Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a gaming case

Options
  • 07-09-2011 8:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

hey there,

I am looking for some recommendations for a gaming case. I am looking to spend in the region of 150 euro and can go a bit higher if necessary.

I was looking at the NZXT phantom which is really nice and is about 130 euro including shipping on overclockers. Is there any better case I could get in the same price bracket? Up to 150 or 160 euro?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

When your talking this kind of money you can get some great cases.

The 600T comes in about Eur140. Loads of room and cable management space. There is also a white version for the same price. You can see @Tea bags build using this case in the picture thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

deejer wrote: »

The 600T comes in about Eur140. Loads of room and cable management space. There is also a white version for the same price. You can see @Tea bags build using this case in the picture thread.

Seems like a good case, but it's a mid tower. Looking for a full tower case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Limericks wrote: »

Fractal Design Define XL scan lists it as midi, but other places as a full tower :confused:

Silverstone RV02 with its crazy orientation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I have that case - it's great. Loads of room for everything. Fully tool-less, and easy off back panel for cabling.

The downside for me is the hugeness of it. It takes up a ridiculous amount of floor space. I can't believe it's a mid tower.

The thing about alot of mid towers - especially ones in this price bracket - is that they are as big as full towers.

Alot of mid towers have room for a radiator internally. (If thats what your looking for)

One newer full tower case which I have seen great reviews for and is a reasonable price (maybe a little over budget but its fecking huge!) is the Elysium.

• Advertisement

Hmmm.. How would the 600t fair against the nzxt phantom. It's going really cheap for a great case.

Hmmm.. How would the 600t fair against the nzxt phantom. It's going really cheap for a great case.

Certainly cant argue with the price of the phantom. And looking throught the reviews on overclockers nobody has anything bad to say about it!

But at that price there has to be some corners cut and I would imagine its down to the build quality. You are probably talking alot of plastic.

I guess its down to whether you need all the space of a full tower or if a mid tower for a similar price will do - giving you a better quality case.

Certainly cant argue with the price of the phantom. And looking throught the reviews on overclockers nobody has anything bad to say about it!

But at that price there has to be some corners cut and I would imagine its down to the build quality. You are probably talking alot of plastic.

I guess its down to whether you need all the space of a full tower or if a mid tower for a similar price will do - giving you a better quality case.

Yeah apparently it has allot of plastic in it but it is hard ABS plastic. According to reviews it doesn't degrade the quality at all and it looks fantastic.

hmm.. tough choice.

and it looks fantastic.

You know when your spending this much on a case I think this is one of the most important points! It could be the best case in the world but if I dont like the look of it I am not going to buy it.

Everyone has different taste especially when it comes to cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

are you planning on getting an ATX XL motherboard?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yeah apparently it has allot of plastic in it but it is hard ABS plastic. According to reviews it doesn't degrade the quality at all and it looks fantastic.

Not that much plastic - there's a good 11 kilos of SECC steel in there :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The Phantom is a really good case at that price range.

The Fractal Define XL would be a decent choice as well, essentially a larger R3:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/fractal-design-define-xl-black-pearl-mid-tower-case-w-o-psu

Only real problem with it is no USB3, which most tower cases have at this point.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yeah, but in 99% of them its fUglySB3 with the pathetic pass-through cable jutting out of the case to go into the back of the mobo :p No great loss, not until companies wise up and finally start using the internal USB3 mobo headers.

In the meantime the Phantom is cheap and hawt. And very ergonomic and capable. Its just not wrapped from head to toe in sheet aluminium, is all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Solitaire wrote: »
    Yeah, but in 99% of them its fUglySB3 with the pathetic pass-through cable jutting out of the case to go into the back of the mobo :p No great loss, not until companies wise up and finally start using the internal USB3 mobo headers.

In the meantime the Phantom is cheap and hawt. And very ergonomic and capable. Its just not wrapped from head to toe in sheet aluminium, is all.

The red one looks pretty meh, I don't think it suits it at all. The white one looks awesome though, and the black one is pretty decent as well.

deconduo wrote: »
    The red one looks pretty meh, I don't think it suits it at all. The white one looks awesome though, and the black one is pretty decent as well.

Agreed, think I will go for the black one as a mate will be going for white!

They look awsome though and I love the built in fan controller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

deconduo wrote: »

I guess i must be the only person who really liked the red one. I thought the white version looked really nice but as with anything white it will be a nightmare to keep clean. Also the white version is a stormtrooper helmet. :D
    Agreed, think I will go for the black one as a mate will be going for white!

They look awsome though and I love the built in fan controller

I ordered the red version myself this week. I wonder what happens when you combine all 3 colours. :D

The fan controller looks really good, being able to control all 7 fans at once is going to be great. Keep in mind that the case only ships with 4 fans. I ordered 2 additional NZXT 200mm fans from scan.co.uk for about 15 quid each.

Only downside to the case is that you can't mount a dust filter on the optional front intake fan. I didn't bother with one because of this, but its just something to be aware of.

Parawind wrote: »
    I guess i must be the only person who really liked the red one. I thought the white version looked really nice but as with anything white it will be a nightmare to keep clean. Also the white version is a stormtrooper helmet. :D

I ordered the red version myself this week. I wonder what happens when you combine all 3 colours. :D

The fan controller looks really good, being able to control all 7 fans at once is going to be great. Keep in mind that the case only ships with 4 fans. I ordered 2 additional NZXT 200mm fans from scan.co.uk for about 15 quid each.

Only downside to the case is that you can't mount a dust filter on the optional front intake fan. I didn't bother with one because of this, but its just something to be aware of.

I saw in a review that the case is coated in something that doesn't leave fingerprints or dirt and such. The red one is ok but I much prefer the others. And the white one is cool because it looks like storm trooper armour :D

hmm It's a bit cheaper on scan then on overclockers. How much altogether did you pay on scan including the two fans and delivery, if you don't mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

I saw in a review that the case is coated in something that doesn't leave fingerprints or dirt and such. The red one is ok but I much prefer the others. And the white one is cool because it looks like storm trooper armour :D

hmm It's a bit cheaper on scan then on overclockers. How much altogether did you pay on scan including the two fans and delivery, if you don't mind me asking.

I actually ordered my case from hardwareversand with the rest of my build. Hardwareversand have a fixed 30 euro delivery charge. I think the fans + delivery from scan was 40euro. Had the fans delivered in 2 days, great service.

Just be careful when buying the fans, there is a version with LEDs and a version without. The one without is twice as powerful as the one with LEDs and they are the same price.

Thought you might be interested in the new phantom that has been released :)

http://www.techpowerup.com/152802/NZXT-Launches-Phantom-Big-Tower-Pink-Edition.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement