Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should school uniforms be abolished ?

Comments

• Yes, I think so. People always bring up the old 'kids would get teased because of their clothes' argument, but kids get teased anyway. If it's not clothes, it's shoes or bags or whatever. Anyone I know who went to a non-uniform school said that there was no competition about outfits because people stopped caring after the first week. My blazer alone cost about £120, then we needed a specific brand of skirt, blouse and jumper, so that ended up costing about £300 a year, if we didn't grow during the year. Kids need clothes for outside school anyway, so I don't see how it would work out much more expensive to wear them in school as well. You can get nice/fashionable clothes in Penneys and H&M really cheaply. And you could choose comfortable clothes. All I remember about my uniform was that I was freezing in winter (we had to wear a skirt), uncomfortable in exams because my uniform was always getting too tight by the summer and the waistband had no elastic and just generally felt horrible in it because it looked awful. I wish I'd been able to wear jeans and a hoodie every day like my American cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Seriously! The amount of people on this thread that seem to think that choosing what to wear in the morning is such an abnormally impossible task, that they advocate abolishing the free will to wear what they want!

Sometimes I find it hard to choose what to cook some days, so I get my mum to feed me a bland, grey nutritious paste. It's great because I don't have to make that impossible choice of what to eat. All my friends are forced to do the same so I won't have to envy my friend Liam, who would normally have Pizza, while my family would eat bacon and cabbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Seriously! The amount of people on this thread that seem to think that choosing what to wear in the morning is such an abnormally impossible task, that they advocate abolishing the free will to wear what they want!

It's funny... you propose obligatory nudity to counteract this, and suddenly everyone wants choice again.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Have you never woken up in a crappy mood, feeling a bit ugly, looked into your wardrobe and said "Ugh I hate everything I own"? most teenage girls (and a few boys too I'd say) has gone through a phase of hating themselves.

I liked my school uniform because I never had one of those awful mornings.

Abolishing free will? Drama queen much? I expressed myself with my accessories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

No because it would only incite more bullying.

• Advertisement

• phasers wrote: »
    Have you never woken up in a crappy mood, feeling a bit ugly, looked into your wardrobe and said "Ugh I hate everything I own"? most teenage girls (and a few boys too I'd say) has gone through a phase of hating themselves.

When I feel like that, I throw on some basic blue jeans or black cotton pants, a T-shirt and a grey jumper or a hoodie. Done. Still looks miles better and is much more comfortable than most uniforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

phasers wrote: »

Only on Saturdays. Those were the days I spent 14 hours trying to work out what to wear. I still have them. Every time there's no one to tell me what not to wear. Perhaps uniform should be mandatory 24/7?

phasers wrote: »

No, because I'd wear Dunnes jeans, a generic zippy (black) and a Thin Lizzy t-shirt. If I'm feeling mad, a pair of uban camo trousers. Comfortable, cheap, stylish and enough pockets.

My uniform was a blue itchy jumper that would give you a rash if you wore it with a short sleeve shirt. The pockets in our grey slacks could barely hold my phone.

And I don't care about your inability to make conscious decisions, or the social torture of having a vagina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

No

They lessen the gap between rich and poor.
    I understand the kids don't want to ware uniforms but when you get older you understand what a difference they made in unifying the kids of different classes.
    School uniforms are cheap compared to replacing stuff ever month or so.

• No

They lessen the gap between rich and poor.
    I understand the kids don't want to ware uniforms but when you get older you understand what a difference they made in unifying the kids of different classes.
    School uniforms are cheap compared to replacing stuff ever month or so.

If you're replacing stuff every month, you should be more worried about what kind of spoiled brat you're bringing up. A shop every September before school starts should sort out almost everything, with perhaps a few bits and pieces bought for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭CallMeFlo

No way!! :eek:

Uniforms are there for plenty of reasons. To stop bullying would be the main one though. It's just easier to have them and they actually cost less in the long run :)

Plus I'm starting college and I wish they had uniforms!! Freaking out about getting new clothes and shoes and such like :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm sure they do but what has that got to do with wearing a uniform at school.

Well unless everytime they meet outside of school theyre bollick naked :eek:
    I understand the kids don't want to ware uniforms but when you get older you understand what a difference they made.

:rolleyes:

Do you think everyone on this thread is still in school ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

CallMeFlo wrote: »

Uniforms are there for plenty of reasons. To stop bullying would be the main one though. It's just easier to have them and they actually cost less in the long run :)

Plus I'm starting college and I wish they had uniforms!! Freaking out about getting new clothes and shoes and such like :p

Exactly why secondary should be uniform free. Teens need to grow up learning to deal with different styles and to be able to take criticism of what they wear. If you hadnt a uniform in school i doubt you would be nervous.

I am starting college too and i have to say its a problem for me because over the last couple years i havent really put any effort into clothes because besides nights out i never really needed to dress well because i was in uniform all day. I think i need to lose some weight though before i start investing in decent clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Definitely not. Lol at the "They're oppressive" stuff...

Dudess wrote: »
    Lol at the "They're oppressive" stuff...

In fairness I missed that post.

Granted its a bit late and no doubt someone will take great delight in pointing it out but its hardly the majority on the this side of the debate making such a contention.

Its not oppressive just a damn nuisance (and an expensive one at that)

LOL though at the claims that it reduces bullying though. Given that the majority of primary schools and virtually every secondary school in the country have always had them what exactly is this based on other than unfounded belief ?

But how could four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers, a few pairs of socks/tights, a tie... for an entire school year - and possibly into the next year(s) - be more expensive than casual clothes? :confused:

Teutorix wrote: »
    Exactly why secondary should be uniform free. Teens need to grow up learning to deal with different styles and to be able to take criticism of what they wear. If you hadnt a uniform in school i doubt you would be nervous.

I am starting college too and i have to say its a problem for me because over the last couple years i havent really put any effort into clothes because besides nights out i never really needed to dress well because i was in uniform all day. I think i need to lose some weight though before i start investing in decent clothes.

Awh yeah I know what you mean but I still think uniforms are a good idea, I mean I'm nervous and everything but once I'm settled I won't care anymore :). I think there is a huge difference between college and school, in college were not going to get bullied for what clothes we wear because everyone's kind of grown out of it but in school it's different. Even if in fifth and sixth year when they're more mature they could wear no uniform but in first to third I think they should keep it that way because students can very pass-remarkable at that age you know? :)

Awh yeah I know what you mean but I still think uniforms are a good idea, I mean I'm nervous and everything but once I'm settled I won't care anymore :). I think there is a huge difference between college and school, in college were not going to get bullied for what clothes we wear because everyone's kind of grown out of it but in school it's different. Even if in fifth and sixth year when they're more mature they could wear no uniform but in first to third I think they should keep it that way because students can very pass-remarkable at that age you know? :)

Yeah, that makes sense, i would like to see the senior cycle students not have uniforms. Maybe have a dress code enforced instead to prevent people wearing mini-skirts and hot pants and the like :pac:

• Dudess wrote: »
    But how could four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers, a few pairs of socks/tights, a tie... for an entire school year - and possibly into the next year(s) - be more expensive than casual clothes? :confused:

If it all has to be a certain brand and a blazer is required, you're easily looking at a few hundred pounds on top of the casual clothes any teenager needs for weekends/evenings. There's no way anyone needs a few hundred pounds to buy an extra few pairs of jeans, tops and jumpers to top up the wardrobe for weekdays.

Youre asking me how could......

four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers, a few pairs of socks/tights, a tie... for an entire school year - and possibly into the next year(s) PLUS the non-uniform four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers one changes into when they get home/at weekends/holidays etc

Could be more expensive than.......

non-uniform four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers ?

Ill leave the maths to you.

• Advertisement

Depends on the school I guess. In my own case, I went to a state school and it wasn't expensive at all - personally I preferred the lack of hassle of having a uniform.

Yeah, that makes sense, i would like to see the senior cycle students not have uniforms. Maybe have a dress code enforced instead to prevent people wearing mini-skirts and hot pants and the like :pac:

Agreed! :)

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Youre asking me how could......

four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers, a few pairs of socks/tights, a tie... for an entire school year - and possibly into the next year(s) PLUS the non-uniform four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers one changes into when they get home/at weekends/holidays etc

Could be more expensive than.......

non-uniform four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers ?

Ill leave the maths to you.
    I don't know whether it's realistic to think that those are the only clothes a kid would have for an entire school year - possibly longer - if they didn't have a school uniform.
    My school uniform pieces, apart from tights, lasted me years.

It makes sense to me too that kids who can't afford stylish and abundant clothing are more likely to be targetted by bullies - why wouldn't they be?

I don't know whether it's realistic to think that those are the only clothes a kid would have for an entire school year - possibly longer - if they didn't have a school uniform.

It makes sense to me too that kids who can't afford stylish and abundant clothing are more likely to be targetted by bullies - why wouldn't they be?

I have never witnessed bullying due to fashion, ive seen it due to something as small as reading books, but never because of clothes.

• Dudess wrote: »

Why not? Most non-uniform schools aren't fashion parades. You can easily see the difference between rich and poor kids anyway. If they're going to be picked on for being poor, their shoes/bags/hair/phone are all easy targets.

Funny that sounds like the kind of argument one hears on "gay adoption" threads

Bullies will always find some "reason" to target an individual even in an environment of homogeneous clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Drrty.

