Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Ryan , please come back.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

What other names have been proposed or even mentioned with regard to the Limerick Intermediate Job, I mean its not exactly a high profile post, I would have thought that someone of Ryan's standing would have been more than acceptable, does anyone know who the boards prefered choice is or is it simply a case of anyone bar Tom Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 podgec20

Any update on Tom Ryan/intermidate position situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

podgec20 wrote: »
    Any update on Tom Ryan/intermidate position situation?

A proposal was introduced at the adjourned meeting that Don Flynn be manager and that he would include Tom Ryan as a selector, this was also rejected by the board, followed by another heated debate and the debacle is no where nearer resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Was listening to the Sporting Limerick podcast today, Liam Aherne raised a point I made during the week, wondering why it took this issue for club delegates to stand up..... why is it an intermediate management thing that's being questioned rather than wondering what went on at senior level.

Sounds farcical anyway.

A proposal was introduced at the adjourned meeting that Don Flynn be manager and that he would include Tom Ryan as a selector, this was also rejected by the board, followed by another heated debate and the debacle is no where nearer resolution.

Any excuse not to give him the job so!! Anyone remember what kind of player Don Flynn was at senior level, as far as I know he was on the minor and U-21 teams in the 80s but dont remember hearing of him playing much for seniors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

They were being fcuked into an oil rig inside in that dressing room and the roaring and the fcuking and the abuse after matches and training was unbelievable.We worked it out between ourselves there and then.When and where the players fcuked up they were told.There was no need for videos or anything the video was in everyones heads.Here are Toms thoughts on rugby!:pac:

the only program that rugby isnt mentioned on is the angelus of the death notices"
    "munster is an artificial team with money being used from the government given to the IRFU whilst hopsital wards are being closed"
    " i was in kildimo on sunday and there is a big banner outside the church,,,,,and the crowd there wouldnt know if the ball was pumped or stuffed"

our schools wouldnt leave a hurley inside the gate ,they'd consider it an offensive weapon, they dont care about our culture either, .. its the same as this radio station, when did ye last play any irish song, this is a foreign ould station really"
    " limerick city is anti - gaa, its a garrison town, that goes back to the british, GAA wouldnt be yuppy enough for them"

" the IRFU begrudge the anthem, ye have another ould song made up"
    "all rugby means to limerick is that it supports the pubs, its just a big drinking session, they're at it for 2 days out as far as north tipperary"

"who are you trying to cod, munster are playing teams from england and france who dont want to play in the heineken cup, the ospreys wouldnt beat the sisters of mercy, you said it yourself, a team of donkeys in the quarter finals, this heineken cup is just an irish drinking thing"

"where did these people come out of 26,000 there to see connacht? under normal circumstances you wouldnt have 100"
    " our colleges in the city are run by religous orders with their west brit accents, these are the facts of the situation"

Tom Ryan!:pac:

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Timber Tom is back!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Timber Tom is back!:pac:
    He is reinstated?what happened?

He is reinstated?what happened?

Tom and his selectors were voted in but Tom will not be officially recognised as manager.It's being put forward as a compromise management team of Tom and his 4 other selectors.

• Advertisement

Tom and his selectors were voted in but Tom will not be officially recognised as manager.It's being put forward as a compromise management team of Tom and his 4 other selectors.

Oh lord...they won't put him as offical .
    What a mess.He is either in our out.

This fiasco makes cork look like angels.

Oh lord...they won't put him as offical .
    What a mess.He is either in our out.

This fiasco makes cork look like angels.

Sure in 1984 the Cork county board did the same with Justin McCarthy where his official title was joint manager with Cannon O'Brien even though Justin was the main man in charge that year!Of course the Cannon showed in time that he was a fine manager but in 1984 he stepped back and let Justin call the shots.Frank just didn't want Justin to be known as the actual manager of the team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

They were being fcuked into an oil rig inside in that dressing room and the roaring and the fcuking and the abuse after matches and training was unbelievable.We worked it out between ourselves there and then.When and where the players fcuked up they were told.There was no need for videos or anything the video was in everyones heads.Here are Toms thoughts on rugby!:pac:

the only program that rugby isnt mentioned on is the angelus of the death notices"
    "munster is an artificial team with money being used from the government given to the IRFU whilst hopsital wards are being closed"
    " i was in kildimo on sunday and there is a big banner outside the church,,,,,and the crowd there wouldnt know if the ball was pumped or stuffed"

our schools wouldnt leave a hurley inside the gate ,they'd consider it an offensive weapon, they dont care about our culture either, .. its the same as this radio station, when did ye last play any irish song, this is a foreign ould station really"
    " limerick city is anti - gaa, its a garrison town, that goes back to the british, GAA wouldnt be yuppy enough for them"

