. I'm not sore as such but very tender! went for my first proper walk the other night and was wrecked after it, what would normally have taken me 35 - 40 minutes took 50 minutes, but, surgeon said it could take months to get back to normal, that we tend to forget it's not just the scar on the outside that has to heal, there was a lot of moving stuff around in there and then there's the internal scar too!! it's so strange, think you're fine and then - whack - somethign like run up the stairs completely takes it out of you.
    What I'm finding hard (and I'm putting it down to the anesthetic) is work, not 'cause I'm being physically challenged, 'cause I work on a computer all day, but the actual concentrating and multi tasking or noise levels. I'm getting frustrated with myself because I can't concentrate .. I'm supposing is because i was sitting on my backside for 4 weeks and not using my brain, but, multi tasking... NO NO NO - i get so tetchy!!
    that's all a bit messy but, i'm sure you get what I'm trying to say. other than all that I'm grand, I don't expect to be 100% for a while yet, but, I'm getting there.
    Is your scar up/down or across? think up down ones cause more hassle - if still haven't healed up properly there's a sewweed pack that doc's can put on it, helps the healing process!.
    you doing good otherwise?
    xx

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hi girls, I am due to have a laproscopy next friday to remove a dermoid cyst from each ovary. The largest one is 6cm. I've had an MRI and both are benign. I've been told that 3 small incisions will be made a drain will be left in overnight to drain the fluid. I'll go home the next day. I was told that recovery can take up to two weeks...is that correct?

Were you told anything about ovulation returning to normal afterwards? My doctor mentioned that it might not return that quickly?

Also, are both of you girls trying to concieve at the moment? We are, although doc mentioned that dermoid cysts have no effect on fertility so there could be other problems :(

Hi Yellow Hen,
    mine was different in that it was a very large cyst on one ovary
    so it was open surgery so advised recovery time was 6 - 8 weeks. I don't about ovulation with regards yourself, i got a period a week after I had the op (day i was due) and have since had another.. regualr as clockwork! and, I had part of one ovary removed.
    with trying to concieve, I'm hoping to get onto that in the near future, need to recover a bit, but to be honest, it takes some people one maybe two years to concieve and there's nothing wrong them. if you have been having problems maybe talk to your GYNE. you can do ovulation tests and all that kind of stuff. I know some people who were finding it hard to concieve and tried reflexology - and whether it's just coincidence, i don't know, but, they became pregnant fairly soon after starting a course of reflexology!

I don't know if this helps you at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Nedzer99 wrote: »
    Hey how are you?
    I'm good, back in work since november 1st (4 weeks after op) couldn't cope with doing nothing. Infection is all cleared up thank god but scar is still really sensitive. I'm not sore as such but very tender! went for my first proper walk the other night and was wrecked after it, what would normally have taken me 35 - 40 minutes took 50 minutes, but, surgeon said it could take months to get back to normal, that we tend to forget it's not just the scar on the outside that has to heal, there was a lot of moving stuff around in there and then there's the internal scar too!! it's so strange, think you're fine and then - whack - somethign like run up the stairs completely takes it out of you.
    What I'm finding hard (and I'm putting it down to the anesthetic) is work, not 'cause I'm being physically challenged, 'cause I work on a computer all day, but the actual concentrating and multi tasking or noise levels. I'm getting frustrated with myself because I can't concentrate .. I'm supposing is because i was sitting on my backside for 4 weeks and not using my brain, but, multi tasking... NO NO NO - i get so tetchy!!
    that's all a bit messy but, i'm sure you get what I'm trying to say. other than all that I'm grand, I don't expect to be 100% for a while yet, but, I'm getting there.
    Is your scar up/down or across? think up down ones cause more hassle - if still haven't healed up properly there's a sewweed pack that doc's can put on it, helps the healing process!.
    you doing good otherwise?
    xx

Yeah I'm doing okay, eager to get back to normal but ok! Totally understand what your talking about not using your brain, I don't even know what day of the week it is most of the time!! My scar is across, just at the top of my bikini line, what about yours? Its healing good, just very sore on the inside...still!! AH I'll get there eventually!x

Hi girls, I am due to have a laproscopy next friday to remove a dermoid cyst from each ovary. The largest one is 6cm. I've had an MRI and both are benign. I've been told that 3 small incisions will be made a drain will be left in overnight to drain the fluid. I'll go home the next day. I was told that recovery can take up to two weeks...is that correct?

Were you told anything about ovulation returning to normal afterwards? My doctor mentioned that it might not return that quickly?

Also, are both of you girls trying to concieve at the moment? We are, although doc mentioned that dermoid cysts have no effect on fertility so there could be other problems :(

Hi Yellow Hen,
    As you have probably seen in my previous posts I had a Laparoscopy Last year to remove a Cyst off my right ovary, although they did not remove it then and had to have open surgery a few weeks ago. Yeah, you should be back up and running after two weeks. I got an infection with mine and I was over a month recovering but hopefully you'll fly it ;)
    For the Laparoscopy I was on the pill so obviously don't know about ovulating but for the Laparotomy a few weeks back, I got my period the day after (they said that could've been that they stimulated my ovary..funny!!) but have since had a second one and am off the pill so things must be working ok!
    Don't worry about the Laparoscopy, it will be fine and hopefully that will be the end of it for you! Keep us posted and best of luck!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi two dermoids removed last Friday. Also had some endemetriona cysts burned off too. U have say i wasn't quite prepared for the pain that followed. I'm still a bit sore today. The good news is that they took a swab of the walls of my uterus abd also ran dye down my tubes and all looked normal so hopefully thus will be a turning point for us. Im not going to watch my cycle for the month of December at all. I might just let cervical mucus guide me a bit and leave the rest to chance. Thanks for advice beforehand girls.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm doing okay, eager to get back to normal but ok! Totally understand what your talking about not using your brain, I don't even know what day of the week it is most of the time!! My scar is across, just at the top of my bikini line, what about yours? Its healing good, just very sore on the inside...still!! AH I'll get there eventually!x

hey... mine is up down, belly button to top of pubic bone.. pretty unsightly, but, in all fairness, with our weather, there's very little chance of me having to wear a bikini!! :)

Hi two mermaids removed last Friday. Also had some endemetriona cysts burned off too. U have say i wasn't quite prepared for the pain that followed. I'm still a bit sore today. The good news is that they took a swab of the walls of my uterus abd also ran dye down my tubes and all looked normal so hopefully thus will be a turning point for us. Im not going to watch my cycle for the month of December at all. I might just let cervical mucus guide me a bit and leave the rest to chance. Thanks for advice beforehand girls.

Hi Yellow hen,
    You'll be surpised with the pain, nearly all of a sudden the stiffness & pain goes. Glad all went well for you!!
    :)

Hi Yellow hen,
    You'll be surpised with the pain, nearly all of a sudden the stiffness & pain goes. Glad all went well for you!!
    :)

You were right, the pain did just disappear one day. The soreness did last for about 10days though which was sorer than i expected.

Can i just ask when you got your period before the surgery and when you got it after? My period arrived the morning of surgery but they obviously sucked the blood out or something during surgery as it was gone when i woke up from anaesthetic. Im now on day25 and I havent really had any cerival mucus so not sure when to expect AF. What happened you guys?

I had mine 3 weeks before surgery, then the day after surgery and then didn't get it for I think 4/5 weeks!They do say it can take a while to get back to normal!

It was me who started this thread wondering was it going to cause me trouble in future plans to conceive.....Well the answer is no!!!! Found out a few days ago that I am pregnant, we were not trying so big big surprise but a good one! Best of luck to everyone in the future plans Xxxx

• Advertisement

OMG congrats!!! That is such good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shinnyjosiedan

Congrats Gee-G

Had dermoid removed on wed via laparotomy. Home since this afternoon. journey home was painful..not in too much pain other than that. can i ask how long was it before ye were up and about as normal? I've a cert for work for 6 wks. think i'll crack up by then. What about exercise? Is there any way to prevent scar tissue forming? Hope everyone is well

You were right, the pain did just disappear one day. The soreness did last for about 10days though which was sorer than i expected.

Can i just ask when you got your period before the surgery and when you got it after? My period arrived the morning of surgery but they obviously sucked the blood out or something during surgery as it was gone when i woke up from anaesthetic. Im now on day25 and I havent really had any cerival mucus so not sure when to expect AF. What happened you guys?

I was on the pill when i went in for my surgery, was told to continue as normal and got my period, as expected 5 days after surgery. Came off the pill after that and still have a 28 day cycle!!

It was me who started this thread wondering was it going to cause me trouble in future plans to conceive.....Well the answer is no!!!! Found out a few days ago that I am pregnant, we were not trying so big big surprise but a good one! Best of luck to everyone in the future plans Xxxx

WOW that's great!! Congratulations. keep us posted, although, you'll probably move to a new thread now, what to expect when expecting!!

Congrats Gee-G

Had dermoid removed on wed via laparotomy. Home since this afternoon. journey home was painful..not in too much pain other than that. can i ask how long was it before ye were up and about as normal? I've a cert for work for 6 wks. think i'll crack up by then. What about exercise? Is there any way to prevent scar tissue forming? Hope everyone is well

don't think so to be honest, scar is gonna happen, but, try if all possible to not get it infected.. go buy yourself a nice big pair of granny nickers so there'll be no rubbing on the wound 'cause it'll only get irritated. secondly, with regards being up and about, try not to stay in the one position for too long, go for a small walk up the street or something, do little a few times a day, surprisingly you'll heal up quicker, you need to work the muslce. I was told I'd be out for 6 to 8 weeks, but, after four I was going DEMENTED, couldn't really do anything like wash floors or hoover or lift heavy things so, i was just sitting on my ass so, decided to go back to work and sit on my ass there, am only working at a computer so it wasn't physically taxing. i will say that I was nackered, totally wiped out after the day and did find that I wasn't able to cope with noise levels and conversations that included more that 2 people, sitting on your own for four weeks does alot to you!! you'll get back to proper working order before you know it.. as i said, do little a few times a day and you'll be very surprised.. :)
    Hope you're feeling better soon!

A laporoscopy is a pretty standard procedure but depending on what they are actually fling in there the recovery time varies. I only had two weeks recovery after the removal of two cysts (biggest was 6cm). Nedzer obviously had more work done and her recovery was longer. Without doubt you will be sore and uncomfortable for up to a week after so you really do have to take it easy. After that I was just generally tired. My stitches left obvious marks but they are so low down i don't mind at all. Try bio oil to help wighe scarring. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hi guys
    I just had an ultrasound done today and it was discovered that I had what they think is a dermatoid cyst around my left ovary They reckon its twice the size of the ovary itself so do you guys reckon thats a biggie?! I've had PCOS for years and since having my son 2 years ago have been getting pains in left hand side of my stomach was actually worse when I was pregnant I wonder was it this cyst. Have to go for an MRI and that too.

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I just had an ultrasound done today and it was discovered that I had what they think is a dermatoid cyst around my left ovary They reckon its twice the size of the ovary itself so do you guys reckon thats a biggie?! I've had PCOS for years and since having my son 2 years ago have been getting pains in left hand side of my stomach was actually worse when I was pregnant I wonder was it this cyst. Have to go for an MRI and that too.

Hi ziggy, i had two mermaids removed. Biggest was 6cm. A normal ovary is 3-5cm in diameter do the the largest dermoid could at a push have been double the size of my ovary. I had an MRI to confirm they were dermoids and then had a laparoscopy, it was no big deal despite NY worries at the time. I'm now in the middle of my 2nd cycle since surgery and have no pain whatsoever. :)

My gynae told me cysts like this were common and always benign so nothing to worry about :)

Hi ziggy, i had two mermaids removed. Biggest was 6cm. A normal ovary is 3-5cm in diameter do the the largest dermoid could at a push have been double the size of my ovary. I had an MRI to confirm they were dermoids and then had a laparoscopy, it was no big deal despite NY worries at the time. I'm now in the middle of my 2nd cycle since surgery and have no pain whatsoever. :)

My gynae told me cysts like this were common and always benign so nothing to worry about :)

Hi Yellow hen

Thanks a mil for your reply:) Ah I'm not too worried just got a bit freaked out when I googled it and seen some of the pictures:eek: When you say cycle are you talking about periods? The doctor said to me today that the cyst probably wouldn't do anything to make my PCOS symptoms any better as in no periods etc but you would think having a big thing like that hanging off your ovary would interfere with things!

Hi Yellow hen

Thanks a mil for your reply:) Ah I'm not too worried just got a bit freaked out when I googled it and seen some of the pictures:eek: When you say cycle are you talking about periods? The doctor said to me today that the cyst probably wouldn't do anything to make my PCOS symptoms any better as in no periods etc but you would think having a big thing like that hanging off your ovary would interfere with things!

Hi!
    you're right, googling Dermoid Cyst would totally turn your stomach! mine had two teeth and a load of hair, rotten when i think about it, but, it's gone now, was also 15 x 18 cms when they took it out, was hiding away for years, and strangely, for something so large, I had no pain or anything that would have made me think something was wrong, just about two months before i got it removed I was very uncomfortable and got a huge swelling in my abdomen (do said that it must have gotten too big for wherever it was lying and was forced out to a more spacey area).

• Advertisement

Hi!
    you're right, googling Dermoid Cyst would totally turn your stomach! mine had two teeth and a load of hair, rotten when i think about it, but, it's gone now, was also 15 x 18 cms when they took it out, was hiding away for years, and strangely, for something so large, I had no pain or anything that would have made me think something was wrong, just about two months before i got it removed I was very uncomfortable and got a huge swelling in my abdomen (do said that it must have gotten too big for wherever it was lying and was forced out to a more spacey area).

Holy moses that's a melon you were hiding in there!!! Mine was actually quite uncomfortable during my period. My husband googled it and I had to turn away, it was absolutely gross!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

they dont effect fertility though which dissapointed me a bit...I wanted the doc to say 'You're fixed now so off you go and procreate!' :o

Hi!

Haha my my little boy is 2 and still has to get a few more teeth my mam is now convinced the cyst robbed some of them:eek::rolleyes:

went for the MRI today...my god it's the most boring thing ever isnt it! hopefully everything will come back benign. Yellow Hen try not to worry about conceiving too much sometimes it just takes time and sometimes doctors dont know everything:o I was told years ago I'd find it difficult to get pregnant when the time came. My periods are all over the place and now it turns out my uterus is crooked so I'm completely wonky down there:

went for the MRI today...my god it's the most boring thing ever isnt it! hopefully everything will come back benign. Yellow Hen try not to worry about conceiving too much sometimes it just takes time and sometimes doctors dont know everything:o I was told years ago I'd find it difficult to get pregnant when the time came. My periods are all over the place and now it turns out my uterus is crooked so I'm completely wonky down there:

and...being told that you can't move is the worst thing EVER 'cause you start to get 'the itch and the twitch' after about 2 minutes!!

and...being told that you can't move is the worst thing EVER 'cause you start to get 'the itch and the twitch' after about 2 minutes!!

I actually thought they forgot about me at one stage!

Hi Ladies
    Am going in Monday morning to get this bad boy whipped out! Not too worried at all after reading how all of you got on after. So glad to get the fecker out. Did any of you see a picture of the cyst after it was removed? My gynae said he'll show me a pic:eek: Not sure if I'd like to see it! Getting it out by keyhole if all goes to plan.

Best of luck ziggy. Honestly the procedure is fine. The size of the dermoid dictates whether it's major/minor surgery and the length of time you will need to recover. Let us know how you get on. x

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shinnyjosiedan

Best of luck Ziggy. Had mine done back in January and it was grand. I had a laparotomy (major surgery) Was sore for the first few days. Travelling in the car was the worst. Defo rest up after. My consultant wrote a cert for 6 weeks and have to say i needed it. My back used to get very tired if I was on my feet for very long but all good now. My one piece of advice would be don't take too much of the morphine as that will make you constipated (sorry tmi) I was talking to a few other patients who had taken a lot and had to get a laxative suppository to get them going and they were in agony. the difene and paracetmol will keep all pain away...and don't eat toast when they let you have food after. Nurse told me it would give me awful cramps and to have yogurt instead. Best of luck again and keep us posted :)

Best of luck Ziggy. Had mine done back in January and it was grand. I had a laparotomy (major surgery) Was sore for the first few days. Travelling in the car was the worst. Defo rest up after. My consultant wrote a cert for 6 weeks and have to say i needed it. My back used to get very tired if I was on my feet for very long but all good now. My one piece of advice would be don't take too much of the morphine as that will make you constipated (sorry tmi) I was talking to a few other patients who had taken a lot and had to get a laxative suppository to get them going and they were in agony. the difene and paracetmol will keep all pain away...and don't eat toast when they let you have food after. Nurse told me it would give me awful cramps and to have yogurt instead. Best of luck again and keep us posted :)

Thanks guys will let you know how I get on:)
    Shinnyjosiedan, I know exactly how you feel. I had an emergency section with my son and my god it took me 3 months to recover properly. 2 and a half years later I still suffer with my back sometimes (could be from the epidural though) The first splashdown (sorry!:o) after giving birth was horrendous due to all the morphine. I then had terrible pains in my side for about 2 weeks which I reckon was this cyst. Abdominal surgery is not to be taken lightly which is why I'm hoping I'll just need the Laproscopy. Thanks again for the advice:)

• Advertisement

Had my cyst removed yesterday and am at home in bed typing this now:D Had it done by laparoscopy but they had to open up half of my section scar to get the fecker out. It was bigger than they thought it was. Am very very sore today and half bad cramps in my stomach and back but am hoping I'll feel a bit better tomorrow.

Advertisement