Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sci Fi Soc

Options
  • 06-09-2011 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hello all,

Mature (ish) student here, starting Biomedical Science this year. I've been looking through the list of societies on the DIT website, and I was delighted to see that Games Soc is in Kevin Street. But I didn't spot a Sci Fi society on the list. Does one exist?

Thanking you in advance,
    Poppy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

I don't think there is. You could always start one yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

I'd join that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I dont think there is one but all you have to do is get a form from the socs office, get 15 signatures and you're flying. Check http://www.socs.dit.ie/socs/ and email them with any questions you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

I'd join that =P I'd even be one of yer 15 signatures lol =D

I would join it too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

You'll definitely have no problems getting 15 signatures in Kevin street

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

I'd definitely join such a society. I'm in Kevin street

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

If you're able to, you can drop down to the socs office in Aungier Street's basement this week and talk to James or Anita. They'll be delighted to hear about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

I'm game!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

I'd be in too!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 SLDeviant

What would you do in this society?

Are you thinking Tabletop gaming and the like, or just watching movies and discussing books?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

Well we could organise a weekly get together and watch a classic/discuss, maybe organise trips to the cinema for a film release

If the soc gets the numbers, a subsidised trip to a big convention in the UK or europe might be possible ?

Would anyone have any interest in a Fantasy & SF society that did all of the above as well as had a forum for weekly games of DnD , Whitewolf Pnp, or some Cyberpunk pnp rpg?

It is genuine fun if you have people with the right disposition.

Yea that would be cool. Would widen the scope a bit for more members. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

I'd Join too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

SLDeviant wrote: »
    Would anyone have any interest in a Fantasy & SF society that did all of the above as well as had a forum for weekly games of DnD , Whitewolf Pnp, or some Cyberpunk pnp rpg?

I'd really love to get into that :)

I'm in Mountjoy Sq, would it be really awkward for me to get to this stuff? I haven't really got any idea where all the buildings are in relation to each other...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

It's a good idea, but I think most RPG type stuff usually takes place in gaming societies, at least it does in most colleges. There's already a gaming soc, so it should be possible for them to setup DnD nights for interested members etc., then keep the Sci-fi soc for those who are into Sci-fi but not gaming (which is a pretty hefty amount I'd imagine)

GameSoc in DIT already have DnD nights... Well they play games once a week which include videogames, card games and if there is a DM at it they will usually set up a game of DnD if there is enough people who wanna play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

So I headed in to Aungier Street last week, and filled out the society form. With any luck, NerdSoc should be up and running in time for societies week!

I'm hoping to book one of the lecture halls in Kevin street once or twice a week for TV shows and movies, trips to the cinema for new films (eg. The Avengers next year), discussion groups, intro to comics, maybe a library or book swap club, and possibly a trip to a convention or two - I already have my ticket for the Irish Discworld con in November:) And of course there are gaming conventions like Gaelcon and Warpcon that i'm sure some sci fi people would enjoy!

RPG nights sound great, but more the Games Soc's area of expertise - maybe we can organise some joint events?

And now, a cry for help (or call to arms, if I want to sound slightly less pathetic) - volunteers required to help man the NerdSoc stand in Gleeson Hall, Kevin Street, on Tuesday 27th September, assuming it's approved by then. Otherwise it'll just be me there between lectures, which won't be often... Anyone interested can PM me, or reply in thread.

And do keep the suggestions coming for events and activities!

Thanking you in advance,
    Poppy

I shall be joining this next week. :D

• Advertisement

So I headed in to Aungier Street last week, and filled out the society form. With any luck, NerdSoc ...

You lost me at NerdSoc.

You lost me at NerdSoc.

I'm not using "Nerd" in a perjorative sense, I just like the word. And liking SF /Fantasy/comics/whatever is pretty nerdy... Again, not that this is a bad thing! I'm quite happy being a nerd.

Would "GeekSoc" have been any better?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Awh,

Our first boards society! I'm so proud!

Need someone to help ya out with committee stuff just give me a holler lol =D

Another update, after the Clubs and Socs meeting today. The name won't be NerdSoc after all - they want something it to be something more appropriate. Any suggestions in the next day or too will be considered!

I do, however, REALLY need a couple of volunteers to help with the stand - I'm just going to be at the Kevin Street expo, on Tuesday. If there are two or three of you who would be willing to sign up members and basically pimp the society out while I'm in class, I'd be willing to pay you in sweets!

And as always, ideas for activities are welcome.

Thanks,
    Poppy

Awh, I liked the name NerdSoc :mad:

Stupid Societies Office.

If you want, come up with some suggestions and I'll add a poll, see which one is most popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Hey I missed the socs day in kevin st. Just wondering how/where I can sign up?

tinz18 wrote: »
    Hey I missed the socs day in kevin st. Just wondering how/where I can sign up?
    Not a problem, just come along to the first event, which should be next Thursday (13th October), somewhere in Kevin Street - I'm still trying to arrange the room with the college, but I'll post here once it's finalised, and I'll email out to those who have already signed up.
    It'll be a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy night, so bring a towel!

Did you guys think of a name for the Society yet?

• Advertisement

Just Sci Fi Soc. The Socs office thought it would be good if we had the same name as most of the other college Sci Fi societies around. You know, to avoid confusion...

Advertisement