SO perhaps you need someone to tell you what to wear for the rest of your life...?

Seriously, if he have an education system that results in people being unable to choose clothes in the morning, something is vey ****ing wrong. That or some people have no business doing the leaving cert in the frist place, let alone going to cllege.

Apparently, there are a few cartels doing the rounds.

I said ages ago and I'm saying it now; common sense and a brand-free dress code helps everyone.

(P.S. - where you been? Welcome back!)

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    SO perhaps you need someone to tell you what to wear for the rest of your life...?

Seriously, if he have an education system that results in people being unable to choose clothes in the morning, something is vey ****ing wrong. That or some people have no business doing the leaving cert in the frist place, let alone going to cllege.

Are you serious right now? :p Did you really read my post and believe that when I said I wish college had uniforms that I meant it? I was just expressing how nervous I was about starting college and getting new clothes and that. To say that I have no business going to college over that is just ridiculous but thanks anyways :D

• Advertisement

Well I don't know about you, but everyone I knew in secondary school changed out of their uniforms the second they got home. Did you ever go to a school without uniform? I had the benefit of seeing both perspectives.

Well I don't know about you, but everyone I knew in secondary school changed out of their uniforms the second they got home. Did you ever go to a school without uniform? I had the benefit of seeing both perspectives.

My school had no uniforms in first year and i can confidently say that choice of clothing never led to bullying. My mohawk got me a few sly digs though, but I amn't an emotional cripple so I didn't take it to heart.

Are you serious right now? :p Did you really read my post and believe that when I said I wish college had uniforms that I meant it? I was just expressing how nervous I was about starting college and getting new clothes and that. To say that I have no business going to college over that is just ridiculous but thanks anyways :D

Yep. Just re-read it there and it still sounds serious. You wish adults had to wear uniforms because it would make it easier to choose clothes. The stuff about being nervous starting college is a side issue, I assume anyone would be nervous starting college, and uniforms would neither help nor hinder you. You're supposed to be an adult by that stage.

When I said that some people had no business in college, it was a general comment not meant for you specifically.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Yep. Just re-read it there and it still sounds serious. You wish adults had to wear uniforms because it would make it easier to choose clothes. The stuff about being nervous starting college is a side issue, I assume anyone would be nervous starting college, and uniforms would neither help nor hinder you. You're supposed to be an adult by that stage.

When I said that some people had no business in college, it was a general comment not meant for you specifically.

Awh yeah I know what you mean but I still think uniforms are a good idea, I mean I'm nervous and everything but once I'm settled I won't care anymore :).

Maybe I just don't come off the way I mean to when typing :confused:

See I put the licky face in my first post because I wasn't being serious and in my second post I said about being nervous but that once I'm settled I'll get over it, meaning the whole wearing my own clothes everyday thing. Now do you get what I meant? :D

What a lot of people seem to forget is the amount of time dedicated to uniform checks, and sh1tty punishments due to improper uniform wearing.
    My school had no uniforms in first year and i can confidently say that choice of clothing never led to bullying. My mohawk got me a few sly digs though, but I amn't an emotional cripple so I didn't take it to heart.

I also had a mohawk and don't regret it. I was getting more greif off my parents though, haha.

What a lot of people seem to forget is the amount of time dedicated to uniform checks, and sh1tty punishments due to improper uniform wearing.

I also had a mohawk and don't regret it. I was getting more greif off my parents though, haha.

My mom cut it for me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Uniforms are a farce. As are codes for haircuts etc.

Apart from them being gross restrictions on kids ability to express themselves, which as kids they should be allowed do since its not really so easy when you are older in a job etc, they force parents to buy an entirely extra otherwise unnecessary, expensive set of clothes for kids. The argument of uniforms stopping kids competing is complete rubbish since the kids will compete out of school if they are the competing type anyhow. Quite apart from this the government has parents looking for education grants for their 200,000 which is 40,000 more than expected - to cover back to school expenses - a large proportion of which is made up by uniform expenses.

Its a complete farce.

John Q Taxpayer did you know your taxes were being used for this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Uniforms are a farce. As are codes for haircuts etc.

Apart from them being gross restrictions on kids ability to express themselves, which as kids they should be allowed do since its not really so easy when you are older in a job etc, they force parents to buy an entirely extra otherwise unnecessary, expensive set of clothes for kids. The argument of uniforms stopping kids competing is complete rubbish since the kids will compete out of school if they are the competing type anyhow. Quite apart from this the government has parents looking for education grants for their 200,000 which is 40,000 more than expected - to cover back to school expenses - a large proportion of which is made up by uniform expenses.

Its a complete farce.

John Q Taxpayer did you know your taxes were being used for this ?

So is cost the problem with uniforms? If schools had generic uniforms, trousers, shirt and jumper that can be bought in Dunnes or somewhere for a few quid would that not make more sense?
    I went to school up north and when I started my secondary school there was an official supplier of uniforms (cost a fortune), but that was done away with shortly after and as long as the uniform was the right colour, the only purchase that had to be made there was for a tie (and that should do for the full seven years). That was 20 years ago now, am I right in assuming that this rubbish still goes on down here?

Apart from them being gross restrictions on kids ability to express themselves
    Just my personal take, but I never found this, and I would have been leaning in the creative/artistic direction. All clothes can become a uniform tbh.

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    So is cost the problem with uniforms? If schools had generic uniforms, trousers, shirt and jumper that can be bought in Dunnes or somewhere for a few quid would that not make more sense?
    I went to school up north and when I started my secondary school there was an official supplier of uniforms (cost a fortune), but that was done away with shortly after and as long as the uniform was the right colour, the only purchase that had to be made there was for a tie (and that should do for the full seven years). That was 20 years ago now, am I right in assuming that this rubbish still goes on down here?

Yes you would be. My school had to get uniforms from a supplier in galway, retardedly expensive and the clothing was of the shabbiest quality i have ever seen. The jackets were made of paper, the jumpers were like a sheep was sheered, dyed black and no other processing was done. and the shirts tore at the seems from daily wear and tear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I agree with them either being abolished completely, with a dress code in place or at least made simple and generic (eg. Black trousers, white shirt, black jumper and free choice on shoes, jackets, scarves etc)

I can only speak from my own experience, but my god my uniform was terrible quality. It cost a fortune and within a couple of months my jumper sleeves would be fraying to shreds and my skirt hem would be falling apart. Having one uniform for 4 seasons is outrageous and ridiculous, especially with the highly changeable Irish weather. My school went the whole hog as well - jacket and scarf etc :rolleyes: All of which were poor quality and overpriced! We were even supposed to wear green O'Neills for PE, which was ridiculous, since they were about £40 at the time if my memory serves my correctly. My mam point blank refused to buy them and I did initially get into trouble over it.

I'm a few years out of school now, but I have not and will not change my opinion on how schools overly enforce uniforms and appearance rules.

As a 13 year old, I had an unfortunate phase of mild acne. I was publicly berated for having make up on over it, and lectured by a teacher on how I was making my skin worse. It was incredibly embarassing, and as someone earlier pointed out, sometimes school staff members really go on a power trip over these things.

TL DR - At a secondary level, you have to learn to think like a grown up. Having a dress code to adhere to is the most practical approach for this, since you'll be doing it for the rest of your life.

• Advertisement

We were even supposed to wear green O'Neills for PE, which was ridiculous, since they were about £40 at the time .

Ah but they stopped you wearing all those branded clothes.....Oh wait !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nikey

I wish everyone had to wear a uniform in adult life too. Loved the ease of just rolling out of bed knowing what to wear. Its far too much hassle these days having to look for decent clothes to buy that suit me then worrying what they look like and so on...

Hmm, be cool yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Oh hi. I was just listening to newstalk there so I was and they were talking about the expenses related to children's school uniforms.

The presenter remarked that his children's school allow them to wear a school tracksuit uniform. Fair enough a lot of schools have been doing that since the 90s.

Boom: in come the calls and texts - No tracksuits for kids, keep the ties and shirts. Concerned mammy's vs ''hoodies''

These people responsible for raising childers really think that clothes will turn their kids into scobers/skangers?

Absolutely sickening imo.

I once worked in an office of a big company, they opened a committee to discuss liberating the dress code.

Numerous women signed up to the committee and blocked a move to make ties non-compulsory.

Why? It's absolute madness.

If I had my way any woman over 40 wouldn't bare their legs, do I have the right to make that decision? No. Nor should I tbf.

Shaking with the rage here so I am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Leftist wrote: »
    ...If I had my way any woman over 40 wouldn't bare their legs, do I have the right to make that decision? No. Nor should I tbf.

Shaking with the rage here so I am.

Sharia Law here we come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Maybe the mothers are concerned how others see their children??

Honestly theres nothing stranger than mothers.....they are nuts at the best of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

O

If I had my way any woman over 40 wouldn't bare their legs, do I have the right to make that decision? No. Nor should I tbf.

Why? Plenty of hot women over forty :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Numerous women signed up to the committee and blocked a move to make ties non-compulsory.

Why?

They were all reading "50 Shades of Grey"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Dress code is a load of shoite. I think the kids look smart in the school track suit. It's not like they are in an Adidas trackie and have white socks tucked into their reebok classics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

phil1nj wrote: »
    They were all reading "50 Shades of Grey"?

Can we please stop mentioning that ridiculous book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I thought schools had school tracksuits for the days when the kids were doing sports. They don't let them wear them every day.

Is that not it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement