Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog showing

• 06-09-2011 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi

Please can someone tell me the rules of showing a dog over here.
    Moreso how the Green Stars work and what CAC and CACIB means??

Thank you!:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

andreac on these boards would be a good person to ask, she shows and is very knowledgeable on the subject. Her Rottweiler is an Champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

We started showing or dog last month, but going to the show dog training for about 3 month now. andreac is the expert in the "show dog field" but this gives maybe a little overview too
    http://www.simplesite.com/bassethoundclubofireland/31491241
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Hi Galway556, I've only started showing myself, and I must admit it is all very confusing :eek:

I've gotten to know Andreac through boards and have met her at a couple of shows since, she is great help! ;)

Here is a link to the Green Star System used over here http://ikc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=45&Itemid=62

To the best of my knowledge CAC means certificate in conformation and CABIC is an international level of CAC as far as I know, I could be wrong..

Ive got a Rottie and have another one on the way so I will be showing a lot more this coming year as I now know what I've gotten myself into!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi there,

Yes Garreth is right:)

In Ireland we have Green Stars but in Europe they are known as CAC's. The International Shows have CACIB, it stands for "Certificat d'Aptitude au Championnat International de Beauté".

In Ireland we dont have as many International Shows anymore, we have 3 in total. They are quite expensive to hostand the Clubs just dont have the funds so a lot of the International ones have been downgraded to just normal Championship shows.

The way it works is that you need 7 Green Stars under 7 different judges to become a Champion in Ireland. One of these must be won after the dog is 15 months of age.
    A Green Star is basically the best dog, or the best bitch in each breed. So each breed will have 2 Green Stars, 1 for the male and one for the female.

In each breed, the classes are set out by age and the champion class, so you have Puppy, Junior, Intermediate, Open, Champion and Veteran.

Each class winner, as long as its graded Excelllent, will go against each other to compete for the Green Star, ie Best Male and also Best Female.
    All dogs are graded in their classes, and only class winners that are graded excellent can go forward to compete for the Green Star.

Both these winners then go head to head for the Best of Breed, which then goes on to compete in its respective Group, ie Group 1-10, there are ten Groups in total.
    So then all the Group winners will go forward to compete for Best In Show.

The International Shows are a little different as not all the classes can compete for the CACIB and the Green Star.

To show your dog at IKC shows, it must be reg with the IKC and in your name. Your dog must be 6 months to compete at most shows, some have Minor Puppy or Baby puppy classes where they can enter from 4 months of age.
    Males must be entire.

Any more questions, just shout:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Sorry to jump in on this. You say males must be entire, what about females?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Shanao wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in on this. You say males must be entire, what about females?

Females are supposed to be too, but, its a lot easier to hide a spayed female, so you cant always tell if a female has been spayed or not when shes in the show ring.

Advertisement