Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission for non-Meath people

Options
  • 06-09-2011 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello, I am currently looking to build a 1600 square foot, two-storey dwelling with four bedrooms and 2-3 bathroom on my grandparents land in southeast County Meath. However, my parents as well as some Aunts and Uncles wanted to build a home in this area a few years ago, but were rejected – something to do with adding traffic to roads, or not creating an entrance at a certain point on a road.

I’m wondering if anybody could help explaining to me how one could successfully go about getting planning permission for a single dwelling in this area, and what could I go about doing to make getting planning permission possible from the Meath County Council planning board?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I don't think that there is a simple answer but somewhere to start would be;

If there was a previous application on the site, then review the reasons for refusal for that application. These will be available on the planning file of the application with the Council. Address / satisfy these reasons to begin with such that they are no longer going to be an issue for the Council.

If for example previously it was deemed that there would be too much traffic on the road of the area and a safety issue was invoked and assuming the road then was a bit of a track rather than a substantial roadway which had capacity for additional traffic, and thus unless you are going to address the roadway (which in fairness you probably aren't or wouldn't be expected to) then nothing has changed, and assuming the development plan for the area and associated planning conditions remain the same, then if you make the same/similar application, you are likely to be getting the same response of refusal.

If you examine planning applications in the area where there are multiple refusals for the same site, you are likely to see many of the same reasons being given (at least where there are no material changes addressing the reasons for refusal to the original application).

Also check what other applications are in the area and compare/contrast any which were granted as opposed to any refused. These will give you hints as to how to potentially proceed.

It is also worthwhile to review the development plan for the area and understand what it says. If it indicates that there are no circumstances on which an area of the County can be built upon and if that area is the one you are enquiring about then you are extremely unlikely to see permission irrespective of how nice a two story you plan on building.

Some areas will have local need conditions/exemptions which will depend on your circumstances but may apply to you if they are in respect of the area.

Enquire in the planning office of MCC as to the development criteria of the area. Talk to people in there.

If you do the above, then you *should* get a good feel for whether or not it will be possible to get planning permission in the area. Otherwise it will be a waste of time, effort, and money going to the bother of having your plans drawn up and submitting an application, newspaper notice, etc.., which may not ever get over the first hurdle - a hurdle which may be entirely predictable (albeit in many instances not avoidable).

Hopefully, that's somewhere to start for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Call the planning dept at Meath Co Co and find out who the planner is and make an appointment where you can discuss any issues around an application.

Advertisement