Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying Oil To Oily/Combination skin???

• 07-09-2011 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey all, :)

a little background information; I'm a 17yo male, I don't have very oily skin per sé, just typical teenage skin, a little on the oily side, but VERY acne & breakout prone. Like, I dont suffer from breakouts, they dont happen every once in a while and clear, my skin is constantly bad.

& I know, you should never pick at marks, / spots, but I do it all the time, to a huge level and I know it just makes everything so much worse, so Im trying very hard to stop.

My current regular skincare regime is: washing, exfoliating and moisturising every morning and evening with Clinique products. (Also use benzoyl peroxide 5% in the evening only, before moisturising)

I only started using this regime in the last few week and havent really noticed much of a chage at all......

I came across this product, in town today: http://swissclinique.com/p-20-golden-magic.aspx

It seemed great so I bought it, but, it's an oil.

All my regime at the moment is geared at ridding excess oils, would I be taking backward steps by using this?

Any advice at all on this product, on what I do in general, and any recommendations at all on what to do would be great, I really am at my wits end, and I start college in 9days, and would love to see some imrovement before then, thanks so much. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Ok, so firstly, do not use this oil. You want to limit the oil on your face and balance out the PH but by applying oil it will ruin your skin. You should be washing(cleansing) and moisturising twice a day but only exfoliating once, maybe twice a week if your skin needs the extra boost. Exfoliating your skin everyday is just too much and is probably dehydrating your skin too. You should also try the usual tricks like drinking lots of water, 3-4pints a day and lots of fruit and veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Gee_G wrote: »
    Ok, so firstly, do not use this oil. You want to limit the oil on your face and balance out the PH but by applying oil it will ruin your skin.

:confused: Eh, I disagree, using oil as a cleanser is extremely effective for oily or acne prone skin, and will not upset its ph balance! What does upset the ph balance of your skin is using harsh chemicals which strip it bare of all essential sebum and force the body to produce even more.

OP, you say your regime is geared towards ridding excess oils, but really you are creating even more. Kick the benzoyl peroxide habit, it will do nothing but dry your skin out. Its an acid and extremely drying, and you skin will only produce more oils to help it recover. If your skin is as prone to acne breakouts as you say it is, then you should not use any products that are highly perfumed or chemical filled, they too will irritate the skin and cause it to produce more sebum. Stop using exfoliators, or at least cut back to once a week. Think about it-you're scrubbing away at already inflamed and irritated skin.

Check out the oil cleansing method. Its based on different combinations of virgin olive oil and castor oil, which is extremely good for the skin. Tea tree and Jojoba oils are also excellent for problem skin, and tea tree has the added benefit of being naturaly antibacterial and reduces inflammation. It might not be for you, but I know several people who do use it, and it has worked for them.

I have never heard of this oil cleansing method, never. I am a fully Qualified Beauty Therapist and trained with about 10 different professional skincare ranges and I have never come across it! Oil onto Oily skin? Dunno! Also, you have to exfoliate, otherwise, it doesnt matter what your putting on your skin as its not penetrating only into dead skin! They do not have to be scrubs, you can get lots of gentle exfoliants that can even be used on hyper-sensitive skins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Gee_G wrote: »
    I have never heard of this oil cleansing method, never. I am a fully Qualified Beauty Therapist and trained with about 10 different professional skincare ranges and I have never come across it! Oil onto Oily skin? Dunno! Also, you have to exfoliate, otherwise, it doesnt matter what your putting on your skin as its not penetrating only into dead skin! They do not have to be scrubs, you can get lots of gentle exfoliants that can even be used on hyper-sensitive skins!

Really? Funny that, it was a Dermatologist who recommended it to my sister for her acne. There are a huge amount of oil or oil based cleansers on the market, Dermalogica Precleanse, Eve Lom Cleanser, Shu Uemura Cleansing oil, Lancome, Shiseido, Bobby Brown, Clarins, Mac, Kiehl's, Laura Mercier, Decleor(my beautician uses only Decleor products)......

Certain oils penetrate the skin, castor oil is particullarly effective as an exfoliator-it contains naturally occuring Ricinoleic acid, which is an an anti inflammatory and analgesic, and Stearic acid, which is an surfactant and softening agent(or exfoliant) but is infinitely more gentle than a harsh scrub. Jojoba oil has anti-fungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial properties and is very easily absorbed by the outer skin making it an ideal moisturiser.

The ancient Greeks used oil to cleanse their bodies, as did the Romans, and in the Far East using oil as a face and body cleanser is very popular, so its hardly a new thing.

Ya learn something new everyday :D Just had read of that link you put up on the oil cleansing..tis interesting!

• Advertisement
Advertisement