Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should school uniforms be abolished ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Leftist wrote: »
    the only reason that would be unsightly to see a child in a tracksuit would be if you were a materialistic snob.

Only in your opinion. I happen to think we should encourage our children to dress well and to look after their appearance. Being well turned out and knowing how to maintain a uniform is a life skill. It can't do anything for a child's pride to wear a tracksuit to school every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

I feel sorry for the dog.

Don't. He's a proper c*nt at the back of it.

Nobody should have the right to tell any man to wear a tie, especially a woman.

and that's not intended as sexist, it's just that they don't have to wear ties so why should they tell someone else to do so?

You really have quite a range of issues, don't you OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

While I agree that people should live & let live, I take exception to your belief that I'm a snob.
    "...if other people want to dress their kids in ill fitting, cheap & shoddy clothes with elasticated waistbands..."

That's called being a snob...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

what if your kid's school decided, based on a referendum amongst children's parents, that it would be best to cease blazer/tie/shirt/slacks and bring in generic school tracksuits.

Would you remove your kids from said school?

Yes. I would rather my children not go to school at all than wear one of those tracksuits like you posted earlier.

The time to stop wearing clothes that resemble baby-grows is when the baby has grown into a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Elliejo

One of our local primary schools gave the boys the option of wearing the school tracksuit instead of the formal uniform. The problem with it is that children will usually change out of a formal uniform after school, but will wear a tracksuit all evening. The hygiene problem became apparent rather quickly. After a couple of years, the formal uniform once again became compulsary for the boys starting in the school. Tracksuit is worn on PE days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stuff like this happens because many sections of irish society are judgemental, insecure, snobish and deeply conservative.

And reek of pish too

BizzyC wrote: »
    That's called being a snob...

No - it's called having an opinion.

Being a snob is when you choose to look down on others because they don't share your opinion.

Elliejo wrote: »
    One of our local primary schools gave the boys the option of wearing the school tracksuit instead of the formal uniform. The problem with it is that children will usually change out of a formal uniform after school, but will wear a tracksuit all evening. The hygiene problem became apparent rather quickly. After a couple of years, the formal uniform once again became compulsary for the boys starting in the school. Tracksuit is worn on PE days.

Hadn't thought of that.
    Very good case for the non-tracksuit arguement.

Being a snob is when you choose to look down on others because they don't share your opinion.

You're looking down on what others choose to dress their kids in.

Having your own opinion is fine, but to deride the choice of someone else is being snobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd rather send my kids to a school with no uniform, my primary school didn't have a uniform and I don't remember anyone getting bullied for their clothes. The principal used to say how nice and cheerful it looked seeing everyone wearing bright colours and not drab grey or navy. I resented having to wear a uniform in secondary school for the first year or so, then I began to appreciate it as it meant I had to put no thought into what to wear and didn't have to worry if certain clothes were in the laundry and I couldn't wear X top with Y skirt. I actually missed my uniform starting college because I had to think about what to wear. Now in later years in college we have a dress code which takes the effort out of putting an outfit together as I have a set number of dress/jacket/tights combinations I just rotate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Bambi wrote: »
    Stuff like this happens because many sections of irish society are judgemental, insecure, snobish and deeply conservative.

correct.

Yes. I would rather my children not go to school at all than wear one of those tracksuits like you posted earlier.

Wow. Now that is objectionable parenting.
    What is worse, tracksuits or denying a child education and encouraging a sense of respect for peers and equality?

You really have quite a range of issues, don't you OP?
    You are completely missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Piste wrote: »
    Now in later years in college we have a dress code

Clown college?

I'd be anti-tracksuit myself. I'm a roaring snob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

I also believe that schools should have strict dress codes which exclude tracksuits.

Can I ask if you have children in school?

I think even the 'poshest' of schools will have a school tracksuit as it is essential for all sporting activities.

In my daughters school, they are allowed wear their tracksuit to school if they have PE that day or if they have sports related after-school activities, none of which could be done in a school uniform.

You're looking down on what others choose to dress their kids in.

Having your own opinion is fine, but to deride the choice of someone else is being snobby.

You're projecting here - I haven't derided anyone.

In fact, I have stated several times that people are perfectly entitled to dress themselves & their children in whatever manner they so choose and that I have absolutely no problem whatsover with that.

In fact, I have stated several times that people are perfectly entitled to dress themselves & their children in whatever manner they so choose and that I have absolutely no problem whatsover with that.

oh?
    I also believe that schools should have strict dress codes which exclude tracksuits

curiousb wrote: »
    Can I ask if you have children in school?

You can ask, but I think the question is entirely irrelevant.

What is worse, tracksuits or denying a child education and encouraging a sense of respect for peers and equality?

Respect for peers and equality are noble things, but I fail to see how wearing a tracksuit instills any of those values into a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭donegal_man

The one thing I would abolish is the school tie, either that or teach youngsters to tie it properly.

You said that they're entitled to dres their kids and themselves in "ill fitting, cheap & shoddy clothes".
    The level of non-snobbery you're exuding there is astounding...

The fact that you're accusing them of wearing "ill fitting, cheap & shoddy clothes" that makes you a snob.

I wouldn't go around wearing a tracksuit myself because of the negative appearence I believe they give off when it's a grown man doing it.
    That's me being snobby....if you're going to be snobby at least accept it.

• Advertisement

Respect for peers and equality are noble things, but I fail to see how wearing a tracksuit instills any of those values into a child.

I know plenty of uniform schools that demonstrate the opposite of these qualities.
    Clothes don't instill anything in a person, it's the people around kids that do.

I wonder if your kids would have a noble sense of equality if they have to listen to rhetoric like this:
    if other people want to dress their kids in ill fitting, cheap & shoddy clothes with elasticated waistbands, then that's perfectly fine with me.
    Jesus Christ - I wouldn't dress my kid in anything that nasty looking even for a joke.

Can't believe that schools allow children to dress so badly these days - that's the school uniform equivalent of Waynetta Slob.

I genuinely hope you don't have kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

So you'd rather pour children to grow up with a major disadvantage by being uneducated?
    You'd rather see your children become the wasters and dregs of society because of your silly opinion?

The fact that you're accusing them of wearing "ill fitting, cheap & shoddy clothes" that makes you a snob.

If I said that wearing a tracksuit makes you look like a knacker, then I would accept your accusation, but I don't. I'm calling a spade a spade here. If a tracksuit is ill fitting, cheap & shoddy, then it is ill fitting, cheap & shoddy. If you can't get your head around that, I don't know what else to say.
    Clothes don't instill anything in a person, it's the people around kids that do.

That's fairly obvious, but my own opinion is that while it's a good thing to teach kids to be well mannered, it does no harm to also teach them to be well dressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

As opposed to think the whole school should conform to your opinion?

There's nothing stopping you teaching your child to dress properly even if others don't. There's no need to force uniforms on hundreds of children, just because you want your own child to wear one.

Is it possible for you to debate without resorting to personal - and quite frankly - nasty comments like that?

That is a seriously fucking ugly thing to say to someone.

• Advertisement

If I said that wearing a tracksuit makes you look like a knacker, then I would accept your accusation, but I don't. I'm calling a spade a spade here. If a tracksuit is ill fitting, cheap & shoddy, then it is ill fitting, cheap & shoddy. If you can't get your head around that, I don't know what else to say.

You seem to be ignorant to the meaning of the word, so you might need this.....
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/snob
    "a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field: a musical snob."

You think they're ill fitting, cheap & shoddy.
    Not allowing for the fact that other people may have a different opinion isn't being accepting, it's being snobbish.

If you cant get your head around that, you're obviously incapable of understanding simple concepts....

You think they're ill fitting, cheap & shoddy.
    Not allowing for the fact that other people may have a different opinion isn't being accepting, it's being snobbish.

If you cant get your head around that, you're obviously incapable of understanding simple concepts....

If you can show me a tracksuit that doesn't look ill-fitting, cheap & shoddy then I might change my opinion.

If you can show me a tracksuit that doesn't look ill-fitting, cheap & shoddy then I might change my opinion.

Too much snobbery......head going to explode.....

At this point I'm going to assume you're a troll... good day to you snob troll...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

You can ask, but I think the question is entirely irrelevant.

Ok, so you don't have kids :) Let us know if your opinion changes when the realities of life hit you!

And if I'm wrong, apologies, but please tell me what school your kids go to where they wear school uniforms for PE and sports?

Too much snobbery......head going to explode.....

At this point I'm going to assume you're a troll... good day to you snob troll...

Another one with the insults?

Fuck me. If you can't play the ball without playing the man, you've lost the game.

• Advertisement

Fuck me. If you can't play the ball without playing the man, you've lost the game.

You're consistently demonstrating an opinion that matches the behaviour and definition of being a snob in this regard, but you seem completely blind to it.

Using deragatory terms to describe clothing other people wear is an act of snobbery.
    There's no other way of looking at it.

It's your opinion and one you're entitled to it, but expressing that opinion in a way that shows distaste for the choice of someone else falls right into the domain of being a snob.

If you're incapable of seeing that, then you either must be a troll or completly incapable of seeing any way in which other people may have a valid reason to disagree with you.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Uniforms should say. Nothing wrong with making kids wear shirts etc.

Not being able to wear whatever you want, whenever you want is a fact of life. Some people need to get over that. May as well teach the kids at an early age.

Don't buy into this "the only people against it are against it because irish people are judgemental" stuff either. Would you send your kid to school if they were dirty? Or if their hair was sitting every shape or girls hair all tangled and tattered? Or with the remains of their breakfast around their mouths? Why not? Couldn't possibly be because you want your child to at least look presentable, could it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Funny that you're so against materialistic people, think peoples views on a tracksuit being "unsightly" are for snobs:
    the only reason that would be unsightly to see a child in a tracksuit would be if you were a materialistic snob.
    ....are worried about respect for peers and equality:
    Wow. Now that is objectionable parenting.
    ....and again about equality:
    I wonder if your kids would have a noble sense of equality if they have to listen to rhetoric like this:

But you think a woman who you're not sexually attracted to shouldn't show the skin on her legs:
    If I had my way any woman over 40 wouldn't bare their legs

It's like you were trolling, but ended up getting wound up trying to defend a completely hyptcritical OP!
    Where's my popcorn? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I think children should wear school uniforms & I certainly wouldn't send my kids to a school where the children dressed in tracksuits.

what would happen if the tracksuits WERE the uniform? would your mind asplode?

or do you think that uniform means shirt, trousers and jumper? because it doesnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Only in your opinion. I happen to think we should encourage our children to dress well and to look after their appearance. Being well turned out and knowing how to maintain a uniform is a life skill. It can't do anything for a child's pride to wear a tracksuit to school every day.

:pac::pac::pac: your saying wearing a tracksuit is degrading to the child, fúck me.

There's nothing wrong with wearing tracksuits & people who think that someone is a skanger just because their wearing a tracksuit is an idiot, plain and simple, judging someone because of their clothing is moronic, at best.

children generally like wearing comfortable clothes, not tight collared shirts buttoned up with a tie in there too and if you hadn't noticed at a wedding say, the fully grown children don't like this either & loosen it a the first opportunity

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

batistuta9 wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac: your saying wearing a tracksuit is degrading to the child, fúck me.

There's nothing wrong with wearing tracksuits & people who think that someone is a skanger just because their wearing a tracksuit is an idiot, plain and simple, judging someone because of their clothing is moronic, at best.

children generally like wearing comfortable clothes, not tight collared shirts buttoned up with a tie in there too and if you hadn't noticed at a wedding say, the fully grown children don't like this either & loosen it a the first opportunity

Precisely, sure the likes of Seanie Fitzpatrick and Bertie all wore formal suits while destroying the country, not exactly model citizens! :pac: Also plenty of skangers wear jeans these days, does that make everyone who wears jeans a scumbag?

Nick

And?

As I said, not being able to wear whatever you want, whenever you want is a fact of life. You don't get to do everything you want.

How many people really enjoy wearing a suit? Yet people still do it because it's expected of them. Nothing wrong with that, they just have to get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Parents having to spend many times more on a jumper for a crest is ridiculous so if it was the same kind of thing with the tracksuit that would wreak my head as they wear out but if children could wear tracksuits and runners to school maybe they would be more active.

I liked my school uniform except I would have preferred a cardigan with a polo shirt rather than a jumper and a button up shirt (ugh sweat patches), so I can understand altering it for comfort.

I'm not sure what some people are so worried about here, the uniforms is such a small issue compared to the discipline crisis in our school system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

awec wrote: »
    And?

As I said, not being able to wear whatever you want, whenever you want is a fact of life. You don't get to do everything you want.

How many people really enjoy wearing a suit? Yet people still do it because it's expected of them. Nothing wrong with that, they just have to get over it.

and... did you read the post i quoted

the poster is saying "it can't do anything for a child's pride to wear a tracksuit to school every day."

well children generally like wearing comfortable clothes, nothing to do with what's expected by society, how would wearing comfortable clothes effect their pride

wearing a suit is epic, you just look like a twat if you haven't got a reason to wear one

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

Uniforms should say. Nothing wrong with making kids wear shirts etc.

Not being able to wear whatever you want, whenever you want is a fact of life. Some people need to get over that. May as well teach the kids at an early age.

Don't buy into this "the only people against it are against it because irish people are judgemental" stuff either. Would you send your kid to school if they were dirty? Or if their hair was sitting every shape or girls hair all tangled and tattered? Or with the remains of their breakfast around their mouths? Why not? Couldn't possibly be because you want your child to at least look presentable, could it?

Actually, you do get to wear whatever you want whenever you want; if you don't want to work in a bank, you're free to quit anytime (not that I would recommend doing that). The point is that people opt into wearing formal clothing occasionally because they recognise there's a certain necessity to do so under certain circumstances. If you work in business and you're interacting with people you don't know, wearing a suit makes sense. Even then, you're allowed to find a formal appearance that suits you (if you'll pardon the pun), not everyone wears the same formal wear, it's normally something they're comfortable with. Outside of circumstances that require it, I think any adult would object to being made to wear someone else's choice of clothes.

What's different with school uniforms is that firstly, there's no compelling need for a student to dress formally (there certainly isn't for university students, we generally recognise an individual's right to choose what they wear). Secondly, school uniforms are homogenised and generally quite grotty, so you don't even have any choice of what kind of formality you portray to others, if that formality were necessary. I understand that formality is required sometimes in life, but the idea that children can only learn this by spending five days out of every seven during the year wearing a school uniform is ridiculous. It's possible to learn that it's a good idea to wear a suit in an interview without having to lose your right to dress how you want to every day as you head off to school.

Finally, I really don't want to take sides in this whole tracksuits debate because I don't really think it's going anywhere, but I would at least say that kids wearing tracksuits and kids wearing dirty clothes are completely disanalogous. Dressing up in dirty clothes is pretty unhygienic and isn't fit for interaction with other people, I mightn't particularly like tracksuits myself, but I'd never judge anyone for wearing them (except if it's a dirty tracksuit, but that's a different matter). You might say that a kid wearing a tracksuit to school isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, but it's not in the same league as having food crusting itself all over your clothes!

• Advertisement

Lisandro wrote: »
    Actually, you do get to wear whatever you want whenever you want; if you don't want to work in a bank, you're free to quit anytime (not that I would recommend doing that). The point is that people opt into wearing formal clothing occasionally because they recognise there's a certain necessity to do so under certain circumstances. If you work in business and you're interacting with people you don't know, wearing a suit makes sense. Even then, you're allowed to find a formal appearance that suits you (if you'll pardon the pun), not everyone wears the same formal wear, it's normally something they're comfortable with. Outside of circumstances that require it, I think any adult would object to being made to wear someone else's choice of clothes.

What's different with school uniforms is that firstly, there's no compelling need for a student to dress formally (there certainly isn't for university students, we generally recognise an individual's right to choose what they wear). Secondly, school uniforms are homogenised and generally quite grotty, so you don't even have any choice of what kind of formality you portray to others, if that formality were necessary. I understand that formality is required sometimes in life, but the idea that children can only learn this by spending five days out of every seven during the year wearing a school uniform is ridiculous. It's possible to learn that it's a good idea to wear a suit in an interview without having to lose your right to dress how you want to every day as you head off to school.

Finally, I really don't want to take sides in this whole tracksuits debate because I don't really think it's going anywhere, but I would at least say that kids wearing tracksuits and kids wearing dirty clothes are completely disanalogous. Dressing up in dirty clothes is pretty unhygienic and isn't fit for interaction with other people, I mightn't particularly like tracksuits myself, but I'd never judge anyone for wearing them (except if it's a dirty tracksuit, but that's a different matter). You might say that a kid wearing a tracksuit to school isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, but it's not in the same league as having food crusting itself all over your clothes!
    What if your kid wanted to go to school in their clean pyjamas. Nothing unhygenic about that. They want to wear them.

Would you let them? Or "deny them their right" ?

After all, by your logic where's the harm.

I fail to see a single issue with making kids wear uniforms. This "denying them their rights" is laughable too. As if kids are allowed to do whatever they want within their rights at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I think the tracksuits are cute!

I went to one of the most ridiculously snobby schools in the country. We had uniform-nazi-officers patrolling the corridors who would look out for anyone with; a thread hanging from jumper sleeve, a loose hem, hair tie in a non-approved colour, visible remains of any makeup from the weekend, unbrushed hair, lip gloss etc. 'Uniform slips' were issued to be signed by parents along with a sizeable dose of public belittling and humiliation.

Even worse were the non-uniform days. To arrive in non-labels would have been permanent social suicide. I'm not exaggerating this, it actually was that horrible.

I can see the pluses - I am capable of conforming & this helps in the working world, its character-building etc.

But also, its really f**king horrible & too much pressure on kids / teenagers.

