Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannonball Run in the Leaf

• 07-09-2011 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

http://www.esb.ie/electric-cars/electric-car-news-and-events/electric-car-press-releases/ESB-ecars-powers-up-for-cannonball-run.jsp
    More than 150 supercars will participate in the Cannonball Run passing through 14 counties, stopping in Dublin, Waterford, Cork, Limerick, Westport and Kilkenny. ESB ecars will power the all electric Nissan LEAF car by plugging into charge points along the route, demonstrating that journeys in an electric car around Ireland are possible by using the charging infrastructure which is already installed.

Some people have ingrained beliefs that EV's can't do longer journeys. Good to see ESB ecars dispelling that myth. Once I have some free time I'm looking forward to doing something similar myself.

113_dervla_oflaherty.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

So all the other car will set off, the Leaf will run out of juice within a hundred miles after driving at about 70 km/h have to recharge for at least a half an hour and finally arrive two days after the rest?
    My bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Its going to be such great crack driving it in the leaf

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

So all the other car will set off, the Leaf will run out of juice within a hundred miles after driving at about 70 km/h have to recharge for at least a half an hour and finally arrive two days after the rest?
    My bet.

Their timetable is online. Are you saying it will be different from their timetable? I would be 100% certain their car has already done at least 1 dry run. I very much doubt they would take part, only to finish on the back of a flatbed truck. It is a publicity exercise for them after all.
    Friday 9th September
    Start line 10.00pm, Merrion Square
    Tour stop in Mondello, 11.00pm
    Fast charge Monasterevin, Kilkenny
    Tour stop Waterford, 2.30pm
    Fast charge Dungarvan
    Tour stop Cork, 7.00pm
    Overnight charge in Cork

Saturday 10th September
    Depart Cork and fast charge in Limerick
    Tour stop in Bunratty, 12 – 2.30
    Fast charge in Galway
    Tour stop Westport, 6.30
    Overnight charge in Westport

Sunday 11th September
    Depart Westport and fast charge in Galway
    Launch of fast charge point in Topaz Athlone, 12.00pm
    Tour stop and charge in Kinnitty, 1.30
    Finish line: Kilkenny, 5.00

Hammertime wrote: »

I'm glad we've moved on so :D Used to be you couldn't do long journeys, now we can just complain that it's not "great crack".

Anyways looking through the list of accepted cars, there are some fairly ordinary cars in there as well. The Renault Megane and Mini Cooper look fairly ordinary to my eyes. Not that I personally care either way, just pointing out you don't need to have a fossil fuel powered super car to have fun driving around Ireland.

Accepted cars

Personally I think it would be great fun to do it in an EV like the Leaf. I bet the Leaf will also draw a lot of crowd attention compared to a significant proportion of the other cars taking part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

My bet.
    :D

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    :D

Sarcasm is easy enough to miss on the interweb :) Still though, opinions like that are common enough and deeply ingrained!

I'm glad we've moved on so :D Used to be you couldn't do long journeys, now we can just complain that it's not "great crack".

Anyways looking through the list of accepted cars, there are some fairly ordinary cars in there as well. The Renault Megane and Mini Cooper look fairly ordinary to my eyes. Not that I personally care either way, just pointing out you don't need to have a fossil fuel powered super car to have fun driving around Ireland.

Accepted cars

Personally I think it would be great fun to do it in an EV like the Leaf. I bet the Leaf will also draw a lot of crowd attention compared to a significant proportion of the other cars taking part.

Call me crazy but if I'm doing the cannonball run I don't want to do it in a leaf, a micra, a double decker bus or a motor home.

Call me crazy but if I'm doing the cannonball run I don't want to do it in a leaf, a micra, a double decker bus or a motor home.

I won't call you crazy. I'll just say each to their own. What floats your boat doesn't necessarily float other peoples boats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sarcasm is easy enough to miss on the interweb :) Still though, opinions like that are common enough and deeply ingrained!
    Went straight over my head, I feel a bit stupid now!

I won't call you crazy. I'll just say each to their own. What floats your boat doesn't necessarily float other peoples boats.

I'd say about 99.9% of peoples boat would float a hell of a lot happier doing the cannonball run in something other than a leaf !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I'd say about 99.9% of peoples boat would float a hell of a lot happier doing the cannonball run in something other than a leaf !

Don't bother speaking for 99.9% of people, they/we can manage without an official spokesman thanks.

I think it would be cool doing it in the leaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

650Ginge wrote: »
    Don't bother speaking for 99.9% of people, they/we can manage without an official spokesman thanks.

