Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facebook sued by Irish father over sexual photos of girl (12)

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

El Weirdo wrote: »
    To be fair, it's the British taxpayer that's footing the bill for this one.

Why the thread title then :confused:

Is he an immigrant ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

FB should be sued for this, the father of the child is correct.

FB is a hideous creation. I cannot see why so many people have taken to it with such an addiction. Posting cr4p than nobody cares about, to people who don't give a toss..

FB has a responsibility to ensure children are not exploited. So far it seems FB are dodging this responsibility, their controls are far too loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

There's no point in me arguing any further obviously.. people will as always come to their own conclusion regardless of the facts which are known. It reminds my of this case. People fully blamed the parents there too.. after a bike fell from a 14ft shelf and almost hit a two year old. Some even accuse the two year old of faking PTSD. People seem to think that corporations should be exempt from any responsibility whatsoever.
    Are you actually serious? I've had things fall near me too when I was a kid, Im sure I've even fallen a few times as a kid, ffs. the world has gone mad.
    Well you seem to have it all worked out.. you know that for a fact do you? No leap of logic there at all..

It doesnt take rocket science, or does it:rolleyes:

Gophur wrote: »

FB is a hideous creation. I cannot see why so many people have taken to it with such an addiction. Posting cr4p than nobody cares about, to people who don't give a toss..

FB has a responsibility to ensure children are not exploited. So far it seems FB are dodging this responsibility, their controls are far too loose.

Im sure theres a few people think the same of boards??
    Facebook should not be sued for someones laziness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

booboo88 wrote: »
    Are you actually serious? I've had things fall near me too when I was a kid, Im sure I've even fallen a few times as a kid, ffs. the world has gone mad.

Seriously.. you don't think the shop in that case should be blamed in any way for storing their goods unsafely and in a way which could cause serious injury? What if it had hit the kid.. would they be responsible then?
    It doesnt take rocket science, or does it:rolleyes:

Evidently not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Is no one liking your status updates or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

if I won the euromillions tonight I'd give millions to see the end of facestalker 10% use it to stay in touch the rest use it for spying/stalking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

123balltv wrote: »
    if I won the euromillions tonight I'd give millions to see the end of facestalker 10% use it to stay in touch the rest use it for spying/stalking

youd need to win about 500 euromillions rollovers to have any chance of being able to accomplish that

lets say a 12 year old signs up for boards today. they say that they're over the age of 13 in the sign up, and then they post a load of nude photos of themselves. is that boards fault? no, its not

is it boards fault if they're made aware of the pictures, but take no action to remove them immediately and report the issue to the authorities? yes, it is

the same goes for facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Why the thread title then :confused:

Is he an immigrant ?
    The guy is from Co. Antriim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Helix wrote: »
    youd need to win about 500 euromillions rollovers to have any chance of being able to accomplish that

I can dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

FFS Just because one may detest facebook and all it stands for doesnt mean the case under discussion has any merit or that the guy bringing it is anything other than an utter tool.
    El Weirdo wrote: »
    The guy is from Co. Antriim.

Hence the question :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Hence the question :pac:
    Oooooh... controversial!

:pac:

Anyone got an update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

it's up to the parents to control what their children do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Children should not have cell phones to take these pictures on.

But oh how are my going to get in touvh with my "little angels" without a phone?
    The same way you did for the entire histroy of the human race. Phones are only around at most 15 years. Kid says hes going to be at his friends house ring the friends mom to make sure or if you have a message.

Children should not be allowed on a computer in their bedroom or anywhere they are unsupervised.

This guy has no one to blame but himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

But oh how are my going to get in touvh with my "little angels" without a phone? The same way you did for the entire histroy of the human race. Phones are only around at most 15 years.

You could say the same about any invention. Why do you need an oven when humans cooked over a fire before it was invented? Why do you buy clothes when humans skinned animals and made their own? Mobile phones are incredibly handy and I'm sure there are plenty of incidents that occurred in the past that may have been prevented had they existed.

Of course there will always be negatives to anything new, but that's why people try their best to educate kids. Even then shít will still happen. So long as teenagers hit puberty, they will find ways to do stupid stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

You could say the same about any invention. Why do you need an oven when humans cooked over a fire before it was invented? Why do you buy clothes when humans skinned animals and made their own? Mobile phones are incredibly handy and I'm sure there are plenty of incidents that occurred in the past that may have been prevented had they existed.

