Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought car, no tax on it. How do I pay the tax asap?

• 07-09-2011 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

I’m picking up a car tonight but it has no tax on it. How do I go about taxing it?

Do I have to wait until I receive the VLC or can I go into my local motortax office and pay the tax there straight away? I’d prefer to tax it as soon as I get the car ideally…

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You need the Log Book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

When the logbook comes will I be able to do it online as usual?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    I’m picking up a car tonight but it has no tax on it. How do I go about taxing it?

Do I have to wait until I receive the VLC or can I go into my local motortax office and pay the tax there straight away? I’d prefer to tax it as soon as I get the car ideally…

You can pay the tax at your local office once you have your insurance.

You can chance driving it for a few days, I've been stopped twice by Gardaí with no Tax as I've only recently bought the car and they waved me on after I explained. They're not machines after all, most are decent.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

listermint wrote: »
    You need the Log Book.

You don't.

they/them/theirs

You don't.

The who the hell is the ownership with ??

• Advertisement

When the logbook comes will I be able to do it online as usual?

You can, there is a new text system that sends out the Tax Pin code to your mobile number and you can pay online straight away no queuing in the motor tax office.

It doesn't matter. It takes 4 weeks to send out a logbook. Do you think they have a huge problem with people paying tax on cars they don't own? The only details you need to tax a car is the insurance.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

I think you'll need to wait to you get the cert.

My cert came after a few weeks. I was stopped once by the guards but I showed them my receipt and a photocopy of the part where ownership was being transferred and it was grand. I just carried them with me just in case but I'd say if you explain it'll be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

It doesn't matter. It takes 4 weeks to send out a logbook. Do you think they have a huge problem with people paying tax on cars they don't own? The only details you need to tax a car is the insurance.[/QU

Correct. You will need a rf100 form (i think) from your local garda station so you can declare it off the road for any arrears period.

It doesn't matter. It takes 4 weeks to send out a logbook. Do you think they have a huge problem with people paying tax on cars they don't own? The only details you need to tax a car is the insurance.

Ive gotten one in less than 2, so thats sensationlist. Fair enough on your other point though.

• Advertisement

Ive gotten one in less than 2, so thats sensationlist. Fair enough on your other point though.

Sensationalist, lol. I've gottent them quicker than 4 weeks as well, but if you ask the feckers on the phone they usually quote 4-5weeks.

OP, on 2nd thoughts you do need to get that form mentioned above stamped by the Gardaí before you tax it. Otherwise you'll have to pay the tax back to the last date it was taxed. Drive the car until you get the logbook, then get that form done sharpish. It'll mean you have to go to an office rather than do it online, but it'll save you a few quid.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Correct. You will need a rf100 form (i think) from your local garda station so you can declare it off the road for any arrears period.

you will then be making a false declaration ;)
    You can only declare a car off the road if it was off the road during your ownership.

The OP will only be liable for motor tax from the month he bought it.
    So if he bought it today, he will only be liabe for tax from September onwards, this is why he may need the VLC as it has the dat of ownership transfer on it.

It doesn't matter. It takes 4 weeks to send out a logbook. Do you think they have a huge problem with people paying tax on cars they don't own? The only details you need to tax a car is the insurance.[/QU

I don't want to be declaring it off the road for a period I didn't own the car though. I'm only liable to pay tax from the start of the month it was transferred into my name anyway so there's no need to say it was off the road

I don't want to be declaring it off the road for a period I didn't own the car though. I'm only liable to pay tax from the start of the month it was transferred into my name anyway so there's no need to say it was off the road

Yes, but it's not registered in your name yet. So you need to wait.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I bought a car at the start of August that hadn't been taxed since last November. The log book took 3 weeks to come. I was stopped by the guards a week after I bought it for having no tax. I just explained the situation and it was fine and they were very understanding. When I received the log book I taxed the car right away and brought the disc and log book into the Garda station and it was all sorted then. So there's no rush with taxing it as it's not your fault it takes them ages to issue the log book. :)

Yes, but it's not registered in your name yet. So you need to wait.

Out of the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You need the Log Book.

You can check your reg here to see if it's been transferred into your name,you can tax it once it's been transferred into your name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I bought a car on Aug 19th and have just received the VLC today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You can't declare a newly bought car of the road. You are not in a position to declare that as you didn't own it.

Got the logbook yesterday. Will they send me out a pin over the next few days so I can tax it online or do I have to do it in the tax office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Got the logbook yesterday. Will they send me out a pin over the next few days so I can tax it online or do I have to do it in the tax office?

I think you have to go to the tax office (or post it) yourself. That's how it always used to be done, but they may have changed it.

You'll need to fill out an RF100a form if you go to the tax office / post it.
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,489,en.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

The car must be in your name before you can tax it, I bought a Volvo s60 last week and attempted to tax it last Monday and they would not do it as it was not in my name yet. Anyways the gardai can easily check if a car went through a recent change of ownership therefore you won't get hassle for having no tax for the first couple of weeks. Gardai are decent about stuff like this.

Advertisement