Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with WiFi download speed fluctuating

Options
  • 07-09-2011 4:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum, mods: please move if necessary.

I set up a new router today (TP-Link WR740N) and am having a small problem with it - every ten seconds or so there is a drop in download speeds. It would be downloading at, say, 1.8mbps and suddenly drop to 350kbps then rise back to 1.8mbps etc. I can also see the drop while doing a speed test - it would show the speed at around 15mbps then drop to 5, then rise back up etc. It's only happening wirelessly tho - computers connected via ethernet to router are unaffected.

Could it be some setting that needs to be adjusted or something? I tried changing the wireless channel but it didn't help.

Would really appreciate some advice, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

When you changed the channel did you move it at least 5 from the existing one.

Download Inssider http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ it will show what other networks are around and what channel they are running on.

There could also be other RF interference from other devices such as baby alarms, video streamers etc.

If you need a solid connection then you have to use a cable particularly if you live in a high density area where there will be numerous wireless devices in the immediate vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

FSL wrote: »
    When you changed the channel did you move it at least 5 from the existing one.

Download Inssider http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ it will show what other networks are around and what channel they are running on.

There could also be other RF interference from other devices such as baby alarms, video streamers etc.

If you need a solid connection then you have to use a cable particularly if you live in a high density area where there will be numerous wireless devices in the immediate vicinity.

The channel was on auto but I changed it to 11 and then to 5 and neither helped.

Ended up restoring the router to factory settings and re set it up, rebooted the laptop and it seems to have fixed it for now.

Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You have any video senders, wireless cameras or baby monitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You have any video senders, wireless cameras or baby monitors?

Nope, all I have is the router.

The problem seems to be resolved for now tho after the reset and reboot.

Advertisement