Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerobars bottle cage

• 06-09-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I was wondering if any of you use anything like this? I use tie wraps with a normal cage but find it awkward and that it moves around a lot. The linked product is quite pricey so I was wondering if people knew where I could source the same type of mount system? Cheers.

P.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You probably won't want to spend the money if the one you linked is expensive :) but I got to swear by speedfil. Holds about the same amount as one and a half large water bottles, and you can refill on the fly (as per the name). Also you dont get a drinking tube rammed in the roof of your mouth if you hit a bump.

But I realise its mega money. But I didnt have aero bars, nor wont for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

Do you have to come out of the TT position to drink? would it not be possible to fit a regular cage in the same way to your bars using strong cable ties?

I use the profile bottle with the braket & heavy bands and it doesnt stir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cheers guys.

I currently use a regular cage but find that it moves around a bit. It's also hard to get the cage that little bit higher to enable easy removal and insertion of the bottle. I like the look of how the XLab system positions the cage. I might pop in to my LBS and see if a different style of bottle cage might achieve the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Oryx wrote: »
    You probably won't want to spend the money if the one you linked is expensive :) but I got to swear by speedfil. Holds about the same amount as one and a half large water bottles, and you can refill on the fly (as per the name). Also you dont get a drinking tube rammed in the roof of your mouth if you hit a bump.

But I realise its mega money. But I didnt have aero bars, nor wont for quite some time.

Speedfils, emmmmmmmmmm emmmmmmmmmmm.

Don't go there pgibbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    Cheers guys.

I currently use a regular cage but find that it moves around a bit. It's also hard to get the cage that little bit higher to enable easy removal and insertion of the bottle. I like the look of how the XLab system positions the cage. I might pop in to my LBS and see if a different style of bottle cage might achieve the same thing.

I can lend you a Hed Lollipop - goes on the stem, easy entry and exit of standard bottles and nothing moves.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

tunney wrote: »
    Speedfils, emmmmmmmmmm emmmmmmmmmmm.

Don't go there pgibbo.
    Whats up with em, tunney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I use the profile design myself and find there is little or no movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

I use a carbon bottle cage (Zefal, no particular reason for using this other than it was the one on my road bike), and cable ties. I've wrapped some electrical tape around the bars at the cable tie contact point, so that the ties have something to dig into and therefore don't slide down. Two cable ties securing the bottom of the cage to the stem, and another other two out front, pulling slightly forward rather than directly out to the sides (if this makes sense).
    I don't have any movement, although one of the cables snapped once on a rough descent. I'm guessing it was plastic fatigue, so it's worth changing the cable ties every few months. I can take a photo if it's any good to you.

Advertisement