Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Future According To Movies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

V For Vendetta is not set in 2038.

The comic is set in the late 1980's/early 1990's and the film version is set in 2020.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I wish the real world looked like the opening cityscape shot in Blade Runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Kess73 wrote: »

The comic is set in the late 1980's/early 1990's and the film version is set in 2020.:)

I'll be sure to let them know! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

The Red Dwarf date is wrong too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Well if Back to the Future is to be believed we have 4 years to go until we get hoverboards :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Well if Back to the Future is to be believed we have 4 years to go until we get hoverboards :cool:

Nike are coming out with the shoes so who knows. :D
    ASIAN LABOUR MARKET BOOSTER Nike is readying the release of a pair of shoes first seen in the film Back to the Future 2, the Nike Air Mag.
    Those who have seen the film and noticed the shoes will have seen a rather obvious Nike logo on the side of them, as well as the fact that they are self lacing. This might have some appeal to the more lazy amongst us, but for fans of the film, and trainer enthusiasts, they are something of a must-have.
    They have been a long time coming. Nike has had a patent for self lacing shoes for some time, and an actual release has always seemed like a natural follow-on. Now it seems that time is upon us.
    Trainer site Nicekicks was sent a mysterious invite from Nike, which although it did not actually say that the shoes were coming out dropped some rather large hints in the form of a box that included a paid of silver, visor like sunglasses worn by Dr Brown in the filmn along with a recorded message from the doc himself.
    It said, "Welcome to Los Angeles. If my calculations are correct, over the next 24 hours you are about to see some SERIOUS SH*T!" Also included was an invitation to an event, hosted by Nike designer Tinker Hatfield, that reads, "IT'S ABOUT TIME...an unveiling that could change the course of time." The time is later today.
    If Nike has cracked its self-lacing technology - and hasn't just turned to Velcro, for example - then perhaps the shoes will deserve the hype that they will receive.
    Nike filed the patent for its self lacing system in November 2009. Patent apers appear to show a lacing system that reacts when a foot is placed in the shoe.
    A video posted to Youtube by Dr Emmet Brown, shows the shoes in some detail. In a message posted underneath the video, incidentally the only video posted by the account, the Doc adds, "If I didn't know any better, I'd say that looks like shelves and shelves of 2011 Nike MAG shoes."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/boffin-watch-blog/2107772/nike-readying-future-shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Nike are coming out with the shoes so who knows. :D

That is cool! When I was 17, I did have trainers like Marty's in 1985 - White Nike trainers with the red tick. It also coincided with me just passing my driving test so I would often drive up to 88mph wearing the shoes and pretend I was going back in time. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's 2015: where are all the RePet stores? :confused:

This is an "infomercial" filmed for the movie The 6th Day (2000), which is set in the year 2015. By then, according to the movie, you'll be able to buy a clone of a dead pet that's just like the old one, or better! The "6th Day" laws prohibit the use of the cloning process on humans, so there's no danger that Arnie will come home, from his job flying skiers to the slopes in a jet-copter, to find that he's been "replaced" ... :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

You must be just about the only person who thinks of the 6th Day when people talk about films set in a futuristic 2015...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just a coincidence - I saw it mentioned elsewhere on the 'Net and remembered I quite enjoyed that film. The soundtrack by Trevor Rabin is stonking work. Though it might have been a bit better had Kevin Costner not had a schedule conflict ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Kess73 wrote: »
    Ridley wrote: »
    The Red Dwarf date is wrong too. ;)

While we're at it. People are killed in Logan's Run at 30, not 21 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

While there's some amusement to be had in scoffing at just how wrong the movie business consistently gets it when it comes to sci-fi (still waiting on my flying car damnit!), it's often more interesting to analyse where they got it right.
    Good sci-fi always asks the bigger questions or satirises, through the lens of science fiction, the concerns of society today. We might not have flying cars, but we can ask if the underlying themes these films sought to explore are still relevant or worse still, that they were prescient.

Since it's 2015, let’s take Robocop as an example.

So we don't have cyborgs (yet). But, Detroit is today a bankrupt, failed city and when you consider the state of policing in the US, it has indeed become unquestionably militarized. We may not have ED-209 walking our streets, but you wonder how long it will be before drones are used as commonplace policing tools? In the case of Robocop, the underlying concerns for society that it satirises, corporatism, the privatization of state functions through outsourcing, the militarization and mechanization of policing etc. make the film seem as relevant today as it was in ’87, a point that the reboot resoundingly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

conorhal wrote: »
    While there's some amusement to be had in scoffing at just how wrong the movie business consistently gets it when it comes to sci-fi (still waiting on my flying car damnit!), it's often more interesting to analyse where they got it right.
    Good sci-fi always asks the bigger questions or satirises, through the lens of science fiction, the concerns of society today. We might not have flying cars, but we can ask if the underlying themes these films sought to explore are still relevant or worse still, that they were prescient.

Since it's 2015, let’s take Robocop as an example.

So we don't have cyborgs (yet). But, Detroit is today a bankrupt, failed city and when you consider the state of policing in the US, it has indeed become unquestionably militarized. We may not have ED-209 walking our streets, but you wonder how long it will be before drones are used as commonplace policing tools? In the case of Robocop, the underlying concerns for society that it satirises, corporatism, the privatization of state functions through outsourcing, the militarization and mechanization of policing etc. make the film seem as relevant today as it was in ’87, a point that the reboot resoundingly missed.

Also worth mentioning that while we don't have full-on cyborgs yet we do have early versions of robotic prosthetic limbs now. In fact the robotics of RoboCop's 2015 are actually far less advanced than what's been developed in real life 2015.

Advertisement