Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good area in Dublin for a single young professional?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

From memory the 18 bus route runs through Rathmines -> Ranelagh -> Ballsbridge. Or it is a quick cycle, did it myself for a year.

OP, there are a lot of old converted houses in Ranelagh/Rathmines that wouldn't be in the best nick. Also this time of year has students all looking for accomodation in most areas but particularly Ranelagh/Rathmines as it's very handy for colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lainey316 wrote: »
    The price differential between one bed and two bed sometimes isn't that much - for searches on daft and myhome, I'd put in min 1 max 2 for your budget, you might get lucky (I don't know your actual budget)
    On that note, I'd search by price, rather than room number. Have seen people looking for 4 bedrooms, only to miss out on 7 bedroom houses for the same amount as the 4 bedroom houses.

Limit the number of bedrooms in the search to 1, you'll only get apartments, but if you limit the money of the search to your budget, and you may get a small 2 bedroom house in a decent location.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saccharine

Thanks again to anyone that contributed to this thread!

As I promised, a follow-up to how my flat search went. Though it's more of a novel...

First of all, within a few days, I scrapped the idea of renting a one-bedroom, and decided to look for a flat/house share. The 1-bedroom prices were not making much sense to me: you can get a 1 bedroom for 900-1300, or share in a 2-bedroom or a house for 450-650 (how is that 1- and 2-bedrooms have the same price...?). Also, I learned a lot of single professionals are sharing, not only students, which is different from other places I lived in.

Within 2.5 weeks, I saved 62 ads on daft, called/inquired about 30 (learned to call whenever there was a number listed, since I never heard back from some people that only provided email), viewed 9... I wanted to view more, alas the viewings would get cancelled literally as I was getting out of the door. I started with Ranelagh, which I really liked. Soon enough I realized that it's not enough for me to like the place, there was so much interest that I felt like I'm on 'Ireland's Next Top Housemate'. Except I didn't throw tantrums when I didn't get picked (though after 2 weeks of doing this, I was very close). I widened my territory to Sandymount, Ballsbrige, Ringsend and Donnybrook - I think by now I'm well-qualified to be giving walking tours of Dublin 4 :). Finally, I decided Monday will be my last day of viewings, and I scheduled 3 of them. At the first one, the girl (with whom I thought I got along really well) told me the day she posted the ad, she got 25 calls about it. Sounds promising, right? Another one was an open house, there were about 30 people that viewed the place that night... Crazy! Obviously, I didn't ever hear back from them. However, I did hear back from that first girl! So this is how I ended up in a lovely house in Donnybrook, with fantastic housemates. And I do my jogging in Herbert Park, which is perfect. The End.

Advertisement