Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannonball Run in the Leaf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

smash wrote: »
    Do you get a grant for that or something? Because surely my washing machine uses a lot less energy yet it costs a lot more to run!

Night rate electricity is cheaper because power stations can't be turned off at night. This means we generate a lot of electricity at night that is wasted. Hence it is offered at a lower rate to consumers. We bought these timer things (very technical I know (= ) that we plug into our socket and then plug our dryer and washing machine into. We can turn on the dryer and washing machine, but the plug timer thingy doesn't let the juice start flowing until after midnight, which is when we get cheaper night rate electricity.

The Leaf has a charging timer as well. I come home and plug my car in and it talks to the charger on my wall. But currently it is set not to draw charge from the charger until 00:10 every night. So my car uses electricity that would otherwise be wasted, increasing our efficiency and I get cheaper night rate electricity to power my car.

The car keeps track of all energy taken in and generated by itself. Using the cars built-in data connection it uploads this data online daily and you can login via portal and check for yourself how much its been costing you.

173651.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

krissovo wrote: »
    Sesshoumaru has posted plenty of evidence of the running costs, even the bloody car keeps a record of the costs. The question is pointless

The question is anything but pointless. If you get a reduced rate because of a grant then it's a false economy for short term running costs. The price of electricity is rising constantly. Once these cars become more popular the grants will disappear.

Even working out the costs based on the chart here: https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/5485/173651.jpg

At a full unit rate of 16c (March 2011 so it's more expensive now) then those 220kw would have cost €35. Not €15 as shows. It's a 50% reduction ffs.
    The Leaf has a charging timer as well. I come home and plug my car in and it talks to the charger on my wall. But currently it is set not to draw charge from the charger until 00:10 every night. So my car uses electricity that would otherwise be wasted, increasing our efficiency and I get cheaper night rate electricity to power my car.
    But disregarding the night time rate. Do you get a grant for it at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

You can try to wriggle out of it by changing "specification level" to "gizmo's or toys". However most people want those "toys" as you put it and a cars secondhand value is affected by its specification level.

You still have not answered what car you used in your comparison example?

OK, I was curious.

Skoda Octavia Greenline 1.6 TDI is 21K. It does 3.8l/100km (around 5.7c/km) and comes with similar toys (cruise, bluetooth etc.) and has a similar power output(77 kW vs 80 kW). I can't find any specs for the boot size of the Leaf, so lets assume they are comparable. Both are band A road tax.

100,000 miles in the leaf will cost 30,000 plus 223/19000*160000 = around €31,877

100,000 miles in the Greenline will cost 21,745 plus 0.57*160000 = 30,865

(based on numbers here: http://www.nissan.ie/NissanLeaf/BuyingALeaf/PricingAndRunningCosts.aspx

and here: http://www.skoda.ie/IRL/Documents/PricingAndSpecs/26July2011/Octavia_Aug2011%20DDB.pdf)

Oh, and the range of the Skoda is over 1000 miles per tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

stimpson wrote: »

A basic Octavia Greenline is a desperate spec:p

I did a similar comparison yesterday with a Golf Blue Motion, worked out that with my driving its a 3 year payback even with the leaf at €32k.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74342016&postcount=144

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This thread is hilarious, its quite shocking the lengths that people are going to to slate this car and the arguments against it are really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Its as if this electric car is a threat to peoples manhood :D

This event has opened my eyes to the possibility of owning one. It will fit my daily commute needs very well, its actually quite a good looking car and well spec'd. I would also enjoy getting one up on the tax man as I would drive past petrol stations on the way to work. I am not green or anything but I like to think I would do my bit even if its only to enjoy a petrol engined car for fun in my and my sons lifetime.

We would still have two oil based cars in the family, a 1977 VW camper so thats my green bit and large family saloon.

in all fairness while most of us are not fans of electric cars were not trying to entirely dismissing the electric car , just trying to reason as to why the ESB is trying to sell this to everybody and claim it can currently compete with any car across a range. Even car manufacturers wont do that, ive never opened a paper to see ' hey, you in the 4x4 doing mega miles towing, buy a golf instead' the esb pulled this stunt to get some publicity for electric cars and try and dispel the notion that they are no use for long range driving , the only thing they did was re-enforce that.

once enough people inside a close commute to a city(the exact people that for the last 10 years the government has been pleading with to use public transport) buy these electric cars then suddenly both the esb and the government will turn around and go 'fcuk , suddenly these charging points are costing us more money , and the people who would previously have considered the bus are now always taking their green-machines so its time to rise the price of parking and electricity for charging EV's to discourage them again'.

That coupled with the esb having to run 3 phase lines to all these DC quick chargers, the inevitability of the EV's being taxed at the same rate as the A or B cars and the one day eventually that some scummers light one of these on fire and the batteries cause an explosion that takes out the nearest 4 cars around it , then suddenly youll have every EV driver asking themselves why did I buy this, the electricity costs make a polo cheaper to fuel , the tax is the same, and my insurance is huge because of the damage if one of these goes on fire.

also a 30 minute quick charge - after the government takes away the subsidys it will probably be what, a 10er maybee , possibly more . but lets say your out in the bog arse of meath some day , theres only 1 charger, and some lads just pulled up, you have 2km left on your EV so you cant leave , so now you have to wait at a petrol station for an hour, what are you going to do for an hour ...... probably buy a coffee and a muffin , or a pack of smokes, if you have kids with you probably sweets to shut them up , so now your 10 euro has turned into 20 or more easily on things you wouldnt have bought otherwise. So you leave and set off out of there just as broke as you would have been with a polo , the diference is your time has been wasted and you know if you leave the m50 belt this will most likely happen again

The question is anything but pointless. If you get a reduced rate because of a grant then it's a false economy for short term running costs. The price of electricity is rising constantly. Once these cars become more popular the grants will disappear.

Even working out the costs based on the chart here: https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/5485/173651.jpg

At a full unit rate of 16c (March 2011 so it's more expensive now) then those 220kw would have cost €35. Not €15 as shows. It's a 50% reduction ffs.

But disregarding the night time rate. Do you get a grant for it at all?

There is no grant for home charging. If I charge it at home during the middle of the day I will pay the same rate day rate as everyone else. If I charge it at night I pay the same night rate as everyone else. DC rapid charging is currently free as is the slower on street charging.

