Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doing Extra modules?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I'm a Law Plus student, and have to pick 2 elective modules this week, one from each of 2 groups. I'd planned on doing an extra Law module and the German module, but some of the introductory lectures have been really interesting- the Public Administration and the Politics & Government ones in particular.

I remember someone asking about doing extra electives on our orientation day, from what I remember she said you could get a certain type of grade for sitting in on lectures or something? I didn't pay much attention at the time because I didn't expect to find other lectures interesting. So does anybody know how that would work? Or do any of you just sit in on lectures you find interesting for the experience without getting any formal benefit from it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Dont bother. You're wasting your time doing extra modules. Enough pressure on you with 5 modules before doing 6. If you love German then do German, if not then you've a big decision to make as German is tough in University. I do politics its fairly interesting butI wouldn't bother with public admin

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

I would be inclined to agree with the poster above, better off concentrating on your 5 subjects and getting good grades in them, you'll just be swamped with work taking on more. Any extra modules you take do show up on your transcript, but are just on a pass/fail basis and don't add to your QCA. So it's a lot of extra work for very little benefit.

Since you're taking the extra law elective this doesnt really concern you, however, if you're looking to go to Kings' Inns and are not doing the extra law module, then you might want to consider taking Jurisprudence, Admin Law and Company law as additional subjects when the opportunity arises so that you matriculate for the entrance exams..

Other than modules that are obligatory to matriculate for professional exams, just pick modules that you think are fun in the first instance. You'll enjoy college much more, go to lectures much more and study much more, at the end of the day if you have a 1.1 in Law & a doss subject it's more valuable than a pass degree in Law & Psychology or something, so make sure you don't make it too difficult to get good grades.

I started off doing law and economics in first year, and now I'm in 4th year and am doing law and politics. They are good for letting you switch elective streams if you can show cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

My course apparently had an extra module for the first semester, Life Skills, but when I went to register my modules, it didn't appear. Anyone know anything about this module?

Advertisement