Not me , i prefer the sound of an engine. Call me crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I think you're part of the 0.1% somehow, aren't you a Prius owner? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

sure their stopping every hour, hour and half. you d be quicker greener and probable more craic on a bus

Your hardly impartial now are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

They should change it from "Cannonball Run" to "Tightrope walk"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

listermint wrote: »

You could always use one of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_shlwEHubQ

Skip to 45secs in.

(I know it probably won't work with the leaf :rolleyes:)

invest4deepvalue.com

How are you more impartial? Does it even matter? You like what you like, end of!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9NqSuk5gjQ

These guys obviously got a kick out of driving 1254 km in 24 hours in a Leaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

listermint wrote: »

Yeah theres nothing I like more than the sweet purr from a 1.3 Corrolla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I think that's completely W.R.O.N.G.

Fine, do a PR stunt where you drive around Ireland in a Leaf, but including a car like that in the Cannonball Run just doesn't sit right with me.

Every car on the run should be droolworthy, fodder for a teenage boy's bedroom wall. They need to raise the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

^^^ agree

wouldnt mind it if it was one of those tesla roadsters, for example, but a leaf? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Dont mean to hijack but,
    does anyone know what route the cannonball takes?

On there site the only map they link to is this one and it isnt all that useful.
    I would like to know if it is going to go through towns or is it gonna be a complete waste and go the motorway the whole way?

Like for example that red line goes through the middle of Carlow, would be handy to take a break early on if it meant i got to see this beauty

61_diane_coleman.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Folks the Leaf wont be able to charge along route anyway because the charge points will be full of illegal parking. Knowing ESB they will drag along a big charging unit on a truck with them, ruining the idea of clean fuel.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Folks the Leaf wont be able to charge along route anyway because the charge points will be full of illegal parking. Knowing ESB they will drag along a big charging unit on a truck with them, ruining the idea of clean fuel.

All the day time charging will be done using FCP's, which are either in filling stations or Nissan dealers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

All the day time charging will be done using FCP's, which are either in filling stations or Nissan dealers.

Yup there is a full list of charging points in Ireland here

greenfly wrote: »
    Dont mean to hijack but,
    does anyone know what route the cannonball takes?

I took a screenshot of the ESB route, not sure if that helps :)

173569.jpg

I count 10 charging points operational outside Dublin.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Personally I think it would be great fun to do it in an EV like the Leaf.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Going to get everyone i know to park outside the charge point in Westport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some people have ingrained beliefs that EV's can't do longer journeys. Good to see ESB ecars dispelling that myth. Once I have some free time I'm looking forward to doing something similar myself.

I'd define longer journeys in Ireland as atleast being capable of a single journey from the east to the west coast of the country without the need for a half day refuelling/recharging operation, this is not possible right now without stopping and charging. I fear their publicity campaign with this "race" only makes the weaknesses in the car more apparent. A horse and cart would be the next slowest mode of transport on 4 wheels, would probably do Dublin to Galway in 2 days with a couple of stops for a snooze and oats along the way :D

I think you're part of the 0.1% somehow, aren't you a Prius owner? :D

Good memory, I do currently have a Prius. But I have had 27 other cars including a couple that could manage 150mph when most cars couldn't manage a 100mph, 9 different motorbikes, my current two both do over 160mph if you are stupid enough, I have a camper that only does 22mpg. I am currently looking for a 928.

I love F1, rally cars, drifting, motobike racing. So what 0.1% am I in.

I would like to know what percentage of cars on the road are Prius just outta curiousity.

I am going to say it again, a prius is not perfect and I think lots of people will not really like them but they wont hate them if they actually drove one.

Not even trying or thinking of impartiality, just hate the way people say "99.9% of people" to add weight to their own opinion, would you not have to ask every one. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I just think you should give yours and let everyone else give theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ahhh cmon, the leaf is in less glamorous company to be fair.

There is a bloody X5 going for gods sake......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Having seen the ESB use *flatbed trailers* to move their e-car fleet around due to lack of range, I'll be waiting to see the Leaf manage to lose every other car on the Run after its first stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

As a car enthusiast and a technofile I would be very happy to drive any of the competing cars including the Leaf!

• Advertisement

I'd define longer journeys in Ireland as atleast being capable of a single journey from the east to the west coast of the country without the need for a half day refuelling/recharging operation, this is not possible right now without stopping and charging. I fear their publicity campaign with this "race" only makes the weaknesses in the car more apparent. A horse and cart would be the next slowest mode of transport on 4 wheels, would probably do Dublin to Galway in 2 days with a couple of stops for a snooze and oats along the way :D

East to West? Dublin to Galway requires one 30 minute stop in Athlone. The Leaf can ingest 50 kilowatts of DC through its second larger DC port in the front.

Leaf-power-ports.jpg

Port on left is for 50kw DC input and right side is for your regular 16amp 220 volt AC.

MYOB wrote: »
    Having seen the ESB use *flatbed trailers* to move their e-car fleet around due to lack of range, I'll be waiting to see the Leaf manage to lose every other car on the Run after its first stop.

Their fleet up until now has consisted of 10+ Mitsubishi imiev cars that they imported from Japan themselves to use for testing. Those cars have less range than the Leaf and up until very recently there were no FCP's to support longer journeys. But I'm sure they probably had to move them around to support testing of slow chargers around the country.

East to West? Dublin to Galway requires one 30 minute stop in Athlone. The Leaf can ingest 50 kilowatts of DC through its second larger DC port in the front.

http://www.trix.com/GroundLoop/Leaf-power-ports.jpg

Port on left is for 50kw DC input and right side is for your regular 16amp 220 volt AC.

That still seems frustrating to me, you can get from Dublin to Galway in a touch over 2 hours now, so having to stop for 30 mins is actually a significant delay.

Realistically it'd actually cost you 45 mins+ with leaving & rejoining the motorway and the minutes lost either side of filling up.

So your over and back journey has now changed from a little over 4 hours to a little over 5.5 hours. Quite a difference.

Dublin to Galway is a journey that barely needs a bathroom break anymore, never mind a stop for a snack and a cuppa while your car recharges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

BX 19 wrote: »
    Ahhh cmon, the leaf is in less glamorous company to be fair.

There is a bloody X5 going for gods sake......

X1 would have been unforgivable.;)

It takes me 90 minutes to get from my office to Galway Airport. a 30 minute stop off in Athlone is a third of my journey time.

I can do said journey 2 to 3 times, return, on a tank of diesel that takes about 6 minutes to fill. When electric cars get within 300% of that time, let me know.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    It takes me 90 minutes to get from my office to Galway Airport. a 30 minute stop off in Athlone is a third of my journey time.

I can do said journey 2 to 3 times, return, on a tank of diesel that takes about 6 minutes to fill. When electric cars get within 300% of that time, let me know.

As it stands right now it costs me €20 to do 2100km. Let me know when petrol/diesel cars can do that ;)

-Chris- wrote: »
    That still seems frustrating to me, you can get from Dublin to Galway in a touch over 2 hours now, so having to stop for 30 mins is actually a significant delay.

Realistically it'd actually cost you 45 mins+ with leaving & rejoining the motorway and the minutes lost either side of filling up.

So your over and back journey has now changed from a little over 4 hours to a little over 5.5 hours. Quite a difference.

Dublin to Galway is a journey that barely needs a bathroom break anymore, never mind a stop for a snack and a cuppa while your car recharges.

I'm really happy for those of you with fossil fuel cars that don't need to stop once on a Dublin to Galway journey. For me it's a minor point. The big issue for me is the saving I make by owning an EV. I've previously posted my figures for July, I just checked online now for August and here is a screenshot:

173651.jpg

At the end of the day the range of the Leaf is primarily determined by the capacity of the battery, which currently stands at 24kwh. It's just a battery though, when a better one becomes available I'll be able to replace it. The US version of the BYD e6 is already packing a 60kwh battery pack. Until then I'll live with my €10 per 1050km car :)

As it stands right now it costs me €20 to do 2100km. Let me know when petrol/diesel cars can do that ;)

I'm glad you're happy with your car, and I'm not trying to knock it, I'm just giving my take on it.

You pay €20 for 2,100KM, so you'd pay roughly €3.94 for the 414KM return journey from Dublin to Galway.

The biggest selling car at the moment is the Ford Focus. 95.6% of those are in band A. 80.6% are hatchback.
    I don't know what the specific model is, but let's take the Ford Focus 5DR Zetec 1.6TDCi 115BHP. It costs €23,875 ex. works, so similar in pricing to a base-spec Leaf. It does 4.2l/100KM

For the same journey, the Focus will use 17.38 litres of diesel, costing €24.97 based on a diesel price of €1.436 per litre.

So, for this return journey from Dublin to Galway you're saved €21.03, but it's added an extra 90 mins to your journey.
    I'm not sure what you're paid, but if you're on the average industrial wage, that 90 mins is worth €31.37.

