Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were last nights high winds a result of the remnants of hurricane Irene?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Title explains all. I haven't been following the recent weather reports but I just wondered are last night's winds a result of the tail end of hurricane Irene?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

No that storm is long gone but by next monday we might get the tail end of a new Hurricane:eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hooter23 wrote: »
    No that storm is long gone but by next monday we might get the tail end of a new Hurricane:eek::pac:

Not 100% correct there pal...

Lee got mixed into the polar front and its the polar front thats passing through ... so yes and no... :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Not 100% correct there pal...

Lee got mixed into the polar front and its the polar front thats passing through ... so yes and no... :);)

No, Lee's still only just dissipating over the eastern US and won't make it this far. The remnants of Irene helped deepen the low to the south of Iceland, which has now helped set up this strong thermal gradient leading to the first strong jet stream of the season.

So in my opinion it's probably 20% caused by ex-Irene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Su Campu wrote: »
    No, Lee's still only just dissipating over the eastern US and won't make it this far. The remnants of Irene helped deepen the low to the south of Iceland, which has now helped set up this strong thermal gradient leading to the first strong jet stream of the season.

Cool!

I had wondered this myself due to the slightly unusual (?) path taken by Irene if it was the same depression coming back around.

Nothing like getting up on a morning like this morning and seeing leaves and small branches strewn everywhere. Really signals the end of something and the start of something....else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Su Campu wrote: »

AHHH IRENE!! FORGOT ABOUT HER! ha, ye i got mixed up! ...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

And here comes Katia according to the GFS! Models for 4 and 6 days time. ECMWF and UKMO don't seem to indicate as deep a depression at day 6 as the GFS does.

173480.png

173481.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Just a few versions of what might happen out of 20!

gefs2.png

gefs8.png

gefs11.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

At the above rate of going, I would say the boards stormies could chase again! lol We will see, we will see.....It's definitely an interesting one to watch, thanks for posting the graphs. Will be worth comparing them to real time graphs when/if the event (?) occurs.

EDIT: Is there a similar graph to the one above showing a past storm tracking in a similar manner with similar pressure and what kind of winds did we see from it? It seems like years since I heard the words "Storm Force 10, or Violent Storm force 11", and wondered if this is the kind of set up for it????

Just realised there is a separate Katia thread, mods please feel free to move my post. And it seems MTC mentions the words Storm Force 10 etc lol ... in the other thread.

Advertisement