Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub snacks

Options
  • 06-09-2011 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Wouldn't it be great to have something other than crisps and bacon fries. When I'm in London i can buy Chilli nuts, Bombay Mix, Pork Scratchings, all delicious in their own way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

Because they are disgusting :p

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nuts are pretty common in lots of bars. Including those warm chilli nuts that come in a tub.
    The londoners can have their bombay mix tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Bombay Mix is lovely so I'd be fine with that - but pork scratchings? Pass the bucket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Pork scratchings ftw
    Mellor wrote: »
    Nuts are pretty common in lots of bars. Including those warm chilli nuts that come in a tub.

Ah the big tub and you think great, excellent value
    But there's a false bottom :mad:
    When I was a barman I gave two tubs for price of one, only fair realy

• Advertisement

lol, its not a false bottom. It's required for strength, without it the tub would fall apart.
    Paper cups for drinks have it too, its just not as noticeable when the total/relative height is much more.
    2 for 1 is a great deal though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭okeanes

there never gonna stop serving salted nuts and crips as when you drink youll get hungry and youll eat salty unhealty crisps and nuts to make you more thursty to boost all of there sales and they got us all there , theyll never serve anthing apart from sandwhichs at at bar that arent salty .
    there smart enough .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

cheese and grapes on a stick. Fcuk yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What about olives? People might think it's a bit pony but black olives go great with Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was in some pub up near the bleeding horse last year, they came out and gave a free bowl of cocktail sausages & chips on our table, we were only just on the first or second pint too.

Wish more places did this, it costs them very little and a reason to return. Nuts at least should be free as standard, you get 500g for 1.50 or so in lidl and they are grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^ Nice! The most I've ever got free in a bar like that was small bowls of plain popcorn. They refilled them continuously though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PhilTorres

Pub in Naas gives free cocktail sausages during the football games. Plenty of salt added to make you drink more of course but still tasty. Do be happy enough with Bacon Fries myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Plowman wrote: »
    Nice, I love chorizo when drinking.

In the heineken brewery tour at the end you had big tables and got cheese and beer. We were in a group and saw another group of lads, looked Spanish, and they were not touching the booze and wolfing down the cheese, they saw us not touching the cheese and came over motioning a swop of their beer for our cheese, win win!:pac:

The popcorn is a good idea, again costs pittance. My mate lived down the country a while back and used to have a trick, could be 6-7 of us fishing down pints, we would get up and pretend to leave the pub in the afternoon and the owner would run over "ah lads, lads, stay and we'll get you something to eat", and come out with sausages & crisps or sandwiches.

Free fod is standard over here in Oz.
    Sausage rolls and pies on fridays, sandwiches on saturday afternoon, hot dogs at matches, I got sandwiches a while ago for xmas in july.
    nothing for the Rugby World Cup yet, thought there would be. Pints of bulmers cheaper during the irish matches is about it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I love pork scratchings.

Especially the ones you see behind bars in England in plain see through plastic bags.

the nicest ones are the ones with the pig hair still in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Pickled boiled egg put in a packet of crisps!
    Haven't had it since I was in Cambridgeshire in the eighties!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Scampi Fries FTW!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

mikemac wrote: »
    Ah the big tub and you think great, excellent value
    But there's a false bottom :mad:
    When I was a barman I gave two tubs for price of one, only fair realy

Used to love them! When I was a barman it wasn't uncommon for me to go through a slimjim full of them on a slow night. Getting paid to lean against the bar watching the football on a tuesday night eating hot nuts, ah Celtic Tiger, how I miss you!

Advertisement