Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shaving Gel, whats the point?

• 06-09-2011 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Bought some of this stuff by acident recently and it made me wonder what the point of the stuff is?

It comes out as a gel and you rub it on your face where it becomes a sort of shaving foam, but harder to actually work with. Maybe im missing something, (or doing it wrong!) but i cant see what the advantage is of it compared to shaving foam?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gaza123

I always found it to provide better glide than foam. When the gel foams up some stays gel like underneath. Foam's always seemed pretty weak as lathers go IMO. Nothing near as bad as oil though.

There are also those non foaming clear gels that stay goopy letting you see where the hair is. Got two bottles of it on sale in boots a while ago for 1.20. Lasted nearly a year. Pretty decent stuff apart from the scent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I felt the Gel tended to last longer...that was all I noticed.
    I don't use it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I hate the stuff personally. Funnily enough though I dont mind shaving oil,lasts like 5 yrs for a teeny bottle and works surprisingly well! Try "king of shaves" if you can find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gaza123

Years since I tried it. tWas king of shaves I was using at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Often wondered the same thing. I'll usually get it in a set at Christmas. I reckon I used the stuff for a good 6 months before switching back to normal foam. Its alright but its hard to judge how much gel you need to cover your face. With the foam, you just know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Either foams or gels are far inferior to soaps/creams and a proper brush. Even if you don't plan to use a straight or safety razor you will get a) better quality shave and b) save a fortune on canned goo. Mixing up proper shave soap takes 1-2 minutes.

Advertisement