Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs for cutting hedging

Options
  • 07-09-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Ive recently moved into a new house. Its on an acre with avg 8 ft Leylandi running down both sides, with the hedge reaching 10ft in some areas. The hedge was obviously trimmed a year ago and is due another trim, with little growth on the sides but approx a foot of new growth on the top. Ive never had to have this job done before, so my question is, approx, how much should I expect to be charged if I got someone in to do the job? (how long is a piece of string??). Im just trying to budget so if I could get a rough idea I'll be in a better position to put some money aside for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Theo.Warfield

If you have the time I'd say your better off getting a hedge trimmer and a ladder would save a lot in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sorbus

I am a ALCI registered landscaper and if you live in Meath, Louth, Dublin area. I can give you a free quote for your hedge cutting. Any work is welcome at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It will need frequent cutting & it's impossible to suggest a price without seeing it. Any quote will also depend on whether you want the cuttings taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sashmo

Two or three summers back (CelticTiger era) we asked a handy man neighbour to cut our hedge. He came one Saturday morning with another guy. Its a beach hedge on 3 sides of a site one-third of a acre. We went to town came back 2 hours later it was all done. Rang the guy then to find out what we owe. He said "2". We thought "2" what. He said 200! We spent that whole afternoon picking up the cuttings and had to organise a place to dump them. Needless to say we've cut it every other year since ourselves.:pac::pac::pac:

You sure learn as you go along, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cutting a hedge is the easy part. Cleaning up is the hard part.

I had a guy cut about 50 metres of hedge a few years ago and he charged me €150 to cut, tidy and remove the mess. I now do it myself. I cut the hedge, sweep the cuttings onto the grass and use the petrol lawnmower to chop and collect the mess.

I don't think the lawnmower is best pleased with the task but hey, it's being doing the job for years.

• Advertisement

Sorry I've got to eat my words here. Mr. Sashmo just reminded me that this year we got an agricultural contractor to come with a tractor to do the hedge. The job took about an hour. He charged 30 euro! Now we had to do the inside ourselves but it was a doddle compared to having to do the whole lot.
    Personally if I had a laylandi hedge 8ft high I'd be concidering cutting it at the base!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gizajob

Sashmo - Any Chance you could pm me the number of that agricultural contractor, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

gizajob wrote: »
    Sashmo - Any Chance you could pm me the number of that agricultural contractor, thanks

Why not drop into a nearby farm and get the name of a local contractor off them.

Well Gizajob, you could be anywhere in the country so I don't know if the number would be any good to you.

Take Brian t's advice, what have you got to lose?

Advertisement