Of course there will always be negatives to anything new, but that's why people try their best to educate kids. Even then shít will still happen. So long as teenagers hit puberty, they will find ways to do stupid stuff.
    But people arent educating their children they are just blindly handing out technology and then when something goes bad they blame the tech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

But people arent educating their children they are just blindly handing out technology and then when something goes bad they blame the tech.

A bit of a wild generalisation. You don't hear about the kids that use it sensibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

"I was able to access this girl's Facebook page myself before we issued the writ. She has more than 485 friends ... some from the western provinces of Nigeria," she revealed.

sigh, again unnecessary sensationalism with unnecessary information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

lets say a 12 year old signs up for boards today. they say that they're over the age of 13 in the sign up, and then they post a load of nude photos of themselves. is that boards fault? no, its not

is it boards fault if they're made aware of the pictures, but take no action to remove them immediately and report the issue to the authorities? yes, it is

the same goes for facebook

Fair point, but Boards is moderated and would remove the photo's next to immediately and ban the user. This didn't happen with Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

booboo88 wrote: »
    Anyone got an update on this?

LOL

http://limavady.thechronicle.uk.com/articles/news/23703/prominent-north-west-lawyer-suspended/
    Prominent North West lawyer suspended

HIGH-PROFILE lawyer Hilary Carmichael has had her legal practices, in Londonderry and Ballymoney, taken over by the Law Society of Northern Ireland this week.
    Ms Carmichael, who has been practising law for over 20 years, has had her practising certificate suspended by the regulatory body, who have now taken control of her offices.
    It remains unclear exactly why Ms Carmichael has been suspended, with a spokesperson for the Law Society only confirming Ms Carmichael has been suspended, pending the outcome of an ongoing investigation. He said: "The Law Society of Northern Ireland can confirm that it has intervened, pursuant to its statutory powers, in the practice of Hilary Carmichael.
    “Ms Carmichael's Practising Certificate has been suspended and the Society has taken control of her practice.
    “The Society will not be making any further comment until its investigations have been concluded."
    In a statement to the Press, Ms Carmichael said she will fight the suspension.
    She said: "I intend to fight this suspension with every ounce of energy I have.
    “I am a fine lawyer and I have worked tirelessly to protect the rights of the vulnerable."
    Hilary Carmichael has over 20 years experience working the Londonderry area.
    In April 1997 she established Hilary Carmichael Solicitors, based in Ebrington Terrace, Waterside, Londonderry.
    The firm gained a formidable reputation in matrimonial law and quickly became one of the leading family law firms in the area.
    The firm expanded into other areas such as crime, personal injury, property and wills/probate.
    In 2010 the firm was one of only two firms in the country which was appointed to represent victims and relatives in the Public Inquiry into the Outbreak of Clostridium Difficile in Northern Trust Hospitals.
    In recent years, the practice expanded, with the opening of a branch in Main Street, Ballymoney.
    Hilary Carmichael received much media attention recently after she took on a high profile case against social media giant Facebook.
    In the first judgement of its kind in Northern Ireland, Hilary Carmichael Solicitors obtained an interim ex-parte injunction from the High Court against Facebook. The injunction prohibits Facebook UK Ltd from republishing an indecent video made by the former partner of one of Ms Carmichael's clients.
    The case has generated significant media interest because of the important legal precedent it sets.
    Individuals who believe sensitive personal material is about to be published on Facebook or other social networking sites may now apply for an injunction restraining both the individual threatening to publish the material and the administrators of the website in question.
    Clients
    The Law Society has advised clients of Hilary Carmichael Solicitors to contact their local firm as normal.
    If any clients have any problems they should contact the Law Society thereafter, the number to ring is: 028 9023 1614.

Fair point, but Boards is moderated and would remove the photo's next to immediately and ban the user. This didn't happen with Facebook

do we actually klnow that the images were reported without the reports being acted upon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

do we actually klnow that the images were reported without the reports being acted upon?
    No, but we know the photos weren't nude. They were "sexually suggestive" according to the father. For all we know they could have been holiday snaps in a bikini ffs.

Advertisement