Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Slow Peak times

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Dolallyah my modem stats

RECEIVE POWER LEVEL 21.2 dBmV
    TRANSMIT POWER LEVEL 42.2 dBmV
    SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO 37.7 dB

• Registered Users Posts: 6 porkchop34

tracerty.jpg

1489578368.png

1489580176.png

47109764.png

47109809.png

@Mark Where do I find these power numbers? Thnx

Whatever this d2 aorta thing is it takes ages resolving it into the IP address when we are routing to France or Definately the UK I believe.

Hence Big Pings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

mark17j wrote: »
    Dolallyah my modem stats

RECEIVE POWER LEVEL 21.2 dBmV
    TRANSMIT POWER LEVEL 42.2 dBmV
    SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO 37.7 dB

Mine are:
    Receive Power Level
    -1.2 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level
    52.2 dBmV

check link below .........your receive is way out of acceptable bands

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5862

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Mine are:
    Receive Power Level
    -1.2 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level
    52.2 dBmV

check link below .........your receive is way out of acceptable bands

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5862

Porkchop just head into ur modem, click system and they should come up..

Why is it so high? Tech came out about 3 weeks ago to install my bb, new wiring outside, new UPC point on wall - cable connects directly to modem, no spiltters attached etc.. ??

an improvement to earlier 1489616541.png

I dont have System I have the new White Router Thomson One I click on Status and can see power on the singular upstream and the many downstreams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I'm seeing the same thing here. Everyone has to ring their helpdesk and tell them that there's a problem with their network. Don't get fobbed off with any "reset your router crap".

I will be ringing them on Monday .

They have ok customer service in fairness the guy said my router is probably past it.

Since they did an upgrade to put me from 7mb Upload to 10MB upload it hasn't been the same at all at all so I dont whether the new config file got botched and didnt install properly but both of the issues together just ruin my gaming and windows sharing.

I may utilise the Bridge Mode when it comes available and just get a class router instead.

Thanks for the help guys I will ring them tomorrow and say I have tried a million things get a new router and shout at them a bit.

I also got impacted by them blocking certain sites eg g2play.net for about a month as well too which was really annoying but that has been solved so it seems the do listen to us when we give out.

Snail slow speeds here again - usually after 10pm the last few nights
    First thing tomorrow I shall be calling them

1489856320.png

better This Morning 8:52am
    1490366317.png
    47138764.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mavvvy

How did you guys get on today with the dreaded call centre? Going to be calling them later when i get back from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mavvvy wrote: »
    That's what I thought when I switched to 50mb. Out of curiosity, how could local contention not be reflected in pings to the local exchange?

Because bandwidth is not necessarily linked to response time. Contention on the local exchange is merely a matter of bandwidth, a set amount shared between multiple users. The less users, the more bandwidth per person. Ping is the amount of time it takes to send and receive a response. This can be affected by bad routing or heavy load on a particular exchange.
    What I mean is, I get a low pings to all hops domestically in Ireland, its only when it goes to certain places overseas that the issue becomes visible.

Sounds like NTL have a exchange route to England that is either faulty or under a inordinate amount of strain. Heavy bit-torrent use tends to cause this, due to the thousands of requests going to and from the one IP. This would be unusual outside of bit-torrent or heavy use sites(like this one).
    For example for a week about a month ago I could not connect to a server which I rent in London with a few mates. Everyone else could connect, some in Ireland on connections from different providers. However I could not even get a ping from the server in question. Its this point here that led me to running the tracers in the first place to find out what was going on.

Bad routing. It does happen, a support call should fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Mavvvy

Thanks for the detailed response Cuddlesworth.

In the interim it seems the issue has been resolved, as this evening is the first time in weeks for ping and packets are not all over the place.

Hopefully it stays this way. Thanks to all our combined complaining seems to have worked (for the time being)

Nope, got hit with packetloss and a varible ping nightmare this evening. The pox on you UPC, I say

My Connection was good the last few days surprisingly, no slow ups - but this evening being hit with heavy conjestion.. barely achieving 1mb down...pings all over the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was very slow this morning and yesterday morning,under 1mb down,which was frustrating for work,but is working great this evening,the opposite of everybodys elses problems.

1495090773.png

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

I am having this problem also and have been for a while.

Did anyone get anywhere with their complaints?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

I got hit by this last night (Round 9:15pm Dublin 6).

Fracking unusable, couldn't load most pages, speedtest.net half loaded then gave a latency test error. Eventually starting running at <0.5Mb/s but eventually crapped out.

I'll be off to another provider if this becomes a regular thing. Be interested to hear if anyone gets anywhere with UPC.

gR

*edit* It's fine again this morning BTW 25Mb/s down 2.5Mb/s up

gerryR wrote: »
    I got hit by this last night (Round 9:15pm Dublin 6).

Fracking unusable, couldn't load most pages, speedtest.net half loaded then gave a latency test error. Eventually starting running at <0.5Mb/s but eventually crapped out.

I'll be off to another provider if this becomes a regular thing. Be interested to hear if anyone gets anywhere with UPC.

gR

*edit* It's fine again this morning BTW 25Mb/s down 2.5Mb/s up
    My speed has been ok lately, but some evenings some web pages won't load properly the loading wheel keeps spinning...I have to keep hitting the reload button... very annoying...so i just leave it for a few hours and it does be fine then

EDIT, all running good tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

I had the same problem this morning at arounf 7am, looked to be the same this evening but a reboot of the router and it look ok now. Emailed UPC anyway to see if there's a known issue.

my wired connection This Morning.
    Not the best.

1515884731.png
    1515889349.png

better. 13:45pm but not as good as it should be this time of day.
    1516146353.png

Right now :rolleyes:

1542476892.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You would be better off downloading a large file off heanet rather then using a speedtest site. Its quite possible that the speedtest site itself is incapable of providing the bandwidth necessary, especially with the recent and fast uptake of 24-100mb lines in Ireland. Heanet is part of our INEX peering and while UPC doesn't exactly have great connectivity to INEX, their 10gig links are rarely put under any strain.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

Heanet is part of our INEX peering and while UPC doesn't exactly have great connectivity to INEX, their 10gig links are rarely put under any strain.

Whatever about their peering policy, UPC has very good connectivity into INEX:

http://www.peeringdb.com/view.php?asn=6830&peerParticipantsPublics_mPage=3

I.e. 10G into each of INEX's peering LANs.

Nick

Advertisement