Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Maths Higher Level.

• 06-09-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I was just wondering how far everyone else is into the course at the moment.
    I need atleast a B3 for maths for my course but would be hoping for a high grade as it is one of my better subjects.
    At the moment we have covered
    • Coordinate Geometry: THe line and Circle
    • Differenciation
    • Triginometry
    • Algebra

Is this exceptionally far behind or not? Should I start studying the course by myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

Swap circle co-ordinate geometry for stats and we're equal.
    And we're supposed to be far enough in, so I'd say you're fine

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ClaireBearBoat

We have Algebra, Differentiation, Trigonometry, Statistics and Probability covered so far (well most of probability). I'm not sure where we should be at this point but as long as we get the course finished I'm happy enough :)
    I wouldn't be too worried if your teacher knows what he/she is doing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

At the moment we have Algebra, Trig and Binomial Theorem all done. Differentiation is just about done.

Our teacher says we're behind so we have to do after school classes to catch up.. fun.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Wow, yes, IMO that is very far behind!

We have done:

1.Both algebra chapters
    2.Both trigonometery chapters
    3. All of differentiation and its applications
    4. Integration
    5. Co-ordinate geom. the line and circle
    6. Geometery
    7. Calculus
    8. Matrices and Logs

on the other hand, give me a test on this...and I WILL fail :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I've done Algebra 1 & 2 (minus logs though), Trig 1 & 2 (but in my new maths book it makes no sense to me! :eek:), Co-ordinate geometry of the line, differentiation 1 and I think part of 2? we never did log differentiaton or rate of change...and i've done stats + probability pretty much :)
    Wow, yes, IMO that is very far behind!

We have done:

1.Both algebra chapters
    2.Both trigonometery chapters
    3. All of differentiation and its applications
    4. Integration
    5. Co-ordinate geom. the line and circle
    6. Geometery
    7. Calculus
    8. Matrices and Logs

on the other hand, give me a test on this...and I WILL fail :)
    Oh wow, I think you're just very far ahead tbh! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

seriously, you should see our teacher...especially this year ! :O integration in 2 weeks must be some kind of record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Our teacher somehow done the whole course last year, she gave us a test at start of year which was sample paper 2 and everyone (8 of us) got over 70%. We had to work insane hard though and no-one in honours maths does honours irish

Well with a class of 8 it's bound to be quicker, we have around 20+ in ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

True, but the teacher believes in 'iv shown you how to do it, you do the rest' so it doesnt make too much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

At the moment we have Algebra, Trig and Binomial Theorem all done. Differentiation is just about done.

Our teacher says we're behind so we have to do after school classes to catch up.. fun.. :rolleyes:

We have to do extra SATURDAY classes :(.
    We have statistics, probability, co-ordinate geometry: the line and the circle, geometry, trigonometry and constructions done. But we still have another book to do. I'm in a pilot school actually, so some stuff is different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

We have all of algebra done, Stats 1, the circle, the line, differentiation, integration, trigonometry, binomial theorem and induction and complex numbers!

Looking at the book it seems all that's left to do is stats 2, probability, sequences and series, matrices and the Option question!

I thought we were way behind, seems like we've done a lot now though! Now to revise it all................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭glenn3ie

Flabangav wrote: »
    We have to do extra SATURDAY classes :(.
    We have statistics, probability, co-ordinate geometry: the line and the circle, geometry, trigonometry and constructions done. But we still have another book to do. I'm in a pilot school actually, so some stuff is different.

You can bet your bottom dollar that your teacher has 101 different things to be doing of a Saturday morning and s/he will not be getting paid to your Satruday classes so perhaps you should show your gratitude to her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

We've done Algebra, Indices & Logs, Trigonometry, Co-ordinate Geometry, Differntiation, Binomial Theorem, Statistics and Probability. Apprently we're far behind and we're not going to get the course finished which makes me a bit worried. My teacher suggested we all (every single person in the class) drop down to pass and try get the A... It's going to be a fun year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

glenn3ie wrote: »
    You can bet your bottom dollar that your teacher has 101 different things to be doing of a Saturday morning and s/he will not be getting paid to your Satruday classes so perhaps you should show your gratitude to her!

Eh, slight overreaction? Of course I'm grateful, I'd just rather not have to go in on a Saturday morning! And I actually intend to go, unlike a lot of other people in my class...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

glenn3ie wrote: »

First part yes, second part not necessarily - some schools get extra hours that the teacher can be paid for, or that the school itself will end up paying them from their budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

To get the bonus points for the University/college you want to go to you have to get at least a D3 and it is has to be one of your 6 best subjects.

Does anyone know if it has to be in best 6 subjects before or after the bonus points are added on, different people are saying different things but I would assume its before the added on points ?????

Duffman K wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it has to be in best 6 subjects before or after the bonus points are added on, different people are saying different things but I would assume its before the added on points ?????
    If you got all C3's but a D3 in maths, you'd count maths because it's best point-wise. I was really confused over this but I saw it on the CAO website or somewhere so I'm 100% sure. All it means is that if you get 6 A1's and a D3 in maths (in which case it isnt in your best 6 points-wise), you cant say you have 625 points because the 25 points is added to maths, not your overall score. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

Patchy~ wrote: »
    If you got all C3's but a D3 in maths, you'd count maths because it's best point-wise. I was really confused over this but I saw it on the CAO website or somewhere so I'm 100% sure. All it means is that if you get 6 A1's and a D3 in maths (in which case it isnt in your best 6 points-wise), you cant say you have 625 points because the 25 points is added to maths, not your overall score. :)

Advertisement