Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD- Wexford commuting

Options
  • 06-09-2011 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭

Friend of mine is commuting from Wexford to UCd - Getting the Wexford Bus each day until their accommodation is sorted out... We've looked online at the site, but I've learned to never trust bus timetables online, so can anyone on this board who has ever gotten this bus before tell me where to get this from ucd each day and does it come on time? how long does it take etc? Any info is much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Go out the main gate, cross the bridge over the N11, turn left and go to that busstop. It's where Wexford Bus and Bus Eireann services to Wexford, Wicklow and Waterford via New Ross pick up.

Dunno about times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

From what I remember taking that bus two years ago, it was there any time between 3 & half 3, 5 & half 5, half seven. That was on a Saturday though & might have changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Cheers for the reply! Raphael, do you mean turn right, and go the bus stop where the 45a stops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The very one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I think you'll be wanting bus no 2 if your going by Bus Eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 carf

If you want to get Bus Eireann it is the number 2, but I commuted for two summers and found Wexford Bus more frequent and reliable.
    I won't account for any other times, but I got the ones leaving Wexford at 06:15 or 7:30, and from Dublin at 14:30 or 16:30 and found the timetable on their website was generally pretty accurate - it's never been more than 10 minutes late for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I commuted to UCD using Bus Éireann's 002 service for three years. It's quite frequent, (a bus every hour). Some of the afternoon services can be full though (surprisingly not the 17:30 for some reason) and I think one or two are scheduled to bypass UCD. A tip here is to walk down to St. Vincent's Hospital stop on Nutley Lane, it will also help avoid being left behind if the bus is full. It's only about 10 mins walk from the Montrose stop. As a general rule of thumb if the bus leaves Busáras at XX:30 it will get to Vincent's around XX:45-50, UCD XX:50-55, depending on traffic of course.

EDIT: I see from the timetable that it is the 17:30 that doesn't pick up at UCD, but as I said you can always stroll down to St. Vincent's and get it from there. Vice versa for the 7:30 ex-Rosslare which doesn't set down at UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

To further add to the confusion, there's also Ardcavan:

http://www.ardcavan.com/dublin.html (Montrose Hotel), but tbh that's probably only the best if you want to go further than the town (so if your friends lives on the way to Wellingtonbridge/further on from there it's really really handy). Other than that, it only goes up and down once a day so it could be a bit annoying.

You could ring them and they'd pick you up (I saw people get on from the Montrose stop on Thursday so it must just a be a demand thing - also if you went up on them and told them you wanted to be picked up from UCD - I've never had a problem doing that).

Em, yeah avoid Bus Eireann. Come on it's the public service pacman.gif Urgh, I avoid them myself and everyone I know who has travelled on them say Wexford Bus is far better... they definitely have the longest journey time compared with the other 2.

You can buy ten Wexford Bus tickets at once: http://wexfordbus.com/fares/wexford-dublin-city/ They are great, have free Wifi which passes the journey quite nicely if it works

Advertisement