Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who moved to Three?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

After 8 years with Vodafone, I finally moved to Three's new €20 PAYG deal with Unlimited Data. I never had any problems with Vodafone, but Three's deal was too good not to take up.

I'm sure this new deal has convinced a number of people to move to Three, and would just like to get a general consensus of people's thoughts on the move.

I'm only with them a few days and have no complaints so far. Decent coverage, and decent Internet speed. But I'm going to leave my final judgement until a few more weeks.

But there are some minor things that Three don't have that would make life easier, such as getting your Balance on screen as a message as opposed to having to go through the Browser.

How do you find Three's service. 45 votes

I Ported over, and am happy.
    0% 0 votes
    I Ported over, but not content with the service.
    77% 35 votes
    It's no better and no worse than other Providers.
    15% 7 votes
    I'm thinking of Porting over.
    6% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

How did you register?
    They have said they'll text me my password but as there's no service on the mobile this is presenting a little difficulty, one which the helpline seems not to be able to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

I ported from meteor the week the offer started. So far the service has been adequate, reception drops a bit, and internet appears to be slower, but the deal is so good that it's still well worth it - I've barely touched my initial credit.

Having said that, if they end the deal after christmas, or significantly alter it somehow, I'll move back to meteor cause I was very happy with their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

How did you register?
    They have said they'll text me my password but as there's no service on the mobile this is presenting a little difficulty, one which the helpline seems not to be able to understand.
    I'm guessing you mean register with My3?? You'll just have to wait to be ported over. Mine was done quite quick so you shouldn't have long to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    I've heard Customer Care is brutal alright, although they do have a good Boards presence so at least we've somewhere to direct our issues without staying all day on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'm reserving judgement for the moment.

I've dealt with inept staff and good staff whilst trying to get ported over.

Since I've ported I can no longer ring the missus or text her. Its only her number which is bizzare, other numbers on all networks work fine.
    I'll wait to see how long network support take to fix it before voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

Dman001 wrote: »
    I've heard Customer Care is brutal alright, although they do have a good Boards presence so at least we've somewhere to direct our issues without staying all day on the phone.
    I wouldn't call it a good presence on boards, they're only 'open' Tuesday and Thursday I think which isn't as good as the other operators (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭dub7_2010

Meteor have been doing a similar same offer for the past year, free data for 20 euro top up.

I did see them offering it last month but only until September,so maybe they are going to discontinue the offer.

dub7_2010 wrote: »
    Meteor have been doing a similar same offer for the past year, free data for 20 euro top up.

I did see them offering it last month but only until September,so maybe they are going to discontinue the offer.
    Meteor only has 1GB Allowance, and only comes with free Meteor Texts. Three's deal is much better. Vodafone had a 250MB Allowance with a €20 top-up too during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Your poll is very limited in options.
    I have been with three for some time on Flexi-Fix & now Bill Pay.
    I cant rate my experience with their service on your poll as you have only given options for those that have ported to three since the pre-pay deal started.

• Advertisement

kiwipower wrote: »
    Your poll is very limited in options.
    I have been with three for some time on Flexi-Fix & now Bill Pay.
    I cant rate my experience with their service on your poll as you have only given options for those that have ported to three since the pre-pay deal started.
    To be honest, that's whose opinion I was looking for. Those, like me, who have ported over for this PAYG deal as (on paper) it is the best PAYG deal around.

To be honest, that's whose opinion I was looking for. Those, like me, who have ported over for this PAYG deal as (on paper) it is the best PAYG deal around.

Thats cool so.
    I just thought it was a brill idea (and location) for a poll. Would be interesting to get an over all view on all of the mobile providers service levels sometime.

kiwipower wrote: »
    Thats cool so.
    I just thought it was a brill idea (and location) for a poll. Would be interesting to get an over all view on all of the mobile providers service levels sometime.
    I was gonna, but thought it would be too general. And then the Thread would get flooded with naysayers about Three's Bill Pay service and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi, can someone point me to this offer please? All I see is €39 for prepay and unlimited data, also a map of their 3G coverage if anyones ever seen one would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

http://www.three.ie/products_services/coverage/index.html
    Open your eyes, the link is on the bottom of the home page

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah cool, one last question, 3 say they dont allow you to use the allowance on your laptop if you tether that Samsung with the unlimited data, can they actually stop it or is it just "discouraged"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

AFAIK others have done it here. Some posts on this thread saying it can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Been with three for seven months now. Anytime I had to call customer service I always felt they were looking after me and doing a good job. I have the iPhone with them and am effected by the 2g/3g thing, but it has improved lately and am happy enough with that. Overall I am a very happy camper.

I was gonna, but thought it would be too general. And then the Thread would get flooded with naysayers about Three's Bill Pay service and whatnot.

You are definitely right on the money there Dman!
    I don't know if I would class myself as a naysayer but would definitely say I find them frustrating!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭username2010

Three have absolutely shockingly poor Customer Service when you're having an issue, technical problem etc. To be honest, it's made me want to move away when my contract is up in a few months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Firstly, Im thinking of porting over in a few days myself and take the Iphone for free offer with a 24mth contract @ €40 per month. My question is (if anyone knows), can you upgrade during your contract or are you tied to the phone as well for the 24 mths? (I know I can ask in the shop too, but prefer to hear from current customers who have been with them for a number of yrs)....

Secondly, what is the 2g/3g problem? Is this that you get no 3g coverage for internet, and are left with only voice/text capability?

Thirdly, Thanks!:D

(currently a vodafone ready to go customer)

mumof2 wrote: »
    Firstly, Im thinking of porting over in a few days myself and take the Iphone for free offer with a 24mth contract @ €40 per month. My question is (if anyone knows), can you upgrade during your contract or are you tied to the phone as well for the 24 mths? (I know I can ask in the shop too, but prefer to hear from current customers who have been with them for a number of yrs)....

Secondly, what is the 2g/3g problem? Is this that you get no 3g coverage for internet, and are left with only voice/text capability?

Thirdly, Thanks!:D

(currently a vodafone ready to go customer)

I know you cant change contract types. Ie you cant go from FlexiFix to Full bill paying. Tried myself on my last contract. Not sure if you can upgrade you contract within the same contract type ie go from miniflex €25 to flex€40. I would think you can but probably cant go back down ie from paying €40 to paying €25.

Cant help with the 2g/3g issue, but do check you have full 3G coverage were you live, work and most often spend time before switching.

Do be aware if you have any issue with the contract/phone the customer care is poor. (Though Patrick and Fiona on boards.ie > Biz > Talk to... > Three can be helpful.) Often you get off the phone with less information than you had going on the phone and no answers or explanations.

But if you get really lucky :rolleyes: and never have to contact there customer care team with a problem/question you would think that they are a fantastic company! ;)

Appologies to the OP I seem to have side-swiped the original intention of your thread. Sorry, because you did have a good thread going there,... till I jumped in with my to big feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Chimerical32

Sickened! Signed up to 2yr contact about 2 months ago just to get my hands on the unlimited data plan. Would love to be on payg instead. I've no particular problems with the bill plan. I just hate being tied into a contract. I hope three unlimited data plan sticks around. The general consensus around the interweb is that soon unlimited data will be a thing of the past because too many people are abusing it by tethering too much. I hope not. Well be furious if this 2yr contract ends up not having unlimited data. I make a point of never tethering. Ushering in the new age of technological conservationism. Please pledge just X gigabytes a month and you could help save unlimited data plans from extinction.

Sickened! Signed up to 2yr contact about 2 months ago just to get my hands on the unlimited data plan. Would love to be on payg instead. I've no particular problems with the bill plan. I just hate being tied into a contract. I hope three unlimited data plan sticks around. The general consensus around the interweb is that soon unlimited data will be a thing of the past because too many people are abusing it by tethering too much. I hope not. Well be furious if this 2yr contract ends up not having unlimited data. I make a point of never tethering. Ushering in the new age of technological conservationism. Please pledge just X gigabytes a month and you could help save unlimited data plans from extinction.
    There is definitely an opportunity for Three to monetise from the ability to Tether. I wouldn't chance it now, for the sole fact that I could be charged/kicked off the Network for Tethering (probably a bit over the top, but still wouldn't chance it). I'd be happy to pay €5 for the option to Tether my phone with the Unlimited Data.

Unlimited Data isn't a thing of the past. PAYG users don't get the most out of their Smartphones due to the fact they have a poor Data Allowance, or no Data Allowance at all. This finally opens up the all the potential and benefits iPhones and Android devices bring with Unlimited Data, and hopefully it will become a new trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

...........The general consensus around the interweb is that soon unlimited data will be a thing of the past because too many people are abusing it by tethering too much...............
    Its a consensus based on the rear view mirror.
    (Microsoft would like to think it is true.)
    Bandwidth will increase and it will be at low/no cost to the end user (isnt this what Google Inc have bet their future on ? )
    Why saorview (and all its EU equivalents) if not to facilitate this ?

Olddog

P.S. To demonstrate that bandwidth requirements are not limited to tethering : today I have downloaded 800+MB ( mostly talking books ) to my android ( & I just cant admit how much bandwidth my little green 'droid used on youtube yesterday )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You're guaranteed All You Can Eat data for the duration of your two year contract's minimum term.
    PAYG is guaranteed it only until January 31st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

0lddog wrote: »
    Bandwidth will increase and it will be at low/no cost to the end user (isnt this what Google Inc have bet their future on ? )
    Why saorview (and all its EU equivalents) if not to facilitate this ?
    I'm afraid not - bandwidth requires backhaul which requires investment which costs money. Lots of money. Someone's got to pay.

The next few years will see the end of truly unlimited.

You might get *unlimited data transfer* allowance but the actual transfer speed will depend on how much you are willing to pay.

Or you may need to pay more for a higher quality connection capable of supporting Voice Over IP for example.

Vodafone have already made indications to begin charging in this way - see [this thread]
    Another technology the company is introducing is a Quality of Service feature that prioritises certain users’ broadband access, guaranteeing them four times faster access than a standard connection.
    Effectively, if you want higher priority (better speed/lower latency), you pay more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Backhaul costs peanuts ( how many wavelengths can be transmitted over a SMF pair ? )

VOIP on midband is a different issue to AYCE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

i moved over from meteor to 3 prepay. Its very good deal. Have used hardly any of my credit. Though 1 thing. I cant access any filth websites. Does anyone know how to get around this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Three have barrier to those sites. You'll have to contact CC to get it removed;)

Advertisement