I think the tracksuits are a great idea as it eliminates the competition surrounding expensive casual clothes (and this will exist in fee-paying expensive schools). I think a large focus should be there on encouraging kids to take care of their appearance particularly hitting puberty and there should be additional support assigned to teachers to communicate to kids about personal hygience & other issues around this time. I don't think girls should wear jewellery / make-up / nail varnish, it can look tarty & the boys should be shaven. In the fee-payign schools I can certainly see that parents could afford to buy school tracksuits but again, that's just going to cause a rift between these kids and general school tracksuits. Could they provide all the tracksuits in a variety of colours?

here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

My 7 year old & the rest of his classmates wear navy tracksuits to school.

Should I check under his bed for Rizlas & empty Dutch Gold cans?

If only more parents were as concerned with what their little darlings were doing in their free time.....

Oh, and if 100 children are all wearing navy tracksuit bottoms, blue polo shirts and navy jumpers with a school crest on, is that not a uniform? I wasn't aware it had to involve a blazer & elasticated tie to be defined as a uniform.

My 7 year old & the rest of his classmates wear navy tracksuits to school.

Should I check under his bed for Rizlas & empty Dutch Gold cans?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

What if your kid wanted to go to school in their clean pyjamas. Nothing unhygenic about that. They want to wear them.

Would you let them? Or "deny them their right" ?

After all, by your logic where's the harm.

I fail to see a single issue with making kids wear uniforms. This "denying them their rights" is laughable too. As if kids are allowed to do whatever they want within their rights at any time.

Actually, yes, I don't think there's a harm in that. If someone wants to wear their pyjamas in public, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to do that. After all, whether you choose to wear a t-shirt and jeans, a tracksuit or a shirt and tie in your spare time is arbitrary, I don't think pyjamas are any different. The only reason a parent might object is on the grounds of sheer silliness, but that's not really what we're debating, it's whether you should have to wear a uniform or not. Considering your average school contains kids who wear normal clothes, do you really think it's unreasonable for a kid to go to school wearing something like a t-shirt and jeans?

And did you even read the rest of my post? I clearly stated that any adult would take issue with having to wear something they wouldn't normally wear without a good reason to do so (such working in a bank or a hospital), I think it's pretty clear that the same principle applies to kids, a lot of them don't like being made to wear clothing they find grotty and uncomfortable in a place where they learn and play. I also said that even if there were a good case for to look "respectable", uniforms impose a certain type of formality. You don't even get to choose which shirt, tie or trousers you wear because it's the same shirt, tie and trousers as everyone else. I don't mind wearing suits as an adult, but I hated how rigid and dull my uniform was in school!

So, considering I'm not sure what your arguments are, I'd like to ask a few questions. Do you think there ought to be a good reason to make someone wear something they wouldn't otherwise wear or do you think it should be done because we can? Do you think there is any particular reason that objecting to uniforms is laughable? And do you think university students should be made to wear uniforms?

I didn't say anything about wearing a tracksuit being degrading to a child. And I wasn't making any assumption about people who wear tracksuits in general, those words are all yours. I just think it's good for children to learn how to wear a uniform, look after it, follow the rules etc. It's all training for when they grow up and become a guard, or a nurse, or an office worker. Life is often not about wearing what you like. When we go to work we are all judged on how we are turned out, may as well learn to wear a shirt and tie without carrying on like a strangled monkey while you are young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I dont care if a school chooses to have a uniform or not but if they do I dont think it should be a shirt and tie with a jumper that cant touch bare skin without being itchy. It's possible to look smart without a shirt and tie while being comfortable. The uniform for my secondary school was over priced but because it was a certain colour and only 1 shop in town had them you had to pay it.

Thankfully there wasn't any rules about being clean shaven or having your hair in a certain way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Anybody else think the "Oh hi" at the start of the OP makes it sound like some kinda public service ad or cheesy work video?

Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such public-service videos as 'Designated Drivers: The Life-Saving Nerds' and 'Phony Tornado Alerts Reduce Readiness'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 GunRunner

People can be so weird about clothes. When I was younger i had friends whose parents forbid them from being with me because Of how I dressed (I don't look rough or anything, I've just never dressed in a way that was considered "normal", nor have I conformed to any social groups). I always found it so odd.

In regards to school dress codes, I think that most schools dislike individuality and want everyone to conform. I have nothing against the actual uniform, it's the extra bits that bother me. I used to get some some sh*t from teachers over hair/makeup/shoes. I remember once getting in trouble for wearing pink eyeshadow, teacher said it was over the top, yet at least five people in the class were smeared in orange foundation and frosted pink lipstick. Another time a teacher kept on at me that she thought my green hair was in appropriate, never said anything about the loads of girls with bright red hair. I never listened though and eventually most of them left me alone because they realised that despite looking "weird" I was actually no bother. There were always some who targeted me for not conforming though.

Wow.. I got off topic. Sorry!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement