Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Laptop. Sound stopped working :(

Options
  • 07-09-2011 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey. The other day I tried to watch something online and my sound wouldnt work. I tried using headphones and it wouldnt work with them either. I have tried to do a system restore but it keeps saying there is an error and to try a different restore point, which i have done, but none of them work. The Realtek driver is up to date and everything like that. It is saying that there is no driver present for the system speaker, u dunno if there should be one or whatever. It seems that anything I try to do to fix the problem wont actually work. Things like MS Office, MSN and Windows Live Mail, stuff like that are as if they werent installed. HELP!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭themonic

It looks like sound chipset fault. What model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alisonxx

its a g54 105sa... is that easily fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭themonic

If audio codec is broken (can be in your laptop), then need to be replaced. This is not PnP part and it's soldered on systemboard. This job need experience with smd soldering. Obviously before this action, mainboard should be diagnosed.
    I can't find "g54 105sa" model, can you confirm model number? I am asking because in some models other parts can cause this fault. However it's still mainboard fault.
    You can buy external USB sound card, will be cheaper than repair but you will have no speakers, only headphones (unless external speakers).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alisonxx

sorry the model is G56. can you think of anything that could explain certain programs being magically uninstalled? I forgot to mention that the day before i noticed this my friend had downloaded Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 onto his ex harddrive and put it on my laptop (aswell as some other anti virus stuff) and when he copied the files and tried set up it kept failing. I dunno if that would have had any effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I;m thinking it might be time to backup your files and do a complete wipe and reinstall of your operating system. If you can get retail discs instead or reinstalling from a factory image you won't get any horrible bloatware on the install. You also need to update a lot of files on windows update after the install, load up anti virus, hit HP for any missing drivers and don't copy stuff from anyone elses laptop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Hi Alison,
    Even if your Realtek driver is showing as up to date, I would definitely recommend re-installing the driver before you do a complete wipe & re-install.

Sometimes installing other applications can alter registry settings which might affect your sound. Re-installing the driver will reset these settings, and may restore your sound.

Can you confirm the model no again? By any chance is it a G62-105SA?

dilallio

Advertisement