Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brock Lesnar v Alistair Overeem

• 06-09-2011 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Figured this needed a new thread!
    Brock Lesnar will return to the UFC octagon in a five-round main event Dec. 30 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, facing newly signed former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem.

Source: LA Times (and posted by official UFC Twitter account.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Just seen this on twitter, nice fight. Will have to watch this one live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Source if needed
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/09/brock-lesnar-vs-alistair-overeem-ufc.html

Also tweeted by ufc & Dana White (so hopefully not a joke)

And also......
    fap.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

If Overeem shows up like he did against Werdum then I can't believe I'm saying this I think Brock will beat him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

NOT a good match up for a guy who don't like getting hit.

If Overeem turns up in top form and condition i think he'll win by 1st round TKO/KO

14 months out and they're throwing him in against Overeem.

Damn the UFC sure are looking after there cash cow and giving him an easy ride :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anybody else thinking what i'm thinking? That the bosses over at Zuffa are very concerned about Brock's ability to fight (and beat) the 'Big' names, and due to his illness there may not be many more fights for him.

Seems to me like they wanna cash in now with a huge fight that will probably break PPV records

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

SDTimeout wrote: »
    If Overeem shows up like he did against Werdum then I can't believe I'm saying this I think Brock will beat him.

I don't think Overeem had a bad performance that night. It's very difficult to look good against someone who doesn't want to engage. If Brock struggled to deal with the boxing of Cain and Carwin then Reem will ****ing blast him. Haven't seen Alistair fight a great wrestler since he went up to HW but I reckon his takedown defence is fairly solid and this will be an easy night for him if the fight goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

It's going to make for a great occasion if not a great fight, to be fair to Brock he hasn't ducked any challenges put in front of him but can't see past a 1st rd KO/TKO for Reem.

I presume it's PPV rather than on Fox, PPV numbers will be huge.

RoryMac wrote: »
    It's going to make for a great occasion if not a great fight, to be fair to Brock he hasn't ducked any challenges put in front of him but can't see past a 1st rd KO/TKO for Reem.

I presume it's PPV rather than on Fox, PPV numbers will be huge.

Yeah, The 'New Years Event' is always PPV, and damn they're gonna market this one to hell and back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, The 'New Years Event' is always PPV, and damn they're gonna market this one to hell and back

It'll be interesting to see what other fights they put on the card, any rumours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Brock will take it to ground,
    Overeem striking is not near as dynamic as cains, I think this will go to ground fast and if brock does not get guillotined then he'll pound overeem out.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I just cant see Brock winning this. Brock's chin has let him down in his last two fights against Carwin & Velazquez but Overeem is a different story. Overeem stops Lesnar in the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

unknown13 wrote: »
    I just cant see Brock winning this. Brock's chin has let him down in his last two fights against Carwin & Velazquez but Overeem is a different story. Overeem stops Lesnar in the first.
    I haven't seen anything that would suggest Brock has a poor chin. He got stunned by Carwin but recovered enough to finish the round and recover, and Velasquez mauled his face until the ref stepped in. He doesn't like being hit in the face but it doesn't seem easy to knock him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭FrankAmazing

almost got sick in my pants when i heard it lads

this is gonna be absolutely unbelievable

the superfight we never thought would see happen

i was uber excited about diaz gsp but this has now taken that excitement to a whole new level!!!!!!!!!!!oh sweet mother of god!!!!!!!!!!1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Brock WILL take him down I reckon and wrestle for ground n pound or a submission ...or the Ref will stand them up ...rinse and repeat as they say... Brock will count on Overeem tiring by end round 1 or into round 2....Brock will not exchange with the Reem...no way...and in terms of wreslting Overeem will gas quickly....so the fight's more of a risk to Overeem than to Brock I reckon....Overeem will be expected to engage and attack and strike and finish Brock with an Overeem style hook or uppercut...my moneys on Brock...even if I can completely understand Overeem as fav amongst opinions....wonder what the bookies will say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Same here man...hahaha...nearly wet meself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

scudzilla wrote: »
    NOT a good match up for a guy who don't like getting taken down.

Fixed that for you.

I read an article by a bookie in the States who has opened at dead even. He said that Brock would be favourite had it not been for the lengthy layoff.

Brock has been battered by 2 people, both of whom were accomplished wrestlers who could prevent his takedown. Overeem isn't going to be able to stop him IMO and we'll end up seeing a repeat of Lesnar vs Mir II.

image_2.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

I'll be rooting for Overeem, but this is the worst possible matchup for him stylistically. I don't think he has the takedown defence or cardio to match Brock over three rounds, never mind five and he won't be able to submit him.

If he wins though, all hail the Ubereem!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Nice fight. I still quite like the grappler vs striker chess match.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brock plays it like Couture vs Sylvia. He knows that Overeem will be crapping it about the takedown, so he might just throw a big right Herring style.

Overeem looked like crap against Werdum because he was constantly scared to get taken down and it affected his striking badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

It will be a Friday night event also.

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It will be a Friday night event also.
    Noticed that actually. Really weird :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Who da f*ck is Overeem?

Lesnar was the WWF Champion, he'd batter dat Overeem fella. Sure I saw him batter The Undertaker once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I feel bad for Brock after the whole illness mess. If he comes back fit and ready, it'd be nice to see him get a good win, but it won't be all that easy.

I can't believe people are giving Lesnar a chance. His wrestling is over rated, yeah he's a national champ but that was 11 years ago. His technique isn't the best now and he relies so much on his size and strength. I fully expect Alistair can cope with this. For those people who can't wait for December 30th I advise you to watch Reem Vs Duffee because it will just be a repeat of that fight.

Xlami wrote: »
    I can't believe people are giving Lesnar a chance. His wrestling is over rated, yeah he's a national champ but that was 11 years ago. His technique isn't the best now and he relies so much on his size and strength. I fully expect Alistair can cope with this. For those people who can't wait for December 30th I advise you to watch Reem Vs Duffee because it will just be a repeat of that fight.

How can you compare Lesnar and Duffee? Completely different styles and skills.

Xlami wrote: »

Can I ask what you're basing this on?

i disagree and I will tell you why I dont think it's over rated. The instances we've seen him in the cage he has used his wrestling to control and spank Heath Herring and then to completely control and destroy Frank Mir. He then used his wrestling and submission game to beat (albeit, a really tired) Shane Carwin.

And even if Lesnar's wrestling is over-rated and he has regressed x10 in the last 22 years, his regression would still leave him in a position where his wrestling was way too good for Overeem!

I love Overeem, he's a beast! But a grappling match between him and Lesnar sees him SEREVELY out-classed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Can I ask what you're basing this on?

i disagree and I will tell you why I dont think it's over rated. The instances we've seen him in the cage he has used his wrestling to control and spank Heath Herring and then to completely control and destroy Frank Mir. He then used his wrestling and submission game to beat (albeit, a really tired) Shane Carwin.

And even if Lesnar's wrestling is over-rated and he has regressed x10 in the last 22 years, his regression would still leave him in a position where his wrestling was way too good for Overeem!

I love Overeem, he's a beast! But a grappling match between him and Lesnar sees him SEREVELY out-classed!

From a technique point of view; Lesnars wrestling is absolutely over-rated.

His offensive wrestling is based on out sizing and over powering opponents, he had problems with Randy(basically a LHW), he couldn't control a smaller but more skilled Cain Velasquez, and only managed to take down an opponent of equal size once he was dead on his feet.

Overeem matches lesnar for size and power, that alone will give brock problems getting the td. Overeem might gas, but I dont see lesnar lasting long enough to take advantage.

From a technique point of view; Lesnars wrestling is absolutely over-rated.

His offensive wrestling is based on out sizing and over powering opponents, he had problems with Randy(basically a LHW), he couldn't control a smaller but more skilled Cain Velasquez, and only managed to take down an opponent of equal size once he was dead on his feet.

Overeem matches lesnar for size and power, that alone will give brock problems getting the td. Overeem might gas, but I dont see lesnar lasting long enough to take advantage.

It was not all based on strength i'm afraid.

Randy was an Olympic alternate wrestler.

Cain is a 2-time All American and a Junior Champion.

Overeem is neither of these things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Noticed that actually. Really weird :/

Yeah. There is no way would they put it on New Years Eve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭The Left Hook

I think this is a great fight , Overeems first match in the UFC , Brock looking to get back on track. Overeem is no prairy dog though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

almost got sick in my pants when i heard it lads

this is gonna be absolutely unbelievable

the superfight we never thought would see happen

i was uber excited about diaz gsp but this has now taken that excitement to a whole new level!!!!!!!!!!!oh sweet mother of god!!!!!!!!!!1

954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Can only see Overeem winning if he gets an early TKO or if Brock tries to prove something by keeping it standing.

If Brock gets a takedown, it's over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I've always felt Overeem was over rated. I started liking Brock and respecting him alot more after the Carwin fight in particular.

Overeem was terrible in his last fight against a guy who didn't want to be there.

Would like to see Brock try to submit him and show he's in this for the long haul.

Overeem is big and strong and has a great guillotine and is not that bad on the ground, his striking is vastly overrated, he's been KO'd about 5 times in MMA and probably a fair few in K1 aswell-i actually would not be suprised if Lesnar KO'd him iof he lands a punch, if this fight goes ahead i will bet a fair amount in Bookies that Lesnar will win and i will prob try get a 1st rd win as part of that bet.

And i'm not a Lesnar fan, stylistic nightmare for Overeem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Overeems striking is about a million times better than Carwin's and look what carwin did to him. i can't beleive people are so underestimating the reem so much for this. he's going to crush lesnar.

• Advertisement

Overeems striking is about a million times better than Carwin's and look what carwin did to him. i can't beleive people are so underestimating the reem so much for this. he's going to crush lesnar.

If Overeem fights Carwin i believe carwin will KO Overeem, So i disagree with you here, he might be technically a better kickboxer but not striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

I haven't seen anything that would suggest Brock has a poor chin. He got stunned by Carwin but recovered enough to finish the round and recover, and Velasquez mauled his face until the ref stepped in. He doesn't like being hit in the face but it doesn't seem easy to knock him out.

Problem there is, people with sturdy chins don't tend to get stunned all that often. Furthermore, even my fecking gran could plainly see that Brock was not defending himself intelligently against Carwin and that the fight should have been stopped if it wasn't for poor refereeing

Brock will get that glass jaw of his smashed by Overeem in the 1st round if he can't take him down.

cowzerp wrote: »
    If Overeem fights Carwin i believe carwin will KO Overeem, So i disagree with you here, he might be technically a better kickboxer but not striker.

2.gif

Cill94 wrote: »
    2.gif

Point been this is not kickboxing.
    see how Overeem is when he has Dos santo's Boxing coming at him-same will happen

Brock was not defending himself intelligently against Carwin and that the fight should have been stopped if it wasn't for poor refereeing.

Your feckin gran doesn't know much about MMA then. That was one of the best examples of intelligent refereeing I've seen.

He had warned both men that if they were not defending enough he would warn them and if they didn't respond he would step in.

3 times he told Brock that he had to do something and each time, Brock reacted either by trying to grab Carwin's leg or pull guard. Clear evidence that Brock had his wits about him and was aware of the situation.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Your feckin gran doesn't know much about MMA then. That was one of the best examples of intelligent refereeing I've seen.

He had warned both men that if they were not defending enough he would warn them and if they didn't respond he would step in.

3 times he told Brock that he had to do something and each time, Brock reacted either by trying to grab Carwin's leg or pull guard. Clear evidence that Brock had his wits about him and was aware of the situation.

Worst Refereeing ever, would have been a 4th and 5th warning in my opinion, rolling into a ball is not intelligent defense.

He was giving up and the ref should have seen that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

To say Carwin stunning Brock indicates a glass chin is silly. Carwin is one of the hardest hitters in MMA and even then he couldn't knock Brock out.

Worst Refereeing ever, would have been a 4th and 5th warning in my opinion, rolling into a ball is not intelligent defense.

But everytime you see a fighter roll into a ball you'll see the ref do the same thing. Ask for a response and if they don't get it they step in.

The difference is that Lesnar did respond, while most fighters wouldn't.
    He was giving up and the ref should have seen that.

If he was giving up then all he had to do was keep rolling into a ball when the ref told him to respond. The fight would have been stopped, end of story.

He didn't give up, that seemed pretty clear by his constant reactions when the ref threatened to stop it.

I strongly disagree but it's only an opinion so we'll just have to disagree.

I've been saying for almost two years I really, really want to see Reem fight JDS. Be a great fight. Also if you watch some of Reem's K1 fights you see how good a counter striker he is. If Brock tries to trade with him it'll be a very short night. Also his knee's are so accurate and so well timed. They're gonna pose a real threat to Brock when he's shooting in, or if one of his takedowns gets stuffed.

DrPhilG wrote: »

I didn't see Brock try to pull guard once, I don't think he knows what pulling guard means. Sounds far fetched but hey, he didn't even know that the move he submitted Carwin with is called an arm triangle. Anyway that's besides the point. The point is that I hardly think rolling into a ball like a hedgehog for most of the round while you're being pounded on is intelligently defending yourself.

Point been this is not kickboxing.
    see how Overeem is when he has Dos santo's Boxing coming at him-same will happen

Overeem has the most prestigous kickboxing title in the world. JDS is a good boxer but I'd choose kickboxing over boxing anyday, more tools to inflict damage with. Not saying JDS isn't a good fighter but as far as I'm concerned Overeem is the best striker in the HW division and when combined with his size, strength and submission skills, I'll pick him over any other fighter at HW.

I think we need The Voice drafted in for this fight :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Mega Chin wrote: »
    I think we need The Voice drafted in for this fight :pac:
    Good call

"These two fighters have had more juice then the man from del monte"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Problem there is, people with sturdy chins don't tend to get stunned all that often. Furthermore, even my fecking gran could plainly see that Brock was not defending himself intelligently against Carwin and that the fight should have been stopped if it wasn't for poor refereeing

Brock will get that glass jaw of his smashed by Overeem in the 1st round if he can't take him down.

No evidence of a glass jaw at all, just doesn't react well to getting hit in the face.

He said he was never close to being knocked out and even against Cain, the punch that made him drop was to the back of his head.

But obviously Brocks weakness is getting hit in the face however on watching Overeems last fight I think he will be hugely scared of being taken down so won't really go for it.

Comparing Todd Duffee to Brock is ridiculous in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement