Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build or New Motherboard?

Options
  • 07-09-2011 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭

I've posted here a few times about my last HWVS build bought in March 2008. About July 2010, the PC would randomly restart, looking back it was definitely caused by a PSU on the way out. After one restart too many, the BIOS corrupted and the Gigabyte mobo was stuck in a boot loop, which can't be fixed by clearing the CMOS and has to be RMA'd. So I got the mobo back from Gigabyte and of course it still didn't work, me still not realising the PSU was fried. I think the failed PSU could have put the mobo back into a boot loop, but I'm not sure.

So a few months ago, I did the paperclip test on the PSU, realised it was dead and sent it back to Corsair who sent me a new 650w one. I installed it this week and turned on the PC after more than a year..... and it was in a boot loop still!

So, my question is:
    Should I buy a new motherboard (for an Intel Q6600 chip, can you still get these?) and keep trying to fix this build? It could be the CPU with the problem as well.
    OR
    Just cut my losses and buy a new €500 build from HWVS, assembled for me.

I've been using a POS Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop (Celeron 900 chip) for the past year and it's driving me mental, the CPU fan shoots up after 2 Youtube tabs and Eclipse/Android emulator is painfully slow. I've a bit of cash now and if HWVS took credit cards, I would definitely have ordered this build tonight. But they don't so I've time to think it over and get some sage advice :-)
    Total build cost: €437.32 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i3-2100 Box, LGA1155 €93.27
    MSI H61M-E33 (B3), Intel H61, mATX, DDR3 €53.03
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €30.59
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €16.64
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €40.94
    Club 3D HD5450 512MB, ATI Radeon HD5450, PCI-Express €24.37
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz €31.61
    Samsung EcoGreen F4 2000GB, SATA II (HD204UI) 8,9cm (3,5") €59.73
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €87.14

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Well all you would really need is a new motherboard/CPU and possibly RAM if you have DDR2. Everything else should be fine, so something like this would work:

Total build cost: €283.69 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €174.57
    ASRock P67 Pro3 SE (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €78.53

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

You can still get compatible motherboards (LGA 775 socket should be compatible) but it'd cost you as much as a new motherboard. If you get stuck, I should have one (GA-EP35C-DS3R) I can pass on in a month or two from upgrading myself. No promises though.

The modern motherboard, processor and Ram would work out better long term though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Of course a new build is nice, and it's up to you what to do.

A cheaper way out would be pick up a new 775 board like this one for €47 on Komplett with free shipping;
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/15_MOBO/02_INTEL/productdetails/20076124/MSI_G41M_P26_Motherboard_micro_ATX_LGA775/G41M_P26/default.aspx

MSI site;
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G41M-P26.html#?div=Detail

Although if the CPU is really gone, it would be a bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Ive got a spare 775 board that you can try out if you want to see if your cpu is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

deconduo wrote: »
    Well all you would really need is a new motherboard/CPU and possibly RAM if you have DDR2. Everything else should be fine, so something like this would work:

Total build cost: €283.69 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €174.57
    ASRock P67 Pro3 SE (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €78.53

For that cost, I would probably just buy that new build you had in the other thread. I've built one PC before and the novelty is gone, I would probaly feck something up! Also, I'd love the SSD, would improve my life so much. So I'm really only saving about €100 and I then have to put it together myself.
    L wrote: »
    You can still get compatible motherboards (LGA 775 socket should be compatible) but it'd cost you as much as a new motherboard. If you get stuck, I should have one (GA-EP35C-DS3R) I can pass on in a month or two from upgrading myself. No promises though.

The modern motherboard, processor and Ram would work out better long term though.

Cheers, PM me if/when you're slling
    Moon54 wrote: »
    Of course a new build is nice, and it's up to you what to do.

A cheaper way out would be pick up a new 775 board like this one for €47 on Komplett with free shipping;
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/15_MOBO/02_INTEL/productdetails/20076124/MSI_G41M_P26_Motherboard_micro_ATX_LGA775/G41M_P26/default.aspx

MSI site;
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G41M-P26.html#?div=Detail

Although if the CPU is really gone, it would be a bummer.

Sweet! So if I bought this mobo, it would def work with my components (ddr2 ram) as long as the CPU isn't gone? As you can tell, I'm very lazy looking around so cheers for the help. I think I'm gonna get that new build *and* buy a mobo as I just don't want to give up on the old one!
    Ive got a spare 775 board that you can try out if you want to see if your cpu is working.

Yeah, I'll buy it off you. What model and how much? And where are you based, I could pick it up.

• Advertisement

Well, started looking for a replacement motherboard at around 2am tonight, not wanting to spend over €50 and ended up ordering a new build for €700 based off this post from deconduo.:o

I never knew HWVS accepted Paypal.
    8VIMP.png

I'm going to use my new Corsair TX650 PSU and for graphics, maybe my old Sapphire Radeon HD 2600Pro 512MB GDDR2, PCI-Express if it works. Or the integrated graphics if it doesn't. I don't play any games except maybe Football Manager.

Is cpubenchmark.net accurate for CPUs in ye're opinion? I saw the i3-2100 was '3856' and the i7-2600k was '9928' and just thought how many more Chrome Flash tabs I could have open without the laptop fan going into overdrive! My current laptop CPU is a Celeron 900 with a benchmark of '763', a site with a lot of Flash ads can put the the CPU to 80-90% usage. So hopefully this will never happen with this build or is my thinking wrong?

Before all this, I spent ages looking for a LGA775 motherboard that supported DDR2 RAM. The best price I could get deliverd to Ireland was €80-€90 from some UK websites that I'd never heard of so I just said **** it.

PC came today, pretty quick. But they didn't mount the Cooler on the CPU! The one thing that I could see myself ****ing up.
    sehr geehrte kundin sehr geehrter kunde,

auf grund des hoden Eigengewichts des CPU-Kühlers und der damit verbundenen Gefahr des Ausreißens aus dem CPU-Sockel während des Transports durch den Paketdiesnt legen wir Ihnen den Kühler im unverbauten Zustand der Lieferung bei.

Bitte montieren Sie diesen, bevor Sie ihren Rechner das erste Mal einscahlten.

Bitte haben Sie Verständis für diese Maßnahme und auch dafür, dass wir im falle eines fehleinbaus des kühlers keine garanti übernehmen können.

Selbstverständlich ist Ihr PC in unserer Technikabteilung vor Verlassen unseres Hauses getestet worden.

Ihr Technikteam

Google Translate
    Dear Customer Dear Customer,

of the testis due to self weight of the CPU cooler and the associated risk of pulling out of the CPU socket during transport through the Paketdiesnt we put you in the cooler disassembled condition at delivery.

Please install it before you einscahlten their computer the first time.

Please understand that operation and also ensures that we fall in a failed installation of the cooler can not guarantee.

Of course your PC in our engineering department before leaving our house has been tested.

Your technical team

They have the i7 2600k stock cooler installed on the board, I assume with some thermal paste. Is this safe to use for a few days to make sure everything else is working? Does the i7 turn off if it's overheating or is it immediately fried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

They have the i7 2600k stock cooler installed on the board, I assume with some thermal paste. Is this safe to use for a few days to make sure everything else is working? Does the i7 turn off if it's overheating or is it immediately fried?

The stock cooler should suffice even for running cpu heavy applications but only at stock cpu speeds. You only need the aftermarket heatsink if you are going to overclock the cpu.

In relation to your other question, the system should shut off/freeze if the temperatures get too high.

Trevor451 wrote: »
    The stock cooler should suffice even for running cpu heavy applications but only at stock cpu speeds. You only need the aftermarket heatsink if you are going to overclock the cpu.

In relation to your other question, the system should shut off/freeze if the temperatures get too high.

cheers bud, just overly worried that i might fcuk something up. i won't be overclocking but i'll probably install the new fan cooler seeing as i bought it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement