Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A conservative critique of on-line gaming

Options
  • 06-09-2011 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Online gaming- the special child’s playground to gaming.

When you remove the disc for the first time out of its case – flinching at the extent it bends before it pops out – one should not be salivating at the possibility of playing some American kid in a basic non engaging ‘sand pit’ for button bashers.

The whole beauty of games stems from the campaign – that’s the one you nerds always skip – with its engaging dialogue and fast paced action. Who gives a fudge how many people you and your goon squad shot up in an on-line game, enjoy the game for what it is, an interactive form of fiction to promote escapism, not for button bashers who maul the controller in a climax of fear and lust when ‘a real person’ pops up in the cross hairs.

Just because my views differ from yours, does not make them offensive. In the real world people can have differing ideas - grow up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

You've claimed to have a masters in journalism and a degree in english so tell us what's the source of your grievance with online gaming and not rehash what's been said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 semiotic

Personally I find the emphasis on newly released games is solely on the on-line aspect of the game (which, to create takes the least time to create). Writers spend months, even years to create compelling narratives and most people are diving straight into an online session. Correct me if i'm wrong but all on-line games are the same; the only change is the landscape (a few extra trees of buildings). I think the emphasis on online gaming is stripping the creative quality games can bring

But if you dont agree thats fine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

semiotic wrote: »
    Just because my views differ from yours, does not make them offensive.

Indeed. That's why insulting masses of people as your opening gambit is a bit of an unusual decision.

Indeed. That's why insulting masses of people as your opening gambit is a bit of an unusual decision.
    Is it really insulting to have someone not agree with you? One should always welcome criticism of something they believe in or like- as figuring out a response to the criticism only makes their argument and belief stronger- dont be jelly bro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Well to simply put it, multiplayer games last longer in terms of fun and enjoyment.

If i start a single player game, especially fps, im usually watching the end credits to the game the following day and feel completely underwhelmed with my purchase, so i go for the mulitplayer aspect. The only fps that springs to mind that lasts a decent amount of time, is Half life.

Also to think the only difference in online multiplayer games being the landscapes, highlights just how little you know of online gaming.

And the fact that you're clearly operating two different boardies accounts, confirms you know your critique is weak.

:rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

nix wrote: »
    Well to simply put it, multiplayer games last longer in terms of fun and enjoyment.

If i start a single player game, especially fps, im usually watching the end credits to the game the following day and feel completely underwhelmed with my purchase, so i go for the mulitplayer aspect. The only fps that springs to mind that lasts a decent amount of time, is Half life.

Also to think the only difference in online multiplayer games being the landscapes, highlights just how little you know of online gaming.

And the fact that you're clearly operating two different boardies accounts, confirms you know your critique is weak.

:rolleyes:

We're in work therefore are using the same IP address - two different people using two different accounts buddy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I would rather shoot at something that has the ability to challenge me, out-smart me, something that promotes thought development. This is more easily done with a human opponent and very few AIs can compare.

Dialog, plotline as you said stem from the campaign, something that generally has limited replayability and most game devs design it to be a one way ticket.

I see your 4 years of journalism has helped you develop generalisations. I am sure the Star will be happy to offer you a placement.

Yeah sorry bout this keith! I'm dragging u down here...

Good point Nix- I know some people who finish games pretty quick so i guess there is nothing left to do. I guess my point is only valid to those who skip past the campaign option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I'm (kinda) with the OP.

Multiplayer can go die in a fire as far as I'm concerned. Too much hassle for too little reward.

At least if I have the audacity to shoot an NPC he won't respond with a highly inventive combination of ethnic and homophobic slurs.

• Advertisement

CORaven wrote: »
    I would rather shoot at something that has the ability to challenge me, out-smart me, something that promotes thought development. This is more easily done with a human opponent and very few AIs can compare.

Dialog, plotline as you said stem from the campaign, something that generally has limited replayability and most game devs design it to be a one way ticket.

I see your 4 years of journalism has helped you develop generalisations. I am sure the Star will be happy to offer you a placement.
    A masters is one year mate- and I have a steady job for a broadsheet thanks- if were looking for un witted and haggard writers i might send u a PM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm closing this. It's an obvious troll and the fact the user has set up a seperate troll account just to insult people isn't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

semiotic wrote: »
    Online gaming- the special child’s playground to gaming.

When you remove the disc for the first time out of its case – flinching at the extent it bends before it pops out – one should not be salivating at the possibility of playing some American kid in a basic non engaging ‘sand pit’ for button bashers.

The whole beauty of games stems from the campaign – that’s the one you nerds always skip – with its engaging dialogue and fast paced action. Who gives a fudge how many people you and your goon squad shot up in an on-line game, enjoy the game for what it is, an interactive form of fiction to promote escapism, not for button bashers who maul the controller in a climax of fear and lust when ‘a real person’ pops up in the cross hairs.

Just because my views differ from yours, does not make them offensive. In the real world people can have differing ideas - grow up.
    why is this tripe still even open for discussion its clearly a troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Think the OP needs to change the word conservative in the thread title to something more apt :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement