Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 'unusual' zooplus food do you feed your dog?

• 07-09-2011 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Forget RC, Burns, Pedigree, Arden Grange etc does anyone feed any of the more usual (to shops in Ireland) foods on zooplus like Acana, Bozita, Exclusion etc? We're going to have to switch from Luath so looking for alernatives - i'll be going at least rice free or possibly grain free as I'm pretty sure he's not tolerating the rice in the Luath :( Also RC sensitivity is too expensive - its working out at twice as expensive as the Luath :(
    Burns pork and potato is top of my list but i'd be interested in hearing if anyone has tried any of the others? Especially since I might get something free with the food every once in a while from zooplus lol :pac:

PS RAW/BARF isn't an option at the moment so looking for a dry food.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

That's a pity TK that luath didn't agree with him. Any idea why it just flared up now? I have them all changed over to luath but it's very expensive since we got lexi so considering a cheaper but still good food for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

JWB is running through mine at the minute, so have started the switch over to barking heads. It's looking much better already but she threw up last nights dinner. I think all you can do is keep trying to find something that works :(. I'm nowhere near a maxi-zoo but I think I'm going to have to try one of their own brands next if this one doesn't cut the mustard either.

I used barking heads puppy food on lexi for four months and didn't find it great. Her skin was very flaky and has improved big time on luath for just 2 weeks. So hard to get one to suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It's not on zooplus but have you tried Whites?
    Mine was on RC gastro for a while which was costing a bomb so I took the chance and switched to Whites light and sensitive (salmon and rice). We're nearly at the end of the first 15kg bag and haven't had any problems since day 1.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I used barking heads puppy food on lexi for four months and didn't find it great. Her skin was very flaky and has improved big time on luath for just 2 weeks. So hard to get one to suit.

I'm using the lamb one which is supposed to for skin and coat conditioning so will see how it goes!

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    It's not on zooplus but have you tried Whites?
    Mine was on RC gastro for a while which was costing a bomb so I took the chance and switched to Whites light and sensitive (salmon and rice). We're nearly at the end of the first 15kg bag and haven't had any problems since day 1.

How much is 15kg? I emailed them before and didnt have great confidence on their customer service and the reply I got so ended up changing to Luath from Burns & Barking Heads.
    I'm using the lamb one which is supposed to for skin and coat conditioning so will see how it goes!

I might change her over to that in a few months, see how we go on Luath for a while and if I can afford it. How much do you pay for it?

I only bought a small bag, think it was £8.50 stg or something around that in Jolyees ;)

Nope, still have the reciept, it was £8.99 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

We are switching at the moment from RC to Happy Dog. Know this brand from Germany and was always happy with it :)
    The happy dog supreme Africa is grain free:
    Happy Dog Supreme Africa - made in Germany under strictest quality controls:
    • Complete food for all adult dogs with normal energy requirements (20/10)
    • Suitable for dogs with allergies and food intolerances
    • Ostrich as the only source of protein
    • No soya, no protein substitutes
    • No grains
    • With gluten-free potato
    • 90% nutrient digestibility, therefore especially light on the stomach and intestines
    and when u choose 3 diffrent flavours (total 12.5 kg) u will pay around 50€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

TillyGirl wrote: »
    How much is 15kg? I emailed them before and didnt have great confidence on their customer service and the reply I got so ended up changing to Luath from Burns & Barking Heads.

41 euro for 15kg. They don't do small bags of the light and sensitive.
    The pet shop in Tuam stock Whites but didn't have that one so they ordered it in for me and gave me loads of free samples to keep me going. I had just missed the regular delivery day so it took a while to come. I wouldn't have wanted to be stuck for it but had enough samples anyway but I'll make sure not to leave it too late for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kattra

Acana (same manufacturer as Orijen) should do the job. One of my friends uses it with his german shepherd who has problems with grain digestion. He is doing great on Acana, poo and coat are fabulous and the dog has a lot of energy now.

Not on Zooplus, and not on an irish shop , but also coming highly recommended is "Wolfblut", especially the WIDE PLAIN variant for dogs with multiple allergies. Sadly the site isn`t available in english, but they deliver to Ireland:

http://www.wolfsblut.com/hundefutter_wide_plain.php

If you need a translation just poke me. For 15kg you`d pay between 57 and 62 Euro a bag. I probably will be switching my rescue Ret to that after finishing the Select Gold.

Very similar and also available on Zooplus seems to be Taste of the Wild. But I can`t provide first or second hand experience with that food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks guys. The Luath was brilliant for months just the last few months the poo has been hit and miss - today was day 3 of mixing in a small handful of Luath in with the sensitivity control and there was a noticible difference when he went to the loo this morning - he would have had Luath yesterday as treats at daycare which he had no probs with last week when he was on sensitivity control with nothing else mixed in. This is good news in a way because it suggests he can handle a small amount of the Luath so I just need to find something he can have at home that'll give the right balance to allow some Luath at daycare.

I've mailed Burns for some samples of their Pork and Potato food :)

This is my short list at the moment - I don't want to go too high on protein levels with him having his leg problems :

Burns p&p
    Bosch
    Bozita
    Mera Grain Free
    Exclusion
    Luposan - I'm slightly biased towards Luposan because their joint pellets have made a huge difference for him - he hasn't needed any pain meds since I started him on them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I feed Acana that I get from zooplus. She is doing very well on it, I was feeding Orijen but it was a bit rich for her so switched to Acana and am very happy.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

JWB is running through mine at the minute, so have started the switch over to barking heads. It's looking much better already but she threw up last nights dinner. I think all you can do is keep trying to find something that works :(. I'm nowhere near a maxi-zoo but I think I'm going to have to try one of their own brands next if this one doesn't cut the mustard either.

I have mine on the Barking Heads (I was beginning to think I was the only one!!), dog one has cast iron stomach, can eat anything, dog 2 is tres sensitive and took her a couple of weeks at least to settle on it but touch wood it's really agreeing with her now, she's on the chicken and rice for sensitive tums and (ahem) flatulence problems :o, her farting is practically non existent now and nice solid poopy doops, marvellous!! But once in a while she does chuck up a bit of food, however I think that could be be because she's eating too fast (to keep with dog one) and can't cope!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm currently trying bozita wet food with my two, mixed in with the dry food some days, other days they get just dry (also great for stuffing kongs), they love it and no reaction at all.
    I had got the cat version and cats went nuts, I feed a mixed diet and works well, so decided to try the dog one.
    It even smells nice(for pet food) and I'm considering trying the Bozita dry too, let me know if its a success.
    My fella seems to be having issues with every food I try and I need a low protein one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Jeez, it's incredible the amount of people that have been reporting JWB causing loose/runny poos in their dogs. It really seems to have started since JWB was bought out by Masterfoods. Maybe they have changed the formula somewhat. My guys did very well on it but that is a few years ago. Two separate friends of mine fed the JWB junior to their pups in the last 18 months and both pups got the runs. One friend even sent a sample from the bag back to JWB for testing in case it was tainted.

I feel your pain TK as the Royal Canin sensitivity control is horrendously expensive! Our vet charges €86 for a 10kg bag. My aunt's dog was on it for a long while until I suggested switching her over to Robbies and she is perfect on the Robbies or Luath.

My guys still get Robbies in the morning but I have just started them on Green Dog dry food for their evening meal and they are doing very well on it. It does have rice, barley and oats in it though. (Sounds like a lot of grains I know but it's 26% dried turkey.)

I'd say the Burns pork and potato would be a good one to try alright.

I think I'll try Burns first, then Boizta if it doesn't work out. Thou I'm not sure about Bozita as it has wheat in which may cause the same probs as the rice. I made up a table yesterday of what they cost per day etc to help make my decision :D

Name|Protein|Price /kg|days 1kg lasts
    Bozita Original|21|2.58|3
    Mera Grain Free|22|5.39|3
    Happy Dog Ireland|21|4.24|3
    Burns p&p|18.5|4.29|4
    Exclusion|22|6.7|4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's a minefield, isn't it! :p

boomerang wrote: »
    It's a minefield, isn't it! :p

YES!!! Lol! I thought we were done with it when we switched to the Luath last year! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Wasn't one of the Bozita foods lower protein and grain free?
    I'll take a look and see if I can find the food I was looking at.
    I saw at least one other that looked good, I'll post if I find them again.

No sorry the food I was looking at was a very expensive one (too expensive for me).
    Are you sure its the rice he's having issues with? Its one thing my boy seems fine with, so I'm looking at the Whites food, they have a light and sensitive one. The Lamb one went down well but need to lower the protein level for both dogs.
    http://www.whites-premium.ie/sensitive-dog-food-analysis

Right so i was stressing out and couldn't decide what to give him so i let faith decide and headed to pet maina santrymun (hehe :) ) which had nothing on my hit list..next over to maxizoo and they had the Happy Dog Ireland and none of the others so grabbed a bag of that to try - at €7 more than zooplus I might add but separate times call for desparate measures! He's stinky from the RC so I hope we're lucky first time with HD - he smells like a giant nugget of RC lol! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Had a sprollie with a bad skin condition and put her on Hill Science. Expensive but it was well worth it. She couldn't/wouldn't try any of the other dry foods.

Just to update in case anyone else stumbles across this post wondering what food to try next.. :)

He took to the Happy Dog Supreme Ireland with no probs - we're almost done with mixing in the RC - at the moment we're 80:20 HD:RC. In the meantime our friends at DTI gave us some samples of the new grain free Robbies!! I was a bit worried with it being salmon and potato but it doesn't smell fishy at all - it just has the normal Robbies smell. You mix it in warm water and it looks like a bowl of mash lol :D Anyhoos he LOVED it so my plan is to switch to mix of the Happy Dog and Robbies after our hols. He'll be on crate rest again next month after his op so the Robbies will be perfect for his kongs.
    For the Happy Dog my plan was to go from Ireland (Barley, Lamb and Salmon) to Africa (Potato and Ostrich) but I may stick to the Ireland one now as it's €20 cheaper per 12kg bag and I'm going to mix it with the Robbies. :)

Advertisement