Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby boogers

Options
  • 07-09-2011 9:47am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the gross post but does anyone know the best way to clean snots out of a baby's nose?

He has a massive one stuck up there the last couple of days and it must be driving him mad :(

I don't want to be sticking cotton buds or anything up there.. I have the safety buds but they don't get up very far..

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Would something like this help? We got one in Tesco and find it does the job great. The baby isn't a fan but its over in two seconds. Worked a treat for the first few months when she constantly seemed to have a runny nose.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summer-Infant-Piece-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B000GNV0O6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yep, best way is to suction the boogie out!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks Sillysocks :) yeah that could do the trick alright.. I'll be in Tesco later, I'll have a look.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

A couple of saline drops and it'll fly out of there.

We used to find as well that when in the bath they'd all come barreling out. Gross!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Yep I use saline drops and if he doesnt sneeze it out himself we then use a plastic bulb sytinge to suction it out....got that in Boots for free!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

Rub some Vaseline on his nose then give him a bath. They always come out.....:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Snot suckers are yer only man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Few saline drops and then use the nasal aspirator. . if you get it anywhere near the bottom you can catch them with a cotton bud. . and the bath is great too ..;) I'm at that great stage now if you ask ben where's his nose the finger gets shoved as far as it will go up. . classy :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Throw them in the bath and let them sit inhaling the warm moist air and enjoy themselves otherwise. Once they come out and are lying on the changing table, gently rub a wet wipe down the side it's on and it will pop out. No fuss, no pain and no need to go sticking anything up their nose :)

I see a few people talking about letting the steam from the bath loosen them but his baths are never really warm enough to give off much steam..

I always go by the bath thermometer which indicates 'perfect' at around 37 degrees? :confused:

And he's only 8.5 months so I can't really let him splash around unfortunately, I'm still using a baby bath as it's handy to put on the kitchen table and holding him in it.

The bulb thingy seems to be working well anyway though :) cheers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

I have a little chair for the bath that my son can sit in. Here is a link to Amazon with sample but I got mine in Argos. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=baby+bath+chair&tag=googiehydra-21&index=aps&hvadid=3947414700&ref=pd_sl_16din06vo_b

It is great and relieves the pressure on your back trying to hold them in the bath.....

Thanks Chesty :) that looks like a great yoke.. might look into that.. I'll definately need to move him to the big bath soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I have an aquapod from mothercare for bath time. It was dear enough but hoping it'll last. I find it great, I often bath the baby on my own so it's great having two hands free. Only really works once baby can sit unaided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The bogie sucker is a fantastic bit of kit. You'll be amazed by what it manages to... ya know.. Produce lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MelanieB

Bought this when my 2nd was 3 months old and have never needed anything else - the sucky thing is the Biz! I bought mine from Boots in Dundrum tho - didn't know you could get it from Tescos.

sillysocks wrote: »
    I have an aquapod from mothercare for bath time. It was dear enough but hoping it'll last. I find it great, I often bath the baby on my own so it's great having two hands free. Only really works once baby can sit unaided.
    I got him one of these today :) looking forward to giving him his first 'big' bath tonight :D

Advertisement