Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3mb eircombroadband not realy 3mb

Options
  • 07-09-2011 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all, we upgraded to 3mb eircom broadband but we dont get download speed near that its more like 300 kb/s... ìs it just a gimic or whats the story... cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

ah sorry didnt see second part :P no thats perfect your getting 3MB (3MB per min) or 300kb/s (per sec)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tomchom

tryed that test my results are 2.63Mbps download and .21 Mbps upload... my package should give me 3 MB/s no ?
    cheers...

do you tink thats correct ? i was thinkin i would get 3MB/s... no a minute... so if a had 8MB broadband id only get 8MB a minute ?
    cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

tomchom wrote: »
    Hi all, we upgraded to 3mb eircom broadband but we dont get download speed near that its more like 300 kb/s... ìs it just a gimic or whats the story... cheers

Hi tomchom,

Can you send on your telephone number and I will check that out for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

do you tink thats correct ? i was thinkin i would get 3MB/s... no a minute... so if a had 8MB broadband id only get 8MB a minute ?
    cheers...
    no sorry thats wrong, if you had 8MB you would get 46.87MB per min, in your case your getting 17.57MB per min.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Your misinterpreting the speed. You have 3Mb (Mb standing for Megabit) broadband, and are downloading at 300KB (Kb standing for Kilobytes)

There are 1024Kb in 1Mb
    And there are 1024b in 1Kb.

The same rule applies to MB and KB (Note the case difference)

There are 8 Bits (Lowecase B) in a Byte (Uppercase B). ie 8b = 1B.

Therefore, you divide your Mb's by 8, to find your maximum download speed. So;
    3Mb = 3072Kb

3072Kb divided by 8 = 384.

So your maximum download speed is 384KB per Second.

All providers advertise broadband as "Up to *Mb", meaning you will get up to that, you wont always get that, but you will always be around it, depending on certain variables, like where your line is, what sockets you use at home, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

2.6MB Download and .3MB Upload is consistantly my speed for eircom 3MB. good connection thoug, especially for gaming

tryed that test my results are 2.63Mbps download and .21 Mbps upload... my package should give me 3 MB/s no ?
    cheers...

That's pretty normal for a 3 meg connection. You'll never get full speed in a speed test especially on DSL; some of the bandwidth is consumed by protocol overheads amongst other things.

If you've got Sky TV connected to your phone line, that can have an affect on your connection speeds.
    Also, most houses have one main phone socket, all other sockets are connected through it (Think of it like how an extension cord works). For fastest BB speeds, you'll want to plug your router into the main socket.
    Finally, make sure you've got filters on all the active lines, including the router. They're cheap enough in a hardware store. Alternatively, you can just call Eircom and ask for a couple. They're usually happy enough to send you them. Has worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Karsini wrote: »
    That's pretty normal for a 3 meg connection. You'll never get full speed in a speed test especially on DSL; some of the bandwidth is consumed by protocol overheads amongst other things.

Wrong, some providers, eg Smart, deliver speeds NET of ensapsulation and eircom deliver GROSS .....so to deliver 2.7mbits of usable bandwidth they send 3mbit gross down the line including encapsulation overhead.

They actually sell you 2.7mbits , always did.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Wrong, some providers, eg Smart, deliver speeds NET of ensapsulation and eircom deliver GROSS .....so to deliver 2.7mbits of usable bandwidth they send 3mbit gross down the line including encapsulation overhead.

So does that mean that a Smart line at, lets say 6 meg, doesn't sync at 6144 but 6400 or something similar?

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Wrong. I've gotten my full speed at times. They sell 3Mb, you can get up to 3Mb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not on a traditional 3mbit package, you may have been upgraded to an NGN package which allows synch above 3mbits.

hey guys i think i may have been confused i thuoghy 3Mb was 3 megabytes not 3 megabits... my bad.... cheers for all the help.

Advertisement