A basic Octavia Greenline is a desperate spec:p

Just an example. You could get a top spec Octavia with 4.5l/100km for 23k

Hell, you could have a mid spec estate with 4.2l/100km for 23k.

in all fairness while most of us are not fans of electric cars were not trying to entirely dismissing the electric car , just trying to reason as to why the ESB is trying to sell this to everybody and claim it can currently compete with any car across a range. Even car manufacturers wont do that, ive never opened a paper to see ' hey, you in the 4x4 doing mega miles towing, buy a golf instead' the esb pulled this stunt to get some publicity for electric cars and try and dispel the notion that they are no use for long range driving , the only thing they did was re-enforce that.

once enough people inside a close commute to a city(the exact people that for the last 10 years the government has been pleading with to use public transport) buy these electric cars then suddenly both the esb and the government will turn around and go 'fcuk , suddenly these charging points are costing us more money , and the people who would previously have considered the bus are now always taking their green-machines so its time to rise the price of parking and electricity for charging EV's to discourage them again'.

That coupled with the esb having to run 3 phase lines to all these DC quick chargers, the inevitability of the EV's being taxed at the same rate as the A or B cars and the one day eventually that some scummers light one of these on fire and the batteries cause an explosion that takes out the nearest 4 cars around it , then suddenly youll have every EV driver asking themselves why did I buy this, the electricity costs make a polo cheaper to fuel , the tax is the same, and my insurance is huge because of the damage if one of these goes on fire.

also a 30 minute quick charge - after the government takes away the subsidys it will probably be what, a 10er maybee , possibly more . but lets say your out in the bog arse of meath some day , theres only 1 charger, and some lads just pulled up, you have 2km left on your EV so you cant leave , so now you have to wait at a petrol station for an hour, what are you going to do for an hour ...... probably buy a coffee and a muffin , or a pack of smokes, if you have kids with you probably sweets to shut them up , so now your 10 euro has turned into 20 or more easily on things you wouldnt have bought otherwise. So you leave and set off out of there just as broke as you would have been with a polo , the diference is your time has been wasted and you know if you leave the m50 belt this will most likely happen again

I think the point of the ESB publicity run was that you don't lose the capability of taking a longer journey if and when the necessity arises. I think they proved this point. I don't recall the ESB or anyone else saying EV's are suitable for regular long distance journeys.

I hate repeating myself, but currently we produce more electricity at night time than we use. In other words we waste a lot of electricity. Night time is when most EV users would charge. Can you explain how increasing efficiency by using electricity that is otherwise wasted will cost us money?

DC rapid chargers are installed in large petrol stations. These stations already have 3 phase power, that's why they're ideal for DC rapid chargers. I'm not going to debate exploding batteries again, especially your example. Scummers setting fire to a fully loaded petrol car would be dangerous as well.

The DC rapid chargers are currently free and petrol stations are not licensed to sell electricity. I do however have a RFID card from the ESB which is used for authenticating and operating the slow chargers. Eventually the DC rapid chargers will also use RFID cards. As I understand it you'll be billed for the electricity you use at the appropriate tariff for the time of day. This will appear on your home ESB/Airtricity/BG bill. I don't know where you're getting this grant stuff from?

OK, I was curious.

Skoda Octavia Greenline 1.6 TDI is 21K. It does 3.8l/100km (around 5.7c/km) and comes with similar toys (cruise, bluetooth etc.) and has a similar power output(77 kW vs 80 kW). I can't find any specs for the boot size of the Leaf, so lets assume they are comparable. Both are band A road tax.

100,000 miles in the leaf will cost 30,000 plus 223/19000*160000 = around €31,877

(based on numbers here: http://www.nissan.ie/NissanLeaf/BuyingALeaf/PricingAndRunningCosts.aspx

and here: http://www.skoda.ie/IRL/Documents/PricingAndSpecs/26July2011/Octavia_Aug2011%20DDB.pdf)

Oh, and the range of the Skoda is over 1000 miles per tank.

You're leaving out a lot of important factors. The Leaf is operating at 100% efficiency the second you hit the start button. The car in your example is using a combined figure for fuel economy that you only achieve once the engine warms up and you reach optimal operating parameters. In reality the short school run, popping out to the local newsagent etc will be trips that are undertaken when engine conditions are not optimal.

You also assume electricity and diesel stay the same price over those 160k kilometers. Diesel IMO will rise more than electricity. I posted earlier about smart grids, smart metering and the role EV's can play in those. You can look it up in this thread if you want to argue against electricity not rising as fast as diesel. Oil is finite and demand is increasing.

Another important consideration is that the Leaf has no oil, filters, spark plugs etc and because it uses regenerative braking, the brake pads will wear less. There are hundreds of moving parts in the Greenline's engine that can go wrong. In fact normally in Motors I seem to recall most posters arguing that these ultra fuel efficient diesels will have reliability issues in later years. It's ironic now that most people pick them out now as weapon against EV's :D

Speaking of super efficient diesels, don't expect the current crop to stay in the same tax band as the Leaf for much longer. There are newer diesels coming to the market soon that will have lower emissions. I would expect the government at the very least to create a new tax band that accounts for these newer super efficient diesels. There is a possibility then that EV's will get another lower tax band.

All that said, the Leaf is a way nicer car than the Octavia Greenline. It revs almost silently to over 10k RPM in a single gear transmission. That is smoothness and refinement an Octavia Greenline can't beat. I took a Greenline Superb for test drive before buying the Leaf, I'd recommend anyone arguing against the Leaf at least take the opportunity for a free test drive of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I hate repeating myself, but currently we produce more electricity at night time than we use. In other words we waste a lot of electricity. Night time is when most EV users would charge. Can you explain how increasing efficiency by using electricity that is otherwise wasted will cost us money?

This excess power is used to recharge Turlough Hill, the output from which is then fraudulently claimed to be "renewable" in our current figures.
    I'm not going to debate exploding batteries again

You never debated them in the first place, other than a "lalalala I'm not listening" to anything about the lack of safety of advanced lithium batteries.

You didn't respond to Eric's point about arriving at a station with its charger occupied either. Takes about three minutes to fill an ICE car, and stations are not going to have space for 10x the number of positions.
    The DC rapid chargers are currently free ... I don't know where you're getting this grant stuff from?

That, possibly? And that the prices quoted do not tie in with (usage x unit rates) by any means. Night rate power is not as much cheaper as you seem to believe and having the two meters costs more money - unless the ESB is subsiding that for you too? Like I assume they spent our money installing a charge point for you too.

You're leaving out a lot of important factors. The Leaf is operating at 100% efficiency the second you hit the start button. The car in your example is using a combined figure for fuel economy that you only achieve once the engine warms up and you reach optimal operating parameters. In reality the short school run, popping out to the local newsagent etc will be trips that are undertaken when engine conditions are not optimal.
    My diesel runs very close to the manufacturers specs on economy, and I work in town. I got 4.8km/l on long trips which is above the published figures.
    You also assume electricity and diesel stay the same price over those 160k kilometers. Diesel IMO will rise more than electricity. I posted earlier about smart grids, smart metering and the role EV's can play in those. You can look it up in this thread if you want to argue against electricity not rising as fast as diesel. Oil is finite and demand is increasing.

That is your opinion and has no basis in basic economics. Just because you can get it from a renewable source doesn't mean they won't charge more for it inline with what ESB are charging for electricity from non-renewables.

Oh, and electricity is going up 15% this month while the price of oil is falling.
    Another important consideration is that the Leaf has no oil, filters, spark plugs etc and because it uses regenerative braking, the brake pads will wear less. There are hundreds of moving parts in the Greenline's engine that can go wrong. In fact normally in Motors I seem to recall most posters arguing that these ultra fuel efficient diesels will have reliability issues in later years. It's ironic now that most people pick them out now as weapon against EV's :D

Opinions on Motors are just that. there is a recent thread where it has been discussed and people have posted lots of examples of modern diesels without problems. My father in law recently had the head gasket go on his 2004 citroen at 250,000 miles.

And there is still the battery issue with the Leaf, which is an unknown and could easily cost more than a DMF or DPF or turbo.
    Speaking of super efficient diesels, don't expect the current crop to stay in the same tax band as the Leaf for much longer. There are newer diesels coming to the market soon that will have lower emissions. I would expect the government at the very least to create a new tax band that accounts for these newer super efficient diesels. There is a possibility then that EV's will get another lower tax band.

That sounds like pure speculation. I'd be interested if you have a reliable source for it.
    All that said, the Leaf is a way nicer car than the Octavia Greenline. It revs almost silently to over 10k RPM in a single gear transmission. That is smoothness and refinement an Octavia Greenline can't beat. I took a Greenline Superb for test drive before buying the Leaf, I'd recommend anyone arguing against the Leaf at least take the opportunity for a free test drive of one.

I've driven the Superb myself - it's hardly agricultural. I still can't get over the range problem. I did 400km over the weekend in 3 journeys and on the return trip I had 6 in the car. I averaged 6.8l/100km over the whole trip.. On Saturday night I wouldn't have been able to charge an EV car. Even if it covered 95% of my journeys, I'm still screwed when it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

MYOB wrote: »
    This excess power is used to recharge Turlough Hill, the output from which is then fraudulently claimed to be "renewable" in our current figures.
    Pumped hydro is not counted as renewable energy. See para (30) Renewables Directive 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think the point of the ESB publicity run was that you don't lose the capability of taking a longer journey if and when the necessity arises. I think they proved this point. I don't recall the ESB or anyone else saying EV's are suitable for regular long distance journeys.
    if the necessity allows an hour or 2 of your time to be spent at petrol stations
    home charging at night is fine, but at a petrol station i would imagine most charging would be during the day and at peak use times when electricity costs more to try and keep demand down, more ev's increase demand and make the cost to produce electricity during the day higher.
    DC rapid chargers are installed in large petrol stations. These stations already have 3 phase power, that's why they're ideal for DC rapid chargers.
    I cant imagine any petrol station no matter how rural would want slow chargers, its inneficient use of forecourt space, a lot of smaller petrol stations would not have the power infrastructure to support one of these at present.
    I'm not going to debate exploding batteries again, especially your example. Scummers setting fire to a fully loaded petrol car would be dangerous as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0sDe-MuBt0&feature=related - li-ion battery in a fire , also petrol and petrol tanks dont explode because of minor manufacturing issues , a petrol tank either leaks or it doesnt , and if its leaking its easy to spot on your driveway , a lithium ion cell can seem just fine , then out of nowhere just explode, even laptops turned off in bags have been known to explode.
    The DC rapid chargers are currently free and petrol stations are not licensed to sell electricity. I do however have a RFID card from the ESB which is used for authenticating and operating the slow chargers. Eventually the DC rapid chargers will also use RFID cards. As I understand it you'll be billed for the electricity you use at the appropriate tariff for the time of day. This will appear on your home ESB/Airtricity/BG bill. I don't know where you're getting this grant stuff from?
    yes , currently , even if it is affixed to your bill , id say it will easily get to 30c/kwh at peak times in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you run out of juice on the m50 can you get the aa or a friend to bring you a fiver worth of electricity? If you leave the leaf in the airport long term car park will the charge be the same as you left it or will it deteriorate? And when these pumps aren't free at petrol stations any more, how much will it cos to charge it do you think? Especially with rising electricity costs.

Lastly, don't expect ev to have a low tax band for long. If people start to switch, then the government will want money from somewhere.

I've always been of the opinion that electric is not the future, we as a race need to concentrate on fuels like hydrogen and learn how to produce them cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I could give you lots of reasons as to why I bought it. I'm not a climate hippy or anything, but from a scientific standpoint the debate over human induced climate warming is over. A couple of nutjob "scientists" out of 10's of thousands of scientists worldwide don't count as a credible opposition to man made climate change theory.

Higher on the priority list for me personally are geopolitical reasons like not supporting despotic oil producing regimes. Along with the sure knowledge that as BRIC countries develop there will be massive demand for more cars and hence more oil. You can't argue with two basic facts, oil is a finite resource and demand for oil is increasing.

Taking both of those together I still wouldn't have bought the car if I thought it would actually cost me more in the long run compared to a similar size and spec of ICE car.

I intend to keep it for a minimum of 5 years, but 10 years is the goal.

The battery pack in my car contains 4kg of lithium. If future battery packs are still using some lithium based technology, my pack will still be worth a good bit of money (trade in value). So my plan is to get a new battery pack for the car in 3 to 5 years time. But only because I would like to utilise a larger capacity pack to extend the range of the car. The new battery pack would have to be 48 kilowatt hours or greater to justify upgrading IMO.

Plan B would be to have the battery pack refurbished in Sunderland whenever the capacity drops to 80% of original. You'll get conflicting opinions on when the batteries capacity will fall to 80%, however RAV4 EV's in the US have been easily getting over 150,000 miles on original battery packs without serious degradation. Each Leaf has a built-in internet connection as well, so Nissan is constantly monitoring the health of each of the 48 cells in my battery pack. Same for every other Leaf in the world, they've stated a private Leaf in Tokyo has done over 10,000 miles with 326 DC fast cahrges and battery capacity is still 100%. So I'm confident about the longevity of the battery pack in my car.

Ok that's fair enough.

Personally I have little interest in the geopolitical reasons for buying an electric car over an ICE car.

In time I may well end up buying an electric car (or maybe a hydrogen car) once it makes sense for me. If something like the Tesla became viable then I'd consider it. The Tesla seems to come with a 300 mile range which would make it fine.

It'll be interesting to see how the batteries evolve over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you leave the leaf in the airport long term car park will the charge be the same as you left it or will it deteriorate?

There's (two) chargers in, wait for it.... the short term car parks. Great planning, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

I have been following this thread and the cannonball run leaf with some interest. While I would agree that it may not be seen by some to be appropriate to have an ev in the run , I reckon that it did some good to demonstrate the car and garner some public interest. Let me start out by saying that I am not here to evangalise people on the merits of electric cars. Its not my place to do so and I would not want someone doing it to me if the shoe was on the other foot. What I would like to do however is clarify a few points raised by previous posters. I apologise if this gets a bit techy as this is a motors forum not a battery forum but I don't think people would be upset if I was describing rebuilding an SU carb on here:) And batteries are now "car parts" in some places so here goes.

The Nissan Leaf uses a Lithium Manganeese Spinal cell. Now while this is an oxide chemistry it is not nearly as touchy as the cobalt oxide or polymer cells used in laptops and other consumer devices where having the most energy in the least amount of space is paramount. Each cell is monitored by a battery managment system. If even one cell thinks about having a bad hair day then the traction system is shut down. Ignoring all of that lets look at what causes a lithium chemistry cell to flame or explode. In my experience (and I do mean experience. Not just reading some hearsay on the web) there are two main culprits. Extreme overcharge and piercing by a conductive object. Overcharge is easy to prevent. Conductive object piercing is a bit more difficult but can be avoided by careful pack design which I'm sure Nissan and others have taken into account. Cell level mechanical safety devices such as rupture discs etc are the last and most effective safety element as can be seen from the pictures linked below. I have sledgehammered , driven over , overcharged , overdischarged , microwaved , oven baked , frozen , shot with a nail gun , short circuited ,hacksawed , immersed in acid and probablly a dozen other things i can't think of to every available lithium cell that I could get my hands on to date. I learnt a lot in the process. In the end I choose Lithium Iron Phosphate cells for my car. While not as energy dense as manganese or cobalt , they more than make up for it with a benign nature and cyclic life in excess of 5000 cycles to 70% depty of discharge before reaching 80% capacity. My traction battery is comprised of 192 of these little guys and yes I have slept in the car while it was on charge:eek: Here is a little summary of test results and just what happens when your really mean to them : http://www.evbmw.com/headway.htm

Some oems are now looking seriously at phosphate cathode cells as opposed to manganese for these very reasons. A modern ev traction battery is at least as safe as , if not more so , than a regular car's fuel tank.

Finally , and i have mentioned this before , it is not a fair comparisson to quote tailpipe emissions of an ice car against an ev fueled by a coal buring (or other) power plant. In the US it is estimated to require something in the region of 7.5kWh of electricity to refine one gallon of automotive petrol fuel. So that gallon of petrol is already pre loaded with CO2 before it even enters a cylinder! Here is an interesting statistic. The best efficeincy I ever achieved in my car was on a run out of dublin city center to my home in greystones. I averaged 227wh/mile. That 7.5kwh would have moved the car over 33 miles. I don't know the mpg of a '96 E36 but I doubt its much over 30!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I think it's ironic you talk about triumphant evangelicalism when a significant proportion of peoples reactions to a Leaf are to trumpet how far their ICE cars can travel on one fill and how quickly they can be refilled etc In fact your own post was like this.

I never came back on this because...well frankly because I getting a bit bored of all the point scoring and stubbornness.

I don't think anybody is 'trumpeting' about how quickly their car re-fuels:pac:!! It's something we take pretty much for granted. Any situation where you have to spend x number of HOURS re-charging or topping up is a pretty fecking retrograde step IMO.

Another thing - the fact that a semi-state like the ESB are flogging this so hard makes me a bit uncomfortable TBH. I know fuel prices fluctuate and historically shortages are not an impossibility but I don't fancy being any more reliant on Brendan Ogle and his bunch of (well paid) merry men than I have to be.

I just don't get why you're so hung up on this EV thing anyway. You've not once (I think) mentioned any strongly held green/environmental reasons. Is is purely for the thrill of hypermiling?

Even if if the Leaf and it's ilk are the next iPhone 1 rather than Betamax I don't see the point in being an early adopter (apart from trying to triumphantly evangelicalise us poor, misinformed ICE heads:D) .
    This is the motoring forum right? I think my car is awesome! Is that any different to anyone else on motors? Can you honestly say your post doesn't smack of "I'm right and you're wrong" triumpihilism? or you think of me differently from the thousands of other people on motors because the car I like and think is awesome, happens to be an EV?

You really think the Motors forum is about each of us coming on to boast how 'awesome' our cars are:o? The best and most regular contributors here barely ever refer to their own cars (apart from a few Skoda drivers).

Look, if you're happy with your Leaf fair dues. I'll be sticking with the boring old ICE until something better comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I think the point of the ESB publicity run was that you don't lose the capability of taking a longer journey if and when the necessity arises.

If the necessity arose to undertake an unplanned longer journey (e.g a family emergency on the opposite side of the country) I wouldn't fancy having to make a pitstop of at least 30 mins halfway there just to recharge isn't practical

On another note, that wasn't you parked up in the retail park in Carrickmines on Saturday (black 11D Leaf), by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

On another note, that wasn't you parked up in the retail park in Carrickmines on Saturday (black 11D Leaf), by any chance?

I think his is black alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

1. The polo has hundreds of moving parts in its engine that wear out. Electric motors have 3 to 5 moving parts.

Transistors and Switches wear out, electrics in Cars fail, with the whole car being electric parts can fail also, motors can wear out, bearings can fail, switches can break, wires can fray. Otherwise IBM, Siemens, ASML and Flextronics would never have anything in rework or returns.
    2. You'll have to provide some figures to back up your claim. You have to account for the energy used to extract oil from the ground/seabed, transport it, refine it and transport it again (possibly several times) before it ever gets inside a fuel tank of any ICE vehicle. I can also if I choose to power my leaf as Gerry Wrixon has done down in Cork:

Not really, you still have to extract Gas from the ground and transport it via Pipeline, actually the Coal fired plants are even worse since you use more energy the deeper you go.

It is also possible to sign up with Airtricity and only purchase energy from renewable sources.

Good one there, not how the grid works i'm afraid.
    TSO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_system_operator) tells the the non renewable operators how much energy to generate to make up the peak power short fall for when the wind isn't blowing.

Unless you have a personal Windfarm out the back your not getting Wind power out the wire.

You need non renewable energy to account for every mw/h you generate on renewable. Hence why gas fired turbine is the choice in Ireland, starts up very quickly to satisfy peak power needs.
    3. Firstly why do I need to replace it? Why can't it simply be refurbished in Sunderland to bring it back to 100% capacity if I need it? The battery pack doesn't stop working either, it will simply gradually reduce in capacity.

Bit of an assumption/wishful thinking there.
    Batteries are consumable items, this has been the case always for a very long time.

* 14% of our electricity currently comes from renewables. 40% is our target by 2020.

Capacity .... very big difference, not consumption. When the Wind isn't blowing you need to supplement the grid with Gas Fired Turbine. If the wind isn't blowing what are they supposed to do, do a wind dance ?
    * All manufacturing currently has an environmental cost. To suggest we stop producing new cars and rely on our existing stock of cars (ICE or EV) is not a practical option. ICE cars especially have hundreds of moving parts in their engines, these wear and maintenance costs will increase over time as you get to replacing the expensive parts of a drive system.

Again, Electronic Items are also prone to failure, just like mechanical, everything has a Duty Cycle.
    * You say disposal, I say recycle or reuse. A 24kwh battery pack that still has 80% capacity has many potential uses in industry or perhaps as storage for renewables. It also still contains 4kg of lithium, so no Leaf battery pack is ever going to end on the scrap heap, it will be completely recycled to extract the rare earth minerals from it.

Aluminum is recyclable but everything has an energy cost.
    People could also keep their old battery packs and use them as part of an investment in a home photovoltaic system. People currently only go for water heating solar panels because the energy (heat) can be stored in your immersion tank. The battery pack from a Leaf could do the same job for a home photovoltaic solar panel system. The Leaf has already been demonstrated to power your home and a commercial product for this is due out early next year from Nissan.

This is more suitable for hot countries, but again this is wishful thinking, I thought you were going to send them back to the Manufacturer for some rebate/recycle/reuse scheme (which i do not believe Nissan have announced)

You can't just lash on a load of intelligent batteries to a Solar Panel array. Even then you'd need a DC - AC Converter unless you were running a seperate circuit in your house for DC Devices only.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/williampentland/2011/08/05/nissan-leaf-to-power-homes/

The ESB is investing in smart metering for all homes and a smart grid. These battery packs can be charging at night helping to improve our energy efficiency and then during the day helping to meet peak demand.

You writing them off as a liability is not correct. Those packs could still be money earners in the second half of their lives.

Absolutely cracked, cannot just plug in DC to an AC Supply, why the hell would I invest a load of money for a UPS in my house ???
    * Everything has a manufacturing cost. I'm not trying to prove now or previously that the Leaf has no impact on the environment. If you're saying it has a significantly higher environmental impact compared to a similar spec and size ICE car, I'd ask you to prove it?

http://environment.about.com/od/environmentfriendlyautos/a/new_old_cars.htm
    The Environmental Cost of Hybrids and Electric Cars
    And don’t forget that the new hybrids—despite lower emissions and better gas mileage—actually have a much larger environmental impact in their manufacture, compared to non-hybrids. The batteries that store energy for the drive train are no friend to the environment—and having two engines under one hood increases manufacturing emissions. And all-electric vehicles are only emission-free if the outlet providing the juice is connected to a renewable energy source, not a coal-burning power plant, as is more likely.
    * You'll have to clarify when you think the batteries will need to be replaced and why? I've already stated they don't simply stop working some day. You gradually lose capacity. You'll also have to give me a reason why an EV owner wouldn't simply refurbish instead of purchase a new one? I also have to ask you to justify that the electrics are far more complicated?

If this was the case, Laptop manufacturers would be 'refurbishing' batteries on a massive scale and reselling them, manufacturers are always cagey about stating any sort of figures around Duty Cycles.
    5. I simply don't agree with your opinion. I also accept it's unlikely I'll be able to sway your opinion. So all I'll say is lets pick this up in 5 years time. Good or bad I'll let people know how I got on.

Besides all this i'm agreeing with you, Electric cars are a great step forward from a technology perspective.

However posting a cost per kw hr and how much 'cleaner' it is, is just wrong. Come back in 5 years and tell us the real cost.

Similarly I do not take my monthly cost on Diesel and say thats how much it costs me to run my car.

Although the Petrol/Diesel brigade have been having the Cost of Fuel vs the DPF/DMF/Turbo argument for ages.

Its not a dig at you personally, I'd have an electric car tomorrow, but at the moment a car that runs on CNG is Cleaner and more efficient than an electric car:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/opel/2008-opel-zafira-16-cng-ar57543.html

Simply because rather than having to burn the Gas to fire the turbine it goes straight into the car.

End of the day this Electric car roll-out is just a new flavor of the decade, hopefully it'll take off, but LPG and CNG have been around on the continent for ages and work away just find with 10 times lower emissions and less than half the cost of Diesel.

Remember as well that to support electric cars, you need massive Grid investment, you do not need this for CNG or LPG Cars.

And as well, electricity is just as vulnerable to price changes as fossil fuels as they are run by fossil fuels.

Anyways, Environmentally I think I can contribute allot more by saving energy (turning off lights, double glazing, smart meter, turning off electronic devices, putting on a jumper instead of turning on the heating) and it saves money ! Rather than going out and blowing a wad of cash on a brand new leaf and then blowing another wad of cash on batteries in 5 years time.

And having to spend another wad on a second car to have so we can drive from Cork/Dublin without having to hang around for half an hour each way and try to find a charging point thats actually there .. or available, bit of a wait if theres 3 people in the queue.

Transistors and

*snip*

I will respond to everything you posted, just not right now. I don't have the time currently. You'll have to understand I'm just one guy with an EV against what seems like all of Motors sometimes :D But for now I can assure you I read all of your post and I know mostly what I want to say in reply. But I do want to point out something.

I've already mentioned previously being part of a small semi formal EV lobby group. We've spoken with various state entities and I can at least relay to you that technology like this:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/03/nissans-leaf-to-home-system-sends-power-back-to-your-house-or/

is definitely on the agenda, along with smart metering and investing in a smart grid for Ireland, all things I mentioned in posts on this thread. These all tie in together with why I think EV's will be successful and the greater role they will play. I'm not sure you're looking at the details of my posts as closely as I think they deserve :)

In your post you questioned solar arrays in Ireland yet I did link to an article in the IT about Prof Gerry Wrixon in Cork using a solar array to power his personal Leaf. He has done it and talked about it.

You also questioned DC to AC for your home and mentioned a separate DC circuit, but you wouldn't have said this if you had read what I posted I think? I think instead you would have questioned the usefulness of this technology from the Japanese manufacturers:

http://www.tokyotimes.jp/post/en/2236/Mitsubishi+Nissan+and+Toyota+to+power+homes.html

Anyways I'm thinking maybe I'll put my neck on the line and go to a Motors meetup :D Could I survive the slagging? Maybe!

pburns wrote: »
    I never came back on this because...well frankly because I getting a bit bored of all the point scoring and stubbornness.

I don't think anybody is 'trumpeting' about how quickly their car re-fuels:pac:!! It's something we take pretty much for granted. Any situation where you have to spend x number of HOURS re-charging or topping up is a pretty fecking retrograde step IMO.

Another thing - the fact that a semi-state like the ESB are flogging this so hard makes me a bit uncomfortable TBH. I know fuel prices fluctuate and historically shortages are not an impossibility but I don't fancy being any more reliant on Brendan Ogle and his bunch of (well paid) merry men than I have to be.

I just don't get why you're so hung up on this EV thing anyway. You've not once (I think) mentioned any strongly held green/environmental reasons. Is is purely for the thrill of hypermiling?

Even if if the Leaf and it's ilk are the next iPhone 1 rather than Betamax I don't see the point in being an early adopter (apart from trying to triumphantly evangelicalise us poor, misinformed ICE heads:D) .

You really think the Motors forum is about each of us coming on to boast how 'awesome' our cars are:o? The best and most regular contributors here barely ever refer to their own cars (apart from a few Skoda drivers).

Look, if you're happy with your Leaf fair dues. I'll be sticking with the boring old ICE until something better comes along.

I work in IT and so does my wife. We're both IT professionals and for sure part of the reason is it's a very cool high tech gadget for us. I have to stress though that is only part of the reason. I can also tell you that a lot of the people I've met who own Leafs are also IT professionals. So I don't mind admitting there is at least a small element of gadget love there for some owners. Not everyone who has a Leaf works in IT or has a technical background.

You're also right about the environmental part, I'm not a green crusader. But I'm not a climate change skeptic either. I also consider myself a realist when it comes to oil supply. Oil is finite and countries like China, India and Brasil want more and more of it. When I think about everyone in those countries having an oil powered car, I mean what will that do to the price of oil? The population of the EU is half a billion roughly right? India and China alone are over 4 times our population. Our population level is declining and developing countries are still increasing. Oil is finite and running out, how can it not be when supply is finite and demand is increasing?

I think you're being too hard on me as well. You'll have to admit I've come up against strong emotive opposition to EV's on Motors. I'm not really into going around saying how great my car is. But I do understand a little bit how Skoda owners feel about the constant online slagging :) Out in the real world when people come up to you they haven't as of yet said "your car is sh1t". They're mostly curious and just want to ask questions.

I've said it before and I'll say it a million times again. I won't try to ram an EV down someones throat. If you or anyone else is happy with ICE, then I'm happy for you. For me IMO an EV is the next logical step. I'm not an all wise and all knowing oracle, so I'm happy enough to admit I could be wrong. I just don't think I am.

If the necessity arose to undertake an unplanned longer journey (e.g a family emergency on the opposite side of the country) I wouldn't fancy having to make a pitstop of at least 30 mins halfway there just to recharge isn't practical

At the end of the day anyone can think of hypothetical situations to argue against anything. I mean what do people who don't have/can't afford a car do when they have a family emergency?

I don't think it was me you saw, although my car is black and an 11D reg.

Shane732 wrote: »
    Ok that's fair enough.

Personally I have little interest in the geopolitical reasons for buying an electric car over an ICE car.

In time I may well end up buying an electric car (or maybe a hydrogen car) once it makes sense for me. If something like the Tesla became viable then I'd consider it. The Tesla seems to come with a 300 mile range which would make it fine.

It'll be interesting to see how the batteries evolve over time.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

This new model might be more up your street.

There are some very valid points coming out now and I appreciate theses comments.

The most interesting points are at what stage will the Government/ESB stop supporting/promoting EV's and start seeing them as a revenue stream? Right now a Leaf is beneficial for me as it will break even in 3 years however if the government change their strategy and start increasing road tax or taxing the electricity then it clearly will not. I dont think it will be in the next 5 years so I would be willing to gamble.

ESB are an interesting entity here, they will for business reasons plug an electric car as they will be selling electricity round the clock. They will have more profits and less waste electricity due to the night save rate, its a win win for them as sometime in the future they will effectively become a monopoly for energy both at home and on the road..

I will be test driving a Leaf this week as I do think in my circumstances it will be a good fit for me. I also have a plan on how to dispose of it in 5 or 7 years time, hopefully by then someone will have succeeded in doing a transplant of components into a classic car, I fancy a beetle or even my own VW camper.

If you run out of juice on the m50 can you get the aa or a friend to bring you a fiver worth of electricity? If you leave the leaf in the airport long term car park will the charge be the same as you left it or will it deteriorate? And when these pumps aren't free at petrol stations any more, how much will it cos to charge it do you think? Especially with rising electricity costs.

Lastly, don't expect ev to have a low tax band for long. If people start to switch, then the government will want money from somewhere.

I've always been of the opinion that electric is not the future, we as a race need to concentrate on fuels like hydrogen and learn how to produce them cheaper.

http://www.gizmag.com/roadside-service-vehicle-for-electric-vehicles/18856/

In the US enterprising private companies have even strapped a regular DC charger onto the back of a flatbed :D

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/07/carscom-field-trial-mobile-ev-quick-charging-.html

6a00d83451b3c669e20153902f7224970b-800wi

6a00d83451b3c669e201543402cb9a970c-800wi

No one knows what the price will be when DC stations are no longer free. It's not a big deal for me though, as it's been rare that I've had an actual need to use one. I have heard some suggestions on what the likes of Topaz are considering. I'll mention them if you're really interested?

I think you're being too hard on me as well. You'll have to admit I've come up against strong emotive opposition to EV's on Motors. I'm not really into going around saying how great my car is. But I do understand a little bit how Skoda owners feel about the constant online slagging :) Out in the real world when people come up to you they haven't as of yet said "your car is sh1t". They're mostly curious and just want to ask questions.

I usually listen to what's being said on Motors and do the exact opposite. Most peoples opinions on here are recycled Clarksonisms and regardless what your car, someone will take a dislike to it. I can see the logic in much of what you're saying, but some of it seems to be wishful thinking regarding the cost to replace the battery and the potential for future battery development.

I'd love an electric car. I really would. Most of my driving is commuting into town so I should be the target market. Unfortunately, at the moment it just doesn't make sense. For the same purchase price as the Leaf I bought a 7 seater 2L diesel that will suit my needs 100% of the time.

If I could get a basic spec electric car (ie. reasonably comfortable with aircon and 4 seats) for 10 - 15K with the same performance and limitations as the Leaf then I could justify it as a second car. But I think it will be a long time before that happens.

If I do go for a second car I would consider something like the original Honda Insight, invest in a second battery pack and swap batteries at night. Much of the benefits of electric, but without the range issues.

I usually listen to what's being said on Motors and do the exact opposite. Most peoples opinions on here are recycled Clarksonisms and regardless what your car, someone will take a dislike to it. I can see the logic in much of what you're saying, but some of it seems to be wishful thinking regarding the cost to replace the battery and the potential for future battery development.

I'd love an electric car. I really would. Most of my driving is commuting into town so I should be the target market. Unfortunately, at the moment it just doesn't make sense. For the same purchase price as the Leaf I bought a 7 seater 2L diesel that will suit my needs 100% of the time.

If I could get a basic spec electric car (ie. reasonably comfortable with aircon and 4 seats) for 10 - 15K with the same performance and limitations as the Leaf then I could justify it as a second car. But I think it will be a long time before that happens.

If I do go for a second car I would consider something like the original Honda Insight, invest in a second battery pack and swap batteries at night. Much of the benefits of electric, but without the range issues.

I hear you, I guess time will tell whether I am being too optimistic on the battery technology front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

It will be interesting to see what the cost of charging will be. AFAIK it is illegal to sell on electricity at a higher price than the unit price. Even though, my local marina somehow manages to charge electricity at three times the unit price!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

eagerv wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what the cost of charging will be. AFAIK it is illegal to sell on electricity at a higher price than the unit price. Even though, my local marina somehow manages to charge electricity at three times the unit price!
    ESB charges domestic customers 16c inc VAT for a KW-hour of electricity. Leaf holds 24KW-hours. So does that mean that a full charge is €3.84c ?

Margins on petrol/diesel are slim. If the customer has to wait around 20-30 mins, I imagine the petrol station is hoping to make more money from the latte and sandwiches.

I think there are some service station owners here who could tell us whether any money is made from fuel sales in comparison with shop sales.

I understand that the fast charging machines cost about €6k

Also in trials it seems people only rarely visit charging stations and prefer to charge at home.

dynamick wrote: »

I think there are some service station owners here who could tell us whether any money is made from fuel sales in comparison with shop sales.

I wouldn't believe it. Some of the cheapest fuel around my way is from automated credit card only stations which have no shop.

dynamick wrote: »
    ESB charges domestic customers 16c inc VAT for a KW-hour of electricity. Leaf holds 24KW-hours. So does that mean that a full charge is €3.84c ?

Margins on petrol/diesel are slim. If the customer has to wait around 20-30 mins, I imagine the petrol station is hoping to make more money from the latte and sandwiches.

I understand that the fast charging machines cost about €6k

Also in trials it seems people only rarely visit charging stations and prefer to charge at home.

It was mentioned to me the idea of prepaid vouchers to use the DC fast chargers. Drink + sandwich + charge for X amount. Makes sense when you think you need a license to sell electricity.

I will respond to everything you posted, just not right now. I don't have the time currently. You'll have to understand I'm just one guy with an EV against what seems like all of Motors sometimes :D But for now I can assure you I read all of your post and I know mostly what I want to say in reply. But I do want to point out something.

I've already mentioned previously being part of a small semi formal EV lobby group. We've spoken with various state entities and I can at least relay to you that technology like this:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/03/nissans-leaf-to-home-system-sends-power-back-to-your-house-or/
    is definitely on the agenda, along with smart metering and investing in a smart grid for Ireland, all things I mentioned in posts on this thread. These all tie in together with why I think EV's will be successful and the greater role they will play. I'm not sure you're looking at the details of my posts as closely as I think they deserve :)

Yes, I read engadget as well, but Engadget didn't report the whole story and how this idea came about:

http://gas2.org/2011/08/03/the-nissan-leaf-electric-car-backup-home-power-generator/
    After the March 11th earthquake and tsunami shook northeasternJapan, many people were left without power or gasoline for days on end. Then stories emerged about people who used their hybrid and electric cars to power the base necessities that helped them survive. Automakers were quick to jump on board, and the idea obviously has some merit. Whether it is just a brief power outage or a massive natural disaster, the ability to plug your home into your car adds a whole new level of versatility to electric cars.

Why would you want to 'sell' power back to the grid from an Electric car ? Wouldn't you need the car charged to go places ?

When have we had a natural disaster in Ireland ?
    In your post you questioned solar arrays in Ireland yet I did link to an article in the IT about Prof Gerry Wrixon in Cork using a solar array to power his personal Leaf. He has done it and talked about it.

Solar Panels are expensive, I'm not disputing that they work, just that they're suited more to Hot Countries, theres a Government grant available here in the Netherlands (as I'm sure there is in Ireland) but the initial cost of investment is quite high to merit the sporadic effective output of the panels during three/four months of the year.
    You also questioned DC to AC for your home and mentioned a separate DC circuit, but you wouldn't have said this if you had read what I posted I think? I think instead you would have questioned the usefulness of this technology from the Japanese manufacturers:

I'm not saying it impossible, UPS Technology has been around for years, its expensive and I certainly wouldn't want to use Duty cycles on my electric car to power my house on Night Saver electricity.

http://www.tokyotimes.jp/post/en/2236/Mitsubishi+Nissan+and+Toyota+to+power+homes.html

The powering homes idea is for Japan becuase they are in a Natural Disaster Scenario with power shortages around the country.

You might be a big advocate of EV, I am an advocate of Alternative Energy sources. I would say Natural Gas is the best stepping stone used directly in the car, then you can use European Gas stores. to power vehicles.

Powering your Car with Electricity from Gas/Coal is not Environmentally friendly, infact the whole rollout of EV in Germany has been stalled by the Government announcement surrounding closure of the RWE and E.ON Nuclear Power Plants since the disaster in Japan (Although I guess they will probably do a U-Turn at some stage when they are not looking for votes)

And as I said, you need 1 mWh for every 1 mWh on Renewable, besides, Wind Power as an example wouldnt exist without Government subsidies anyway.

Again my main points are:

1. The cost per km is the cost of electricity + the cost of the battery as a consumable item per Kilometer, you cannot tell us this cost becuase nobody knows yet what the cost is.

2. The enviromental cost is higher than is advertised.

3. The cost of wholesale Electricity is no less volatile than the cost of Fossil Fuels, since Irelands power generation comes from Fossil Fuels, price is increasing quite soon I believe.

While Ireland is powered by Gas, Coal and Imported power, Electric cars aren't very Feasible. As you have said it doesn't suit allot of people, this to me would say it will be very hard for it to hit critical mass to have wide area availability of charging infrastructure.

Again as I said, technically great, IMO wrong country for it. Should have went with CNG/LPG first.

I dont get the point that in Ireland they make no sense. If you use the night rate to charge the car then does it matter how the electricity is generated?

Also we may not suffer from many natural disasters but we do have power cuts and are reliant on foreign energy. This would make the car very useful for black/brown outs if it can give back and power boilers and essential lighting in the home. Could be whole new nice market of survivalists.

I see the only real valid arguments are the relatively unknown situation with batteries and when these will get taxed normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

BX 19 wrote: »
    Ahhh cmon, the leaf is in less glamorous company to be fair.

There is a bloody X5 going for gods sake......

Erm one is a proper car/suv the other is a toy

BMW X5 4.8 M sport (07 on)
    • 350 HP
    • 475 Nm torque
    • 0-60 in 6.3s
    • 150 mph (limited)
    • 414 kW
    Nissan Leaf
    • 110 HP
    • torque??
    • 0-60 in a millennium?
    • 93 mph
    • 23 kW battery

Yeh why dont you compare apples and oranges next time mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I wouldn't believe it. Some of the cheapest fuel around my way is from automated credit card only stations which have no shop.

completely agree...there's been a few petrol stations who "expanded" into having a shop and petrol/diesel went up in all of them near me.
    For instance in Clarina, the station there was always one cent cheaper than the station in kildimo (which had a shop).
    Once Clarina expanded they're now the exact same price every price change.
    And so on with other stations.

I dont get the point that in Ireland they make no sense. If you use the night rate to charge the car then does it matter how the electricity is generated?

Also we may not suffer from many natural disasters but we do have power cuts and are reliant on foreign energy. This would make the car very useful for black/brown outs if it can give back and power boilers and essential lighting in the home. Could be whole new nice market of survivalists.

If you have frequent blackouts/brownouts then the Grid would not be a reliable source for charging your electric car in the first place.

I can only remember 3 power cuts in 10 years living in Cork

I can only remember 3 power cuts in 10 years living in Cork

3 in the last month if you were in the Fermoy area ;)

• Advertisement

3 in the last month if you were in the Fermoy area ;)

Fermoy ... someone digging up power lines :D ???

IMO Far Worse if you lose water, I could go without electricity for weeks, could only last a few days without water.

Is it me or does it look like anyone can just steal that cable, these cars would work out great in the some parts of Dublin (ahem)

btw had a powercut this morning, time to invest in UPS before my computer breaks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

df_h wrote: »
    Is it me or does it look like anyone can just steal that cable, these cars would work out great in the some parts of Dublin (ahem)

They are defiantly going have to put some keypad lock plug covers on both the cars and the chargers.

Also what happens if someone, or another car gets caught up in the loose cabling ? Do you end up with an insurance claim ? and potentially an exposed live cable lying about at public level ?

@keithclancy

You would sell electricity back to the grid because your car would be part of a smart grid the ESB are planning on investing in.

http://www.smartgrid.epri.com/Demo.aspx

SmartGrid-graphic.jpg

http://www.smartgrid.epri.com/doc/1020598%20ESB%20Smart%20Grid%20Project%20Overview.pdf

174271.jpg

Smart metering has already been installed in some homes in Ireland.

I linked to the story on the Nissan/Mitsubishi/Toyota home charger that allows you to run your home from your car to demonstrate that linking your EV to a smart grid is not wishful thinking.

I think you missed the main thrust of my argument. That is smart grid and what I feel are inevitable improvements considering the money now flowing into EV battery research and manufacturing

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10303477-54.html

Your link about the environmental costs of EV's was more about the environmental cost of hybrids.

http://environment.about.com/od/environmentfriendlyautos/a/new_old_cars.htm
    And don’t forget that the new hybrids—despite lower emissions and better gas mileage—actually have a much larger environmental impact in their manufacture, compared to non-hybrids. The batteries that store energy for the drive train are no friend to the environment—and having two engines under one hood increases manufacturing emissions. And all-electric vehicles are only emission-free if the outlet providing the juice is connected to a renewable energy source, not a coal-burning power plant, as is more likely.

The part I've highlighted, my reading of this is that they are talking about hybrids here. The bottom part about EV's I already know. Nobody is saying they are 100% clean. However they do get greener as the power supply gets greener. How dirty are they currently? MIT have done a well to wheel analysis.

http://web.mit.edu/evt/summary_wtw.pdf

By the way as a smart grid advocate, I'm all for diversification. I honestly don't know a whole lot about the pros and cons of LPG. For me it's still a fossil fuel, but perhaps it is one we could utilise within Europe? I'm also all for stepping stones onto greater things. I don't think anyone wants to be discussing the price of a litre of petrol/diesel in the next century.

btw had a powercut this morning, time to invest in UPS before my computer breaks :(

The cable automatically locks on the charger side. On the car side it can be locked using a physical lock. Of course with enough force you could rip it off, not without doing serious damage to both car and charger. Best of luck to those who want to play with electricity :)

I'm moving my insurance policy to Zurich soon as they have a special EV policy that covers theft of the cable.

Hiace. wrote: »
    They are defiantly going have to put some keypad lock plug covers on both the cars and the chargers.

Also what happens if someone, or another car gets caught up in the loose cabling ? Do you end up with an exposed live cable lying about ?

The ESB send you an RFID card, the chargers won;t open unless you have one.

The charger and the car negotiate with each other, neither are dumb. The charger won't send power to the car unless the car is requesting it, so ifthe cable is broken there should be no power flowing as the car and charger can no longer talk to each other.

• Advertisement

ever since the builders all got rid of them in the 'recession' theyre back to being a luxury

and in that time youd have to make 10-15 quick charges , id easily do that distance in 12 days , carrying 1-200kg of tools and with the aircon on pretty much solid and it costs me about 310 euro in diesel , so your saving 290 euro , but also losing the aircon and carrying capacity , also depending on what im doing , that 290 euro is between 2 and 6 hours work for me , even at 5 hours work thats 10 quick charges , which is the minimum youd make on your journey so even in my 4x4 it currently balances in my favour , i would have to make maybee 2 fuel stops in that at about 10 minutes each.

im not trying to put down your electric car, if it works for you, it works, but at this moment in time it still suits me to drive a 4x4 more than it does a leaf

a lovely beast

4.4 X5 here and love it
    Thank god for the recession :P luxury driving is finally within reach

Btw for the price of Leaf I would pay for my 4x4, pay top tax for few years, insurance, AND all the petrol and still have enough left over to put into savings
    Why waste a fortune on an "electric version of a Micra" when you can drive a beast of car (courtesy of FF dragging the country down the dumps) and have fun while at it.

4.4 X5 here and love it

Btw for the price of Leaf I would pay for my 4x4, pay top tax for few years, insurance, AND all the petrol and still have enough left over to put into savings
    Why waste a fortune on an "electric version of a Micra" when you can drive a beast of car (courtesy of FF dragging the country down the dumps) and have fun while at it.

For some reason you remind me of this fella:
    1scai1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

4.4 X5 here and love it

Thank God, some sanity prevails.

For some reason you remind me of this fella:
    1scai1.gif

Lol don't know who he is...

This whole
    "recession == bad"
    or
    "must save the planet for the Chinese (who will **** all over it anyways)"
    or
    "lets spend few K extra on a diesel to save few cents on petrol"

mentality is a bad buzz,
    Hell there are some really nice cars now available courtesy of the "recessionTM" like nice M5s for ~22K :eek:

4.4 X5 here and love it

If everyone did as you suggested the price of those secondhand 4x4's would sky rocket as demand increased and limited stock got even more limited.

I had a loan of a Micra for a day while my Leaf was getting an upgrade. The Leaf is far beyond an electric version of the Micra.

• Advertisement
Advertisement