" the IRFU begrudge the anthem, ye have another ould song made up"
    "all rugby means to limerick is that it supports the pubs, its just a big drinking session, they're at it for 2 days out as far as north tipperary"

"who are you trying to cod, munster are playing teams from england and france who dont want to play in the heineken cup, the ospreys wouldnt beat the sisters of mercy, you said it yourself, a team of donkeys in the quarter finals, this heineken cup is just an irish drinking thing"

"where did these people come out of 26,000 there to see connacht? under normal circumstances you wouldnt have 100"
    " our colleges in the city are run by religous orders with their west brit accents, these are the facts of the situation"

Tom Ryan!:pac:

This is the funniest post I've ever read on boards.ie
    Only Tom could have put it this way.:)
    Even beats the John Flavin story.
    Was this a recent interview he gave to a Limerick paper or radio station.?
    And to be honest a lot of what he said is true, maybe a little over the top, but true.

washman3 wrote: »
    This is the funniest post I've ever read on boards.ie
    Only Tom could have put it this way.:)
    Even beats the John Flavin story.
    Was this a recent interview he gave to a Limerick paper or radio station.?
    And to be honest a lot of what he said is true, maybe a little over the top, but true.

It was when he was on 95fm a few years ago!

Here is the John Flavin story again for those that missed it first time.:pac:

We were down two backs from 1994 we had lost Ger Hegarty to injury and Joe O'Connor retired.John Flavin was like John Roche he had been in the camp for over a year and was being brought along gradually.He was going through what you would call our academy and he was ready.Before the championship he broke his leg.A disaster.He was never the same player after that.He was coming in 1995 and was a contender at wing back a year ahead of Mark Foley.But i was testing guys for a weakness again showing the intensity and pressure of the selection process that players were being put through.Flavin had a weakness which was the fact that he decided to go away and play junior football a fortnight before the championship.

He broke his leg behind in Athea.That put a question mark over him.Had he the mentality,the mental strength that you need to say no fcuk off im not playing football.I have my place on the Limerick team for the championship.You need that as well the missing ingredient in his case.

The fact that Flavin never came through would have been my biggest dissapointment as Limerick manager.But the reason he never came through was his own fault.He went off playing junior fcuking B football with the club.He was a very good nice fella like and then your man came looking for him.Davey whatever the fcuk his name is.The secretary or chairman of Monagea,a small fella with a cap.He was a b****x anyway whatever his name was and he took him away to the football.He collected him and took him away and there was two years work gone down the drain.

Sure in 1984 the Cork county board did the same with Justin McCarthy where his official title was joint manager with Cannon O'Brien even though Justin was the main man in charge that year!Of course the Cannon showed in time that he was a fine manager but in 1984 he stepped back and let Justin call the shots.Frank just didn't want Justin to be known as the actual manager of the team!
    Absoultey and the CCB to this day are still same old ,same old,you can be a great manager,but if the face doesnt fit you wont get any job yet you can have been at a post for 3 years ,failed miserably yet get promoted.

• Advertisement

Absoultey and the CCB to this day are still same old ,same old,you can be a great manager,but if the face doesnt fit you wont get any job yet you can have been at a post for 3 years ,failed miserably yet get promoted.

Just like the man that was put in charge of the u21 team for next year.

Just like the man that was put in charge of the u21 team for next year.

Thats the man I was referring to.I heard he is a cert for the senior job when jbm goes whenever,and he wants it make no mistake.

Youghal have a fine coach in peter coady ,with UCC this year also with Eddie enright a top top coach.

Thats the man I was referring to.I heard he is a cert for the senior job when jbm goes whenever,and he wants it make no mistake.

I don't think that will happen.There will be all out war if it does!

I don't think will happen.There will be all out war if it does!

It never stopped them before and their is no more wars thank god.The clubs lost their golden oppurtinty in the last strike.
    Their wasnt a whisper when he got the u21 job,no questions,no former players spoke out,no one in the cork media questioned it.

He got the intermediate,minor,offered the minor,but refused it wanted the u21.
    Was on the radio as an expert doing county final kanturk v eire og.

Bob ryan said in august the minor this year was the best prepared team he ever saw.
    All the boxes are being ticked for him.Waterford winning the all ireland makes them think we were the second best team in ireland.We were woeful in that game im sad to say.He will get their vote.

If cork fail,he wont be heard of ,yet in the lead up he will be on the radio,and in the newspapers saying,all bleep tests,agilty tests,you name it,baffle us with science are the best ever for a cork team,yet he will pick the wrong players and those he pick will play out of poisition.

• Advertisement

It's all been a bit of a mess, I really don't know why there's been so much bother over it tbqh. Sometimes I wonder what people really want for this county, it's ridiculous.

As for the solution, it sounds ridiculous, but it's just a name... it doesn't really mean anything. As far as I can see, Tom Ryan is manager of the intermediates. Whether he's called that or not, who really gives a fcuk tbh.

Lads, if we don't win the All-Ireland next year........ the actual future of Limerick hurling looks pretty good- there is good work going on at underage level, a Munster-winning minor team, a good crop of U-21s, a young senior team, a club side who have won 2 Munster titles in 3 years. Our own first Munster title in 17 years.... a realistic-ish chance of winning an AI in the next few years, if everything goes well and we get a bit of luck.

Yet the infighting and politics and all this shít has started up badly again. If that costs us, I will be fuming... some of the people involved need to cop on and think about what's actual important.

An almighty mess within Limerick .....it should never have happened.
    Too many Egos in both parties it seems.

I think its a dissaster ,and it will end in tears.Yes ,Ryan will take the main role but it ain't good for morale or the spirit of the Intermediate team ,when publicly they cant have their manager named formally.

Who gives interviews ,deals with the media,they toss a coin.
    It is bit like having a girlfriend but your afraid to take her out in public,if anyone asks where just good friends.Sooner or later crack appear.

Im no fan of Ryan managerial skills but if he manager then ,you give it to him offical and dont bo**ox around the issue.This must be the first set up in intercounty management where five men are apparently equal(is it five,i have lost count)..It hardly will work.The dynamics and trust is clearly not their between board and ryan.

Players are stuck in the middle.Their is huge pressure and unncessary media and public spot light on next years team,and normally ,only a minority within a county know when the intermediates play,next year most of the hurling world will be glued to this team next year.

If they loose next year,huge pressure is on Ryan ,and that creates huge pressure on the U21 team also.

Logic should have been used,but it was never used here.If limerick wanted him badly then let him take one job.But two is just unbelievable.Cork I thought were the masters of inhouse poltics,and awful management choices at all grades,but we have company now.

The board, once the decision was made shouldnt have tried to get ryan leave(even though it would have benfited limerick),the clubs as clubs should had a right to have an input in it.

What begs belief is that with hes record (munster finals only) and he's record of controversy and hes absence from the game , and hes old schools methods and views in a clearly modern game ,he gets two jobs.Hes talk of just helping Ciaran Carey ,is hard to believe.
    He has to be the main man wherever he goes and has proved it is hes way or no way when hes ways clearly are limitded and outdated.It could be a long long night against clare at u21,, where the tactic will be long ball after ball down on a clare half back line that will drop midfielers back,and then play a possesion game.

Clare like the seniors will play with speed,and movement.Ryans style is slow,methodical ,one dimenshoal.I can't see carey having any other style with ryan involved.

The game is now very much forensic in terms of thought,science,preparation and tactics.
    He wont embrace new ways ,and it will be the 1973 way ,old style physicality game.He won't mix and match it.

I agree Limerick have a wonderful set up at minor.
    And at schools its top top class.Likes of moran,cregan,jerry wallis good , are modern day coaches.

Like cork unfortunately while at some levels ,its is a dream set up,all that work could be undone by a nightmare set up at intermeidate and u21.

Carey I would love to see do well but I dont think he is the main man,ryan will want control.

The senior set up promised so much with Ger cunnigham ,that ye really could have had a top top,young coach that would have stayed with ye for a while,but he is the one that got away.

O grady is a top coach,but again their is questions marks over the dynamic with him and tj ryan ,in that who is the real boss,and will the same energy and momentum be their as two years ago .If they hadnt left two years ago ,they would have done great.
    It remains to be seen can they recover that.And no team can serve two masters.For any chance to win,O grady must be main man,if he takes a back seat a lot of pressure on tj,.

The limerick county board didn't seem they wanted O grady,then treated Cunninghan awfully ,and then had to get o grady again.

If that set up fails ,they will never get cunningham again,where
    do they go next?

.With ryan involved in the U21 and intermediates,they bar Carey are not giving young limerick managers a chance,and by their events within the last month, it is hardly a great temptation for outside men down the line to join the set up

I would say their is massive potential and huge talent in Limerick,but what has unfolded the last month has added a great uncertainty in to limericks future ,and I would say very much like cork ,the overall state is a mixed bag rather than a picture of health,which is sad as their is so much talent in both counties and a real love for hurling in both counties.

Their was plenty of other managers within limerick ,sean stack,shane fitzgibbon,tony considine that could have got the u21 or intermediate job.Their won't be short of drama,and like us,getting more headlines in hurling for off the field rather than on it,in recent times.

Jbm has changed that the last year thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Joke. County board knew they would lose a vote on Ryan if it was put to the clubs, so this was their last ditch bid to save face, a proposal that they could call their proposal, without Ryan in sole charge.

Clubs should be putting a vote of no confidence in the board after this and the senior management debacle. As if two joint managers wasn't bad enough, they come along and pick 5 joint managers (or no manager depending on how you look at it), a farce. Fawlty Towers stuff.

All this bollixing by the board has taken the gloss off our best year since the 90's. The county board somehow conspired to send us into 2014 as a bit of a laughing stock.

An almighty mess within Limerick .....it should never have happened.
    Too many Egos in both parties it seems.

I think its a dissaster ,and it will end in tears.Yes ,Ryan will take the main role but it ain't good for morale or the spirit of the Intermediate team ,when publicly they cant have their manager named formally.

Who gives interviews ,deals with the media,they toss a coin.
    It is bit like having a girlfriend but your afraid to take her out in public,if anyone asks where just good friends.Sooner or later crack appear.

Im no fan of Ryan managerial skills but if he manager then ,you give it to him offical and dont bo**ox around the issue.This must be the first set up in intercounty management where five men are apparently equal(is it five,i have lost count)..It hardly will work.The dynamics and trust is clearly not their between board and ryan.

Players are stuck in the middle.Their is huge pressure and unncessary media and public spot light on next years team,and normally ,only a minority within a county know when the intermediates play,next year most of the hurling world will be glued to this team next year.

If they loose next year,huge pressure is on Ryan ,and that creates huge pressure on the U21 team also.

Logic should have been used,but it was never used here.If limerick wanted him badly then let him take one job.But two is just unbelievable.Cork I thought were the masters of inhouse poltics,and awful management choices at all grades,but we have company now.

The board, once the decision was made shouldnt have tried to get ryan leave(even though it would have benfited limerick),the clubs as clubs should had a right to have an input in it.

What begs belief is that with hes record (munster finals only) and he's record of controversy and hes absence from the game , and hes old schools methods and views in a clearly modern game ,he gets two jobs.Hes talk of just helping Ciaran Carey ,is hard to believe.
    He has to be the main man wherever he goes and has proved it is hes way or no way when hes ways clearly are limitded and outdated.It could be a long long night against clare at u21,, where the tactic will be long ball after ball down on a clare half back line that will drop midfielers back,and then play a possesion game.

Clare like the seniors will play with speed,and movement.Ryans style is slow,methodical ,one dimenshoal.I can't see carey having any other style with ryan involved.

The game is now very much forensic in terms of thought,science,preparation and tactics.
    He wont embrace new ways ,and it will be the 1973 way ,old style physicality game.He won't mix and match it.

I agree Limerick have a wonderful set up at minor.
    And at schools its top top class.Likes of moran,cregan,jerry wallis good , are modern day coaches.

Like cork unfortunately while at some levels ,its is a dream set up,all that work could be undone by a nightmare set up at intermeidate and u21.

Carey I would love to see do well but I dont think he is the main man,ryan will want control.

The senior set up promised so much with Ger cunnigham ,that ye really could have had a top top,young coach that would have stayed with ye for a while,but he is the one that got away.

O grady is a top coach,but again their is questions marks over the dynamic with him and tj ryan ,in that who is the real boss,and will the same energy and momentum be their as two years ago .If they hadnt left two years ago ,they would have done great.
    It remains to be seen can they recover that.And no team can serve two masters.For any chance to win,O grady must be main man,if he takes a back seat a lot of pressure on tj,.

The limerick county board didn't seem they wanted O grady,then treated Cunninghan awfully ,and then had to get o grady again.

If that set up fails ,they will never get cunningham again,where
    do they go next?

.With ryan involved in the U21 and intermediates,they bar Carey are not giving young limerick managers a chance,and by their events within the last month, it is hardly a great temptation for outside men down the line to join the set up

I would say their is massive potential and huge talent in Limerick,but what has unfolded the last month has added a great uncertainty in to limericks future ,and I would say very much like cork ,the overall state is a mixed bag rather than a picture of health,which is sad as their is so much talent in both counties and a real love for hurling in both counties.

Their was plenty of other managers within limerick ,sean stack,shane fitzgibbon,tony considine that could have got the u21 or intermediate job.Their won't be short of drama,and like us,getting more headlines in hurling for off the field rather than on it,in recent times.

Jbm has changed that the last year thank god.

About those bit's in bold.When he was managing Limerick in the 90's Tom had Dave Mahedy doing the physical training which was revolutionary at the time and it was a hammering by a Tom Ryan managed team that made JBM realise how far Cork had slipped back in the pecking order.He was a manager that delegated responsibility to different people and he had Charlie Hanley to deal with the media and off field distractions in his role as liaison officer.This is an intermediate team and i think a man of Toms ability and passion for Limerick hurling is more than capable of doing the job.It's not so much about results it's more about trying to find some rough diamonds,polish them up and get them ready for senior level.Oh and do you seriously think Ciaran Carey would put up with Tom as a selector with the u21's if he thought he was going to take over the whole show!

About those bit's in bold.When he was managing Limerick in the 90's Tom had Dave Mahedy doing the physical training which was revolutionary at the time and it was a hammering by a Tom Ryan managed team that made JBM realise how far Cork had slipped back in the pecking order.He was a manager that delegated responsibility to different people and he had Charlie Hanley to deal with the media and off field distractions in his role as liaison officer.This is an intermediate team and i think a man of Toms ability and passion for Limerick hurling is more than capable of doing the job.It's not so much about results it's more about trying to find some rough diamonds,polish them up and get them ready for senior level.Oh and do you seriously think Ciaran Carey would put up with Tom as a selector with the u21's if he thought he was going to take over the whole show!

Ah here...jbm first game in chare with an old cork team.I woulnt be saying cork fans owe tom for that.Jbm would have started the evoloution anyway.

I never criticised the training fitness wise and dave mahedy was excellent ,involved with munster ruby and is a top top man,superb as the head of Ul.

I said tactics.Will tom ryan play a short mixed game against Clare?

He is,as shown by hes disgraceful insults to the limerick rubgy fans when most of them are gaa fans that munster are an artifical set up,that he is old fashioned.I love the gaa but gone are the days when it monloplises irish sport.

Theirs the majiority of irish men with them.Take yesterday ,all bar one yesterday starting was irish and again they gave munster and limerick real pride heading in to xmas with a win against all the odds and only the third team in h cup to beat perpingan at home.

There is no way I can see Carey letting Tom Ryan take over at 21 level..... Carey is a very strong-willed character and this is real big chance in terms of a Limerick job.

He wants to be Limerick manager one day... he was being lined up for it before, but now TJ has got it. If Carey does well with the 21s, he may get the big job one day... he'll definitely be calling the shots, no doubt about that.

Personally, I'm unconvinced about his ability as a coach... no doubting he was a super, super player, probably the best I've seen play for Limerick. But as a coach... he seems a little unpredictable... does he have the tactical nous and man-management skills necessary? I'm not quite sure, but this is his chance to show what he can do... talented bunch of 21s, some of the minor team from this year, few senior panelists (Dowling, Reidy, Carmody + the likes of Morrissey, O'Connell, Barry Lynch). It will be a big contest in Munster this year, with Clare and Waterford likely to be very strong.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    There is no way I can see Carey letting Tom Ryan take over at 21 level..... Carey is a very strong-willed character and this is real big chance in terms of a Limerick job.

He wants to be Limerick manager one day... he was being lined up for it before, but now TJ has got it. If Carey does well with the 21s, he may get the big job one day... he'll definitely be calling the shots, no doubt about that.

Personally, I'm unconvinced about his ability as a coach... no doubting he was a super, super player, probably the best I've seen play for Limerick. But as a coach... he seems a little unpredictable... does he have the tactical nous and man-management skills necessary? I'm not quite sure, but this is his chance to show what he can do... talented bunch of 21s, some of the minor team from this year, few senior panelists (Dowling, Reidy, Carmody + the likes of Morrissey, O'Connell, Barry Lynch). It will be a big contest in Munster this year, with Clare and Waterford likely to be very strong.
    But carey was always a big fan as ryan had and correctly treated him well.Ryan ,if anyone thinks is just in their to carry bags off the bus and hand out water bottles , are very much mistaken.

He was serveral times by those within newtownshandrum and by leading players questioned with the game he tried to impose on a team light on their feet and simply had not the bulk to play hes game,he blatantly ignored what a blind man could see.

Ger cunnigham of ul was with him.A top ,top manager,would have certainly not agreed with he's views ,as within a year ,of ryan getting the door,newtown with ger,changed to the style they knew and won the all ireland.

Ryan,has showed with hes outspoken views he is very much ,stuck to hes ways.It is likely limerick will be entirely predictable against clare.

You have valid points with careys tactial nous,but ryan wont improve that,in big games he has lost more than he has ever won.

Its intriguing to see on the Munster Rubgy thread how fans are much more clinical,and ruthless when juding Mannix and Penney even though they have qualifed more or less for the q finals again,that some and rightfully so have reserverations whether those coaches are the men to take them forward in winning h cups,and not pro 12s.

That even when they have reached the q finals,14 out of 15 season.The reason is and rightfully,Munster board and fans dont celebrate getting to a q final,as they treat it as a minimum acceptance ,transisiton or not ,every munster team must get out of their group,as it helps ,with and keeps their seeding as top seeds in Europe.

When they dont win ,both fans and board are universal in asking questions ,why are they not winning,and they face huge fianicial challenges with top french clubs etc,that their hurling team doesnt have to compete with,no buying in players etc.

Most gaa fans in limerick are rubgy fans and their has always been a crossover,with both sports,Mahedy involved with both,Moran the same,even two limerick minor panel hurlers have played both,and one is so good he could be ireland youths.

Munster are like limerick,in limerick won 73,,munster beat all blacks,but they like limerick in the 80 and 90 had unsuccesful times,Munster had not won the Inter pro(big prize)at time for years,ulster had.Munster though ,decided to change that legacy and with the Munster clubs,garryowen,cork con ,shannon,young munster changed all that,and gave the province a platform to build ,which they have not looked back.

Limerick u21 with cork man dave keane won. 3 u2 in a row ,but failed to build on it.But now with Ard scoil,and the minors ,the last few years ,and this year have the platform to build again.

But unlike Munster with an excellent CEO IN. Garrett Fitzgeard ,the board give their team every chance and will be ruthless if needs be.They still may not extend penneys contract,as they may just view it as what he done,is the least expected as a munster coach.

Limerick hurling,and tom ryan,so fast to look down hes nose on a truly wonderful oranigisition,in fact should try and replicate some of what they do ,and Paul o Connells desire to never settle for mediocracy ,they would learn a lot.

When they win a pro 12 ,its celebrated,but never taken out of context.It is what it is,a stepping stone.The Munster hurling championship the same,celebrate it,but dont do what happened this year and take it more than what it is.All irelands are what your judged by.

But carey was always a big fan as ryan had and correctly treated him well.Ryan ,if anyone thinks is just in their to carry bags off the bus and hand out water bottles , are very much mistaken.

He was serveral times by those within newtownshandrum and by leading players questioned with the game he tried to impose on a team light on their feet and simply had not the bulk to play hes game,he blatantly ignored what a blind man could see.

Ger cunnigham of ul was with him.A top ,top manager,would have certainly not agreed with he's views ,as within a year ,of ryan getting the door,newtown with ger,changed to the style they knew and won the all ireland.

Ryan,has showed with hes outspoken views he is very much ,stuck to hes ways.It is likely limerick will be entirely predictable against clare.

You have valid points with careys tactial nous,but ryan wont improve that,in big games he has lost more than he has ever won.

Its intriguing to see on the Munster Rubgy thread how fans are much more clinical,and ruthless when juding Mannix and Penney even though they have qualifed more or less for the q finals again,that some and rightfully so have reserverations whether those coaches are the men to take them forward in winning h cups,and not pro 12s.

That even when they have reached the q finals,14 out of 15 season.The reason is and rightfully,Munster board and fans dont celebrate getting to a q final,as they treat it as a minimum acceptance ,transisiton or not ,every munster team must get out of their group,as it helps ,with and keeps their seeding as top seeds in Europe.

When they dont win ,both fans and board are universal in asking questions ,why are they not winning,and they face huge fianicial challenges with top french clubs etc,that their hurling team doesnt have to compete with,no buying in players etc.

Most gaa fans in limerick are rubgy fans and their has always been a crossover,with both sports,Mahedy involved with both,Moran the same,even two limerick minor panel hurlers have played both,and one is so good he could be ireland youths.

Munster are like limerick,in limerick won 73,,munster beat all blacks,but they like limerick in the 80 and 90 had unsuccesful times,Munster had not won the Inter pro(big prize)at time for years,ulster had.Munster though ,decided to change that legacy and with the Munster clubs,garryowen,cork con ,shannon,young munster changed all that,and gave the province a platform to build ,which they have not looked back.

Limerick u21 with cork man dave keane won. 3 u2 in a row ,but failed to build on it.But now with Ard scoil,and the minors ,the last few years ,and this year have the platform to build again.

But unlike Munster with an excellent CEO IN. Garrett Fitzgeard ,the board give their team every chance and will be ruthless if needs be.They still may not extend penneys contract,as they may just view it as what he done,is the least expected as a munster coach.

Limerick hurling,and tom ryan,so fast to look down hes nose on a truly wonderful oranigisition,in fact should try and replicate some of what they do ,and Paul o Connells desire to never settle for mediocracy ,they would learn a lot.

When they win a pro 12 ,its celebrated,but never taken out of context.It is what it is,a stepping stone.The Munster hurling championship the same,celebrate it,but dont do what happened this year and take it more than what it is.All irelands are what your judged by.

That's right Tom isn't there to carry the bags off the bus.He is a man of immense stature in Limerick hurling circles and a passionate Limerick hurling man.He is there to provide his expertise and advice to Ciaran Carey.You could swear that Ciaran is being forced to have Tom as a selector with the way you're going on!

That's right Tom isn't there to carry the bags off the bus.He is a man of immense stature in Limerick hurling circles and a passionate Limerick hurling man.He is there to provide his expertise and advice to Ciaran Carey.You could swear that Ciaran is being forced to have Tom as a selector with the way you're going on!
    Fair enough you are fan of tom ryan.
    But he is not a messiah.
    But you question,criticism of Ryan as you say he is a man of immense stature in limerick but he critizes Munster where their is heroes,that you repeatedly choose to ignore ,when I mention it,that brought the county to stand still in 2008 and 2006 and always bring pride and honour to the their county,province etc.

Ryan is well able to criticise ,fair enough,but surely he can take the same and the ones he does like jbm ,who you mentioned earlier and munster have achieved success he never has in winning the ultimate goals.

Your hero,critcised jbm,and said he was past intercounty management and should resign.He criticised O grady ,by saying ,the hurling game in america was a stupid game ,yet O grady and cusack two real heroes of you and me ,he insulted their intelligence.

When he has harrowed what jbm and o grady have ploughed,actually won an all ireland at any level then,you tend to listen more when he speaks.

Alan quinlan heavily criticised Munsters performance yesterday.He hailed the character,spirit,and spirit but said they must sort out their style of play as the coach plays a game akin to their talent available and they can be much better.That munster coach,is highely regarded in New zealand,where if you earn praise ,you must have earned it.

It is testement to quinlan and other fans and players that have questioned the manager,as they dont judge him whats he done in the past,it is what he does at munster is what counts.He knew munster were poor at times,and even in the emotion of the win,was honest to say they were poor.Would paul o connell be offended ,by quinny.No not one bit,as Paul would admit it himself they were poor.
    In fact he would be more offended ,if he wasnt truthful and honesty.
    That honesty makes Munster.

Chris an cullen the greatest full back ever to play the game,hes time at munster is criticised.Munster fans are not taking away from him and its not personal,but reputations mean nothing.It is what you do with their team,they judge you.

With the hurling,their is a different mentality ,they dont apply the same traits.The hurlers this year,it could be seen as clear as day had weak aeras in the team.Yet a win,and nobody questioned the performance which you I believe even said,struggled to beat a 14 man cork team.

Judge cause a manager is passionate does not mean he cant be criticised.

Your a superb poster,with a great knowledge of cork gaa,you apprieciate our great Brian Cococran in 2004,, criticised the training of running up hills in macroom with the cork footballers and the wisdom of it ,compared to the training he had done with the superb ted owens in the hurling.

Larry Tompkins was a great great player,servant and captain to cork,but he had hes faults and cococoran was honest enough to say them.Noel o leary ,and rightfully so,you as a cork man will admit ,said the 2003 u21 football team ,cork beaten by clare,then waterford in 03, was the worst management set up he had been involved with,as in terms of poor training,locations for training,and team morale etc.

One of our greatest players that won everything as a player,anthony davis wasnt immune as the coach to critisim .
    He was being judged soley as a coach.Nothing more,nothing less.

But he is not a messiah.
    But you question,criticism of Ryan as you say he is a man of immense stature in limerick but he critizes Munster where their is heroes,that you repeatedly choose to ignore ,when I mention it,that brought the county to stand still in 2008 and 2006 and always bring pride and honour to the their county,province etc.

Ryan is well able to criticise ,fair enough,but surely he can take the same and the ones he does like jbm ,who you mentioned earlier and munster have achieved success he never has in winning the ultimate goals.

Your hero,critcised jbm,and said he was past intercounty management and should resign.He criticised O grady ,by saying ,the hurling game in america was a stupid game ,yet O grady and cusack two real heroes of you and me ,he insulted their intelligence.

When he has harrowed what jbm and o grady have ploughed,actually won an all ireland at any level then,you tend to listen more when he speaks.

Alan quinlan heavily criticised Munsters performance yesterday.He hailed the character,spirit,and spirit but said they must sort out their style of play as the coach plays a game akin to their talent available and they can be much better.That munster coach,is highely regarded in New zealand,where if you earn praise ,you must have earned it.

It is testement to quinlan and other fans and players that have questioned the manager,as they dont judge him whats he done in the past,it is what he does at munster is what counts.He knew munster were poor at times,and even in the emotion of the win,was honest to say they were poor.Would paul o connell be offended ,by quinny.No not one bit,as Paul would admit it himself they were poor.

Chris an cullen the greatest full back ever to play the game,hes time at munster is criticised.Munster fans are not taking away from him and its not personal,but reputations mean nothing.It is what you do with their team,they judge you.

With the hurling,their is a different mentality ,they dont apply the same traits.The hurlers this year,it could be seen as clear as day had weak aeras in the team.Yet a win,and nobody questioned the performance which you I believe even said,struggled to beat a 14 man cork team.

Your a superb poster,with a great knowledge of cork gaa,you apprieciate our great Brian Cococran in 2004,, criticised the training of running up hills in macroom with the cork footballers and the wisdom of it ,compared to the training he had done with the superb ted owens in the hurling.

Larry Tompkins was a great great player,servant and captain to cork,but he had hes faults and cococoran was honest enough to say them.Noel o leary ,and rightfully so,you as a cork man will admit ,said the 2003 u21 football team ,cork beaten by clare,then waterford in 03, was the worst management set up he had been involved with,as in terms of poor training,locations for training,and team morale etc.

One of our greatest players that won everything as a player,anthony davis wasnt immune as the coach to critisim .

Oh Tom has quite a lot of faults and i wouldn't put him in charge of a team unless he had a tactician that understands modern day hurling to work alongside him.His stint with Westmeath was a disaster so i wouldn't let him loose on his own.I just find this talk about Tom trying to take over the u21's as madness?Do you seriously think that Ciaran Carey would put up with Tom if he was undermining his authority and if he does im sure that Ciaran would say hang on a second Tom im the man in charge here.Oh and i never agreed with everything that Tom said in his Daily Mail articles or every quote that he uttered to the media.I just think you have to admire a man who just say's what he thinks straight out.Like him or loath him Tom is a character to be fair to him.

• Advertisement

But he is not a messiah.

About Tony Davis well he shouldn't have put in charge of the team in the first place and if you don't have the players respect then you have no business being in a position of authority over them.Just like Pat Kenneally and i feel so sorry for the players who have to put up with that man for the entirety of the formative years of their Cork careers.Tom didn't have the respect of the players at Newtown and when he was at Westmeath the training sessions were poorly attened.The players felt that they were going nowhere under him so they didn't bother showing up for training.Then the new man came in and they won the Christy Ring cup.I think Tom did have the respect of the players when he was Limerick manager though and a lot of them were very hurt and upset when he was sacked.The county board did cause him serious trouble and they did the same to any manager that stood up to them like Eamonn Cregan and Richie Bennis.However that wasn't the reason why Limerick lost those two all ireland finals and Tom has blamed everyone from the county board to the players themselves to the Limerick Leader for those two defeats!He actually said in Unlimited Heartbreak that he accepts no responsibility for those defeats!

.However that wasn't the reason why Limerick lost those two all ireland finals and Tom has blamed everyone from the county board to the players themselves to the Limerick Leader for those two defeats!He actually said in Unlimited Heartbreak that he accepts no responsibility for those defeats![/quote]
    And that sums him up in a nutshell,nothing is ever hes fault,when time proves clearly he was the problem.It was the same at newtown,same at westmeath.As soon as he went westmeath and newtown had an immediate change of fortune.Westmeath didn't want to play under him.They were proven right.I can't blame them.Great managers have widespread respect as managers.
    Our greatest player as dual star,teddy mac,a woeful manager at intercounty.Laois in the end didnt want to play under him.He has even had trouble with newcastlewest and left.Again ,great players don't always become great managers.

Sean boylan ,a hurler firstly,an ok player but a truly,truly great manager ,8 all ireland finals winning four.

Limerick hurling to create a bright new future,must move away from its past.Im sorry to say,they cant do that when they have him with two teams.

And I judge him as a manager soley.I agree he was a great player.But like I have proved,their is the world of difference between,great players and great managers.Gerald macarthy,great player.As manager ,good at best.

Jbm ,great player,great manager.Davy fitz great player,great manager.

I agree with you regards pat kenneally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

podgec20 wrote: »
    Any excuse not to give him the job so!! Anyone remember what kind of player Don Flynn was at senior level, as far as I know he was on the minor and U-21 teams in the 80s but dont remember hearing of him playing much for seniors?
    A right timber merchant was Don. Limerick's own version of Liam Dunne.

Hi guys, here are a few links of Tom Ryan on Tipperary Mid West Radio when Unlimited Heartbreak came out. Well worth a listen, Enjoy

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0diAbJW1NE

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06WjXg3UkHY

Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfONxC0RToA

Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBSZ9NkvhR8

Another Tom Ryan video worth a watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ca-XDOyKMc

Advertisement