Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ebook proxy servers HELP !!!

• 06-09-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I have a Sony PRS-650 ebook and have been BUYING my ebooks online from Kobo and booksonboard. Kobo has been selling ebooks at a good price but don't have all the books I'm looking for.Books on board have been by far the best for value and choice.

I registered with books on board with a US address and set up an account with google check out and all was well for about 10 months

. Two weeks ago I was met with the message "no formats available in your country" .. I managed to re-register eventually using a free US based proxy but for some reason every time I try to get back via a free proxy I can't get the site to load.

Is there a proxy service (even pay) that anyone here has used with Books on board. I've tried to access the site via "proxy4free" and I've tried using , IE9 (crap) firefox, chrome and even Opera..any help would be great as I just refuse to pay €18 for a book I can buy on a US site for $11.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I access booksonboard without a proxy and was able to get all the way to the google checkout page just now (with whom I also registered a US address) and I was prompted to pay in dollars as expected.

Anyhow, CGI proxies aren't great as they often block a lot of content that are required for a site to work properly. You should use a proxy that you configure in your internet settings instead. Check out samair.ru if you're still stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 niall2701

Cheers Eoin but can you think of any reason WHY bob would suddenly start giving me the message "No formats are available for sale in your country" .

Prior to two weeks ago no issues at all. I've only started to use the proxy AFTER bob refused to sell me my ebook.. I'm at a loss.

Hi again Eoin,

I just re-registered with bob without proxy just a new user name and changed my US address and it worked perfectly... still puzzled as to why after 10 months it suddenly stopped selling to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's very odd, I've never had any problems. Incidentally, thanks for the Kobo link! Just found a couple of books that the other place didn't have.

Glad to be of help. Kobo is good and their prices are not bad, though as usual their Canadian based website has a better selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭galwayguy85

Here's another means of getting books for your eReader device relatively cheaply...

1. Go to amazon.co.uk
    2. Create an account (a new one if needs be, just for the purpose of getting cheaper eBooks)
    3. Go to the Kindle section
    4. Note that you can't sample/buy eBooks here as amazon has detected that you are not in the UK... no problem!!
    5. Go to 'Manage Your Kindle'
    6. Then go to 'Country Settings'
    7. Make up a UK address. Just be sure that the post matches the city

8. Go to http://nyquil.org/archives/1235-Conv...-Possible.html
    9. Download and install the older version of the Kindle reader application for PC
    10. Also download the python scripts mentioned there.

11. Fire up the Kindle reader app and enter your amazon account details
    12. From the amazon website you should now be able to download UK priced eBook title for reading on the Kindle PC application

13. Quit the PC Kindle application and fire up the 'unswindle' application. This will then allow you to remove the DRM-protection from the Kindle ebook
    14. Using an application called Calibre you can now organise your books, convert them to the ePub format and then sync them onto the Sony reader!

All legit and above board. Afterall, you have paid for the books.

Advertisement