Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for some advice on a hybrid/city bike

• 07-09-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Have a carrera Fury which I was hoping to use more to get fit/lose weight. With the darker nights coming in I was thinking of getting rid of it and look more at hybrids/city bikes. While not very exciting i can pickup a Raleigh metro Lx for about €300,upside being it comes with mudguards/carrier which will be handy for the days when its not raining but the roads are wet. Halfords have the vodoo range "Marasa" €440 +€50-75 for mudguards/carrier.
    I have an ajustable stem on the Fury at the moment as it makes cycling easier on the back due to the belly:rolleyes: so not looking for anything too low or sporty just yet. Will mainly be doing road and a few park tracks with the kid . Any views/recommend's on the above.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

How about a qx 65? €429 and a bit sportier than the Metro LX, or perhaps try a flat bar racer?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭clonmahon

I have a Raleigh Oakland hybrid bought 3 months ago. Done over 3000 km on it and its going fine. I also bought a Carrera TDF road bike last week. The Oakland is not just as fast as the road bike, but is a much more stable and comfortable ride. A run that takes me 20 minutes and 20 seconds on the 15.5 kg hybrid with 28 tyres, takes 19 minutes and 10 seconds on the 10.5 kg road bike with 23 tyres. I bought the road bike thinking I would use it for long runs, but after a week of road biking I have reverted to the Oakland, it is so much more comfortable to ride, if slightly slower.

I can also carry a good load of shopping home on the Oakland. I have carried up to 15 kg of cargo on it and it still handles reasonably well with this weight hung on it. Comes with carrier, mudguards and chain guard so you can wear ordinary clothes.

Bike weight makes a very big difference if you are racing but if you are commuting or leisure cycling the gains are marginal and I doubt its worth spending a lot of money to get a bike a few kilos lighter, that will get you there a few minutes earlier.

I have nothing but praise for the Oakland, available online from eurocycles for 230 euro, which I think can hardly be bettered on value for money.
    http://www.eurocycles.ie/Raleigh_Oakland_Mens/170_p.aspx

The Raleigh metro Lx has an Aluminium frame which will make it a bit lighter than the steel framed Oakland but I like a steel frame, it flexes a bit more than aluminium and gives a slightly less hard ride. But this is a personal preference and aluminium will still be fine. The metro has more gears than the Oaklands 18 so would be slightly better on steep hills.

Either way my advise is buy a hybrid, road bike are fine for people who want to race about and don't mind the discomfort, the rest of us will enjoy our cycling more on a hybrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks lads, Disaster nice bike and CRC usually have good enough prices on Felt brand. The only issue is when you factor in extras like mudguards etc it push the price up.

Clonmahon really appreciate the indepth detail,I know we should be buying Irish during these times but came across the crowd below who have a €35 shipping charge on most bikes. Which means I could land a Metro GLX here for €320, most likely last years model. Any one come across better

www.mailorderbikes.com/m1b0s269p247/RALEIGH_Pioneer_Metro_GLX

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

cubix wrote: »
    Thanks lads, Disaster nice bike and CRC usually have good enough prices on Felt brand. The only issue is when you factor in extras like mudguards etc it push the price up.

Clonmahon really appreciate the indepth detail,I know we should be buying Irish during these times but came across the crowd below who have a €35 shipping charge on most bikes. Which means I could land a Metro GLX here for €320, most likely last years model. Any one come across better

www.mailorderbikes.com/m1b0s269p247/RALEIGH_Pioneer_Metro_GLX

I got a Felt qx 65 (I think this model anyway) and have no complaints. Got mudguards and lights and a lock all in for around the 430/440 mark if I remember. The bike itself was 399 _I think_. The shop didn't have the 2010 model they said they did, and the one left was 2011 and white (!!!) so they gave me a decent discount.

Grand bike for getting to work. Pretty solid. Mud guard isn't great as it comes loose sometimes and rubs the rear wheel but can't fault the bike.

Wheelworx in liffey valley is where I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

cubix wrote: »
    Have a carrera Fury which I was hoping to use more to get fit/lose weight. With the darker nights coming in I was thinking of getting rid of it and look more at hybrids/city bikes. While not very exciting i can pickup a Raleigh metro Lx for about €300,upside being it comes with mudguards/carrier which will be handy for the days when its not raining but the roads are wet. Halfords have the vodoo range "Marasa" €440 +€50-75 for mudguards/carrier.
    I have an ajustable stem on the Fury at the moment as it makes cycling easier on the back due to the belly:rolleyes: so not looking for anything too low or sporty just yet. Will mainly be doing road and a few park tracks with the kid . Any views/recommend's on the above.

Thanks
    I got a raleigh metro lx 2 years ago. I use it nearly every day, including putting the young fella up on the crossbar seat. Great bike. Got everything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement