Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Web/Logo

Options
  • 07-09-2011 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    After being stuck with work for the past few months i haven't had much of a chance to get my website in to full motion and get some good fluidity. So i said ill come back to it and ask the guys that know good design how it looks, how it feels and what to do to improve.

Just to let you know there is an issue with speed involving google maps at the moment which i will be looking in to and hopefully resolving soon, so i would love your opinions to be based purely on design and improvement.

Web: http://crime.ie

Appreciate the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Looks pretty good. No problems with the map load times either. (i'm in the usa).

Looks like a great idea too. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cusackd

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Looks pretty good. No problems with the map load times either. (i'm in the usa).

Looks like a great idea too. Best of luck.

Got the issue with the maps resolved, thanks for the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

I'm a UI/UX designer for social media, your idea to me is great as it tackles current social, community issues which are highly relevant for communities.

It is a brilliant concept but it will be fraught with problems if and when it becomes popular. You will get the inevitable idiots and jokers putting up spam crimes. How do you intend to moderate this in the future to filter out the spam crimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cusackd

I'm a UI/UX designer for social media, your idea to me is great as it tackles current social, community issues which are highly relevant for communities.

It is a brilliant concept but it will be fraught with problems if and when it becomes popular. You will get the inevitable idiots and jokers putting up spam crimes. How do you intend to moderate this in the future to filter out the spam crimes?

Thanks for the comments on the site you should send me a pm if your interested in doing something in the future.

I had the concept of users reporting crimes for some time but i understand its main flaw, all of the information is checked before its published but the problem with idiots and jokers is one ive been thinking about for a while so i may just publish stories from people that can be verified by either garda or a reputable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

cusackd wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments on the site you should send me a pm if your interested in doing something in the future.

I had the concept of users reporting crimes for some time but i understand its main flaw, all of the information is checked before its published but the problem with idiots and jokers is one ive been thinking about for a while so i may just publish stories from people that can be verified by either garda or a reputable source.

You could use this to your advantage. You could create a +1/voting/reputation system. Users who've heard of the incident can add to it's "reputation". Word of mouth could carry a small vote, news articles would carry a heavier vote. This way you could build up info from users on each crime. People who get info on a crime can recieve reputation for their work etc etc You see what I'm getting at?

Nice site btw. You should really compress your css and js at build (phing is your friend). That css looks like dev css to me (and soo neat..I like) Save some load time too ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement