Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cookie_Monster's new and improved Kiwi flavoured log

• 07-09-2011 8:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭

So now that I'm all setup down here in the back end of the world I've decided to kick off with this log.

Stats are (presumably) the same as the end of the last one, I haven't bothered to check and don't have a scales handy.

Goals before year end:

2,000km
    Join the local club
    Enter a race and don't come last
    lose another 2kg.

I've been out with the club and will sign up this week or next and get that ticked off. There is a summer race series apparently starting at the end of October so that will cover that bit. The insane hills and speed of club rides will ensure the effort is there burn off the flab. I've also started to use Strava for all uploads as well as Garmin as it's better for some things

Week 1 (which is actually week 35 of the year for me so far)

Tuesday: 39.6km
    http://app.strava.com/rides/1429689

Circuit out south of New Plymouth

Lovely day, better than the summer in Ireland at the moment, headed out south along the main road, perfect surface and wide lane for cyclists for most of the road. Plenty of ups and downs as the road crossed the valleys of small streams. After about 12km turn left onto Koru road and headed up into the hills and the clouds. Visibility dropped dramatically as I got up into the low lying cloud around the mountain, dropping to about 30m at times. No problem when slowly climbing up, but lethal when descending again, so constantly on the brakes despite the perfect surface.

Drove the right hand turn from the top of the cat3 the next day, awesome road, narrow, cuts through dense forest and rock cuttings, little wooden bridges and even a falcon in the middle of the road cleaning up some road kill. Def a road I want to do on the bike but only coming down it.

The weather cleared again once got back down a bit and an eassy enough finish back into New Plymouth.

Thursday: 25.1km
    http://app.strava.com/rides/1452821
    New Plymouth Coastal Walkway

Up and back along the wonderful coastal walkway that was built a few years ago. It totals 20km and I did a little bit of looking around at each end.

This bridge is the highlight of the route, inspired by a whale bone and designed to frame the mountain when looking at it:
    Te-Rewa-Rewa54s.jpg

The surface is perfectly flat and smooth concrete, ideal for cycling or roller blading :)

Sunday: 88.7km
    No idea where this took me until I looked at it.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/1504497

First club spin and boy was it tough. Hilly and fast, they don't letup on the climbs at all. 12-14 of us headed off from the north end of New Plymouth.

Luckily for me there were a couple of stops for punctures which allowed me to catch my breath in places. By the time we had done around 50km the group split and I actually decided to go the longer way :eek::rolleyes:

90km without a coffee stoop too, proper hardcore. But I survived it and am willing to go next week all over again so it couldn't have been that bad :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Best of luck with it! Jealous of the blue skys down there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Fantastic photo.
    Enjoy the cycling, and the rugby on your doorstep tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

(the photo's not mine :o)

Here's my version from today's cycle, the weather is not quite the same:

317296_114794468623325_100002783173115_65111_1522855556_n.jpg?dl=1

Was in the Fanzone in New Plymouth for opening and first match, great place. Have tickets for the Ireland game tomorrow too :D

Here's a better one I took last Sunday
    173895.jpg

*jealous*

Here, we will be 'enjoying' the tail-end of Hurricane Katia on this morning's club spin.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

... Jealous...
    *jealous*

+1

• Advertisement

Week 2

"Wild and Windy"

Weekly dist: 91.2km
    Total: 244.6km

Didn't get all I wanted done this week as Sunday was a truly awful day and I wasn't going out in it so missed out on another 60-80km

The whole of this week is the same, winds strong enough to be dangerous and Wednesday looks horrific. So I'm not holding out for too much this week but hopefully it'll clean up.

There seem to be very few people around here with GPS's or on Strava, very few segments or others on it. Most of the club guys last Sunday only had computers with wheel sensors on them rather than GPS.

So I've been making a few segments and trying to find suitable local loops in around the 30-60km dist for future afternoons.

http://app.strava.com/rides/1504495
    http://app.strava.com/rides/1544063

Both these rides contain a short loop around the back of the port area, a good climb and then a bit of up and down, an ideal short run for future or even a couple of loops in one go.

There are two other rides I'm not detailing cos they're short and local, similar to previous ones.

http://app.strava.com/rides/1566608
    a nice 30km loop I found the other day, first half all climbing up and second all a nice slope back down, quiet roads in perfect condition and even gets to 14% at one point.

Forgot about this a little bit last weekend.

Total for week: 61.3km (last week)
    Total to date: 305.8km

Only two runs this week, a combination of laziness, being sick and terrible weather conspired against me.

Wednesday: 18.1km
    http://app.strava.com/rides/1615949

This had meant to be much longer but two close calls being blown off the road onto the grass edge made me give up before I got any higher up into the hills where it would have no doubt been even windier.

Saturday: 43.2km
    http://app.strava.com/rides/1648572

Started out up the coastal walkway again, such a nice spin when the weather is good. After reaching the end cut up through Bell Block and cut up the back roads rather than the busier 3A. After turning onto Upland road (the segment) I should have turned left to come out onto the 3A just before Inglewood. Missed that and lost about 5.5km but just as well. Started a pilates class the Thurs before and realised during this spin that it definitely had had an effect. I was in bits by the end of Upland Rd.

Was meant to go out with the club again on the Sunday but got up and it was pissing rain so decided to pass, cold wet and windy with a cold was not my idea of a good way to spend Sunday morning.

HTFU ;)

Believe it or not, I've neglected this log.

At this stage I'm going to bin this one but do plan on starting one for next year, it really does help with the motivation.

Went out with the local club a couple of times but it just re-enforced the fact I don't like cycling in groups so binned that idea and will stay as a solo rider for the time being.

The other reason is that I've joined the boards club on strava and upload everything to that anyway so it kinda keeps up the updates to a certain extent.

But I've a few plans and targets for next year already so will start that up at some point, I promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Believe it or not, I've neglected this log.

At this stage I'm going to bin this one but do plan on starting one for next year, it really does help with the motivation.

Went out with the local club a couple of times but it just re-enforced the fact I don't like cycling in groups so binned that idea and will stay as a solo rider for the time being.

The other reason is that I've joined the boards club on strava and upload everything to that anyway so it kinda keeps up the updates to a certain extent.

But I've a few plans and targets for next year already so will start that up at some point, I promise.

Will miss the pics from your rides, scenary is stunning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement