Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with housing estate parking

Options
  • 06-09-2011 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am also currently having problems with housing estate parking, but not the kind mentioned here so far.

I live in an end of terrace, with open parking in front for all the houses in my terrace. One evening I came home: all the spaces were full...the neighbours were having a party...no problem with that, I thought, I'll just park around the side.

The next morning, I received an anonymous note telling me that this was a private parking space and not to leave my car there. The guy who normally parks there always parks it at an angle so that nobody but himself can use it...to add insult to injury, he also has his own private parking space in front of his house across the road!!!

He is in effect taking control of three parking spaces...or so I thought...

I then showed the problem to an architect friend of mine and he pointed out that it was in fact a 'turnaround' [it has circular edges as oppose to the regular parking spaces which are squared off], not a parking space!

So this fat geezer is parking illegally, leaving notes on my car and I want to drop him in it. Apart from torching his car/house, does anybody have any ideas how to get this guy clamped for illegal parking (preferably without my name being dragged into the mix)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm sorry the mis-guided vigilantee board is thataway.
    >

Its not an offence to park in a turning head, that is unless it is causing obstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Koobeton wrote: »
    So this geezer is parking illegally, does anybody have any ideas how to get this guy clamped for illegal parking (preferably without my name being dragged into the mix)?

Report it to the Gardai (illegal parking) or else to the local authority (Dublin City Parking Enforcement) or whoever is responsible in your area for parking enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Koobeton

Victor wrote: »
    Its not an offence to park in a turning head, that is unless it is causing obstruction.

So are you saying that from a legal point of view, this space functions as both a parking area and a turning head...unless it causes an obstruction...which could potentially happen at any time of day or night...?

That's a bit unsatisfactory, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Surely the answer would be to ignore him and park there if you want, if he puts another note on your car bin it..and so on. People get some strange ideas about communal areas and he doesnt have a leg to stand on so let him do and say what he likes. Contact the property managers if you have one and inform them that he is harassing people that park in 'his spot'.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So are you saying that from a legal point of view, this space functions as both a parking area and a turning head...unless it causes an obstruction...which could potentially happen at any time of day or night...?

That's a bit unsatisfactory, isn't it?
    My parents' housing estate (mostly built 1930s-1950s, so the roads are a little small) has about 20 houses, a road wide enough for two cars and has a turning circle at the top. As people park on the road, it can be difficult to use a driveway to turn, so the turning circle is rather important. Parking there means you are a nuisance to quite a few people.

Some modern cul de sacs might have 5 houses, but still have a full sized turning head and parking in it disturbs or inconveniences nobody.

Turning heads are not mentioned in legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Koobeton

Victor wrote 'Its not an offence to park in a turning head, that is unless it is causing obstruction'

and later followed it up with 'Turning heads are not mentioned in legislation'

Is that not a contradiction in terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Victor wrote 'Its not an offence to park in a turning head, that is unless it is causing obstruction'
    and later followed it up with 'Turning heads are not mentioned in legislation'

Both makes sense -it's not an offence because they're not mentioned specifically in legislation but it is illegal to park anywhere which would cause obstruction to other road users.

Advertisement