Again, I'm glad you're happy with your car, and I'm not trying to knock it, but if I was choosing a company car for MYOB I'd choose the Focus over the Leaf. Horses for courses, I guess.

There are situations where the Leaf is definitely desirable, but driving distance isn't one of them.
    That's why I think putting a Leaf on the Cannonball Run is a pointless stunt (ah-ha!! I'm not wandering wildly off-topic after all!! :P:D).

Your forgetting total cost of ownership.

I have a colleague that just took delivery of a Tesla Roadster and commutes 55km each way every day.

But hes worked out the total cost /km including the lifetime of the battery pack and the prepay option tesla have to get a discount on a future battery pack.

He worked out he's paying MORE than he did with his Audi A4 Diesel, but he gets to drive a Tesla ;)

Myself I'd go for a Volvos V60 Diesel Hybrid, I can do my short runs on Electric and my long runs to work on Diesel.

A leaf for me would leave me needing a second car.

I'm glad you're happy with your car, and I'm not trying to knock it, I'm just giving my take on it.

You pay €20 for 2,100KM, so you'd pay roughly €3.94 for the 414KM return journey from Dublin to Galway.

The biggest selling car at the moment is the Ford Focus. 95.6% of those are in band A. 80.6% are hatchback.
    I don't know what the specific model is, but let's take the Ford Focus 5DR Zetec 1.6TDCi 115BHP. It costs €23,875 ex. works, so similar in pricing to a base-spec Leaf. It does 4.2l/100KM

For the same journey, the Focus will use 17.38 litres of diesel, costing €24.97 based on a diesel price of €1.436 per litre.

So, for this return journey from Dublin to Galway you're saved €21.03, but it's added an extra 90 mins to your journey.
    I'm not sure what you're paid, but if you're on the average industrial wage, that 90 mins is worth €31.37.

Is there really any validity in comparing time spent on the road to how much u would earn if u were working. I know my employer would be mighty pissed if I decided to drive to Galway in work time. So I ain't earning any more on the road to Galway, simply spending the money I already earned. I will spend less in a leaf.

Factoring in the purchase price of a leaf means it is not cheap motoring. It is way more expensive than a regular comparable car such as the ford focus. But it is still a cool idea and functional I would love one but you cant ever justify it on price and for that reason no use to most of us unfortunately. But it is a big step forward in my opinion.

Again, I'm glad you're happy with your car, and I'm not trying to knock it, but if I was choosing a company car for MYOB I'd choose the Focus over the Leaf. Horses for courses, I guess.

There are situations where the Leaf is definitely desirable, but driving distance isn't one of them.
    That's why I think putting a Leaf on the Cannonball Run is a pointless stunt (ah-ha!! I'm not wandering wildly off-topic after all!! :P:D).

I don't do long journeys all that often (like most people). People just like the comfort factor of knowing they can do those journeys at any point. But in reality most people (not all people) don't do long journeys that often.

To me it's like this, some guy wants a 2 seater sports car and fuel economy/space isn't important. Another guy wants a 7 seater and space/economy is important. The Leaf just ticks the right boxes for me and I'm delighted other people are happy with their cars. Other people have their lists of "when the car can do XYZ come back to me" etc I'm happy they have the choice on the market to get what they want. I got what I want as well, thanks! :)

My employer values (at least when charging customers)my time at more than the fuel savings. Quite a lot more.

If in that 2100km I have to do 8 charges its "cost" the company 800 quid. 820 is vastly more than the 100 euro or so diesel costs (remember that corporates won't be paying VAT on the diesel).

Even assuming its done during time where there is no other work available for me to do (this has happened once in four and a half years, may I add) and when I'm on normal salary due to it being in working hours the actual cost in time lost is still more than the "savings". Add in the chance of putting the driver in to over hours and it starts to get painful - in real terms not even the notional costs.

An electric car would *always* cost my employer more than the fuel savings seeing as the price of electricity will go up in tandem with diesel due to us getting most of our energy from fossil.

as an aside I'd be bored senseless having to sit on a garage forecourt for half an hour to charge my car on the way to somewhere like galway, and repeat it on the way back. Add in three young kids in the car etc and your looking at a bloody nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Until these cars can be charged in an extremely short amount of time then I think it's a lost cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

as an aside I'd be bored senseless having to sit on a garage forecourt for half an hour to charge my car on the way to somewhere like galway, and repeat it on the way back. Add in three young kids in the car etc and your looking at a bloody nightmare.

I'm guessing more garages will have to cater to this,possibly a chance for